Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Laptops in China
lily1
post Oct 20 2009, 04:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 444301
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello! My boyfriend just left to China for the next 6 months. He took his laptop over (from the US) thinking it would be his major form of communication. However, he can not seem to get it to work. A friend of his who is also living in China, from the US, experienced the same problem and ended up purchasing a laptop over there. Though the laptop purchased from China works, he has difficulty using it because it is all in Chinese. I've done research and others do not seem to have a problem using their laptops from the US. Is there something special that needs to be done in order to get their laptops from the US working?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Oct 20 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 893

I have not heard of this problem before and I definitely had no difficulties with my MacBook when I came over here. The computers here work the same way as in the US (other than being setup in Chinese) and probably the US ones were even built here. I would say that it may well be the nature and setup of your boyfriend's internet connection that may be the issue. Also, what programs are you using to communicate?

Remember that China is currently blocking YouTube and FaceBook.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
robjstaples
post Oct 20 2009, 05:35 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 589

Similar thoughts to aopaq - using an overseas computer in China is not a problem, but you do need to get the internet configuration sorted out. Don't assume you can use something from North America. Public wi-fi is readily available and lots of people can help you with the set up. Just have a careful chat to them before you let them play around with your settings.

If you need to buy a computer locally and are worried about Chinese language software, then unless you take a hardline stance on IP you can get an English language version of Windows almost anywhere...or just buy in Hong Kong where hardware is much cheaper.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelingdiva
post Oct 22 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #4

Explorer

Member No.: 201752

Hi Lily,
When I went to China I had trouble at first connecting with my laptop. It turns out I had to disable my Windows Firewall before I could use any of the free wifi networks I came across. If your boyfriend is willing to do that, it is worth a try. Once I had it disabled, everything worked great. I realize most people are not going to want to do this though, but that is the only way I got mine working.

--------------------

Local Travel Expert for Switzerland
Read about my life abroad
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Oct 28 2009, 01:50 AM
Post #5

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

It is just a setup problem. He needs to find someone to look at his computer. The problem is that the person will unlikely be able to work on the computer because it is in English, so he will need a translator to interpret. I bought a computer here and had everything put into English, so it can be done. There is English software available at most computer places. I don't know if he is working as a teacher, but he could ask the department he works for to help him.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Nov 9 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

If you do buy a computer in China, they can install English operating systems, but you'll still have some minor tweaking to do because since the shop won't speak English, they can't read the computer once they install the software, so you'll still need some help getting it all working together properly.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 12:24 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.