Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tibet Permit Issues, China has tightened up permits into Tibet
fourloves
post May 25 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2939

So, due to the 'tibet protests' held, the Chinese government is flexing its muscles and making Tibet permits very restrictive, expensive and unavailable to Foreigners. On the 22nd in Xian, it was 1000 Kwai for the permit, now on the 26th in Beijing, Leo's hostel has told me to wait for a few days to get a permit. From Lanzhou, one can get a black market ticket and go unpermitted, but one runs the risk of getting caught. Looks like the thorntree has a big discussion on the latest happenings...

Anyone else trying to get a permit right now? I would be interested to see how you did it!

Really wanting to get onto the plateau...

--------------------
MacK the Knife

"When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep" - Gibran
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 26 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

It ticks me off to hear that. It really does, but it's not much of a surprise. China is just following along the path they've taken in regards to Tibet. It's really sad, the whole thing. I would love to visit Tibet some day, but I've read that it's difficult to have a very genuine experience b/c of China's influence directly in the country....any thoughts on this?

Mack, let us know how it all turns out. I'd be really interested to know.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jun 1 2007, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

It is really annoying isn't it. I was kinda hoping they would scrap the permit with the opening of the rail link to Lhasa but it still appears just as bad sad.gif It cost me about 2000Yuan for the permit and flight from Chengdu and all we ever got was a photocopy of the permit between the 4 of us!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fourloves
post Jun 1 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #4

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2939

When were you there? Did anyone even ask for your photocopied permit?

Re Beijing: As of today, June 2, Leo's in Beijing isn't issuing any permit whatsoever, several hostels in Xian have refused, and Sim's in Chengdu says no go. This is after supposedly another flag buring on June 30th. I found one dude who runs a shady operation who is willing to get permits, but he seems way too eager and whispers alot. I have four friends who just got the photocopied permit thing, and it seems rather sketch. I met several backpackers here at Leo's who just bought black market tickets, and got back from Lhasa a few days ago without having any trouble. Might give it a go in the coming week. I'm fed up with waiting in Beijing for permits. Good luck to anyone trying right now - let me know how goeth it.

Cheers, and happy nonviolent protesting tongue.gif

P.S. Those who are getting permits are getting them for 350-400Y without tour.

--------------------
MacK the Knife

"When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep" - Gibran
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jun 2 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Yeah this was over a year ago when there was no problem getting permits. Most of the 2000 kwai was on the flight so Ihave no idea how much I spent on the actual permit. We got it through our guesthouse in Chengdu.

The only people that asked to see our permits were the people organising our land cruiser tour.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jun 4 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

. I found one dude who runs a shady operation who is willing to get permits, but he seems way too eager and whispers alot.

The Permit Whisperer. Sounds a little shady. Doesn't it suck when you really want to do something and there's a way but it seems shady. Do you? Don't you? Nothing vnentured nothing gained?

Sounds like a pain in the arse. Good luck to you!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gaelworld
post Jul 31 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 75729

Yes, sounds like tourist permit is getting a special concern. TTB just said they would issue it for free as of now, guess they are bored of all travel agents tricks and gimmicks.
Another way is the business permit. www.modern-tibet.com have some good explanation about it.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Aug 1 2007, 03:08 AM
Post #8

Planet Pioneer

They are issueing the permits free now? Great news if it is true!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mr_rain
post Aug 1 2007, 04:55 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 75505

Anyone else trying to get a permit right now? I would be interested to see how you did it!

Really wanting to get onto the plateau...
[/quote]

I can help you out. I just got back from Tibet. But will cost you! As I am going into business in Lhasa. It wont cost you one 1000!!!! more like 150.

There are a number of ways in. Dont listen to all the rubbish these agencies are talking, especially the ones in BJ they are useless. I just spent 2 months in Tibet. Easy, if you know how wink.gif

Check out Tibet Adventrue Travel company, due to be launched in a few weeks time, they, I mean I ,can help you out!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post Aug 1 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #10

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

four of us are planning to go through nepal into tibet in march/april. i assume this will be the same problem from that side as well?

is there anyone out there that has been to bhutan? if tibet is going to be an impossibility (but it sounds like there are ways around it), then what is the state of play with bhutan?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mr_rain
post Aug 1 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #11

You are going to make things harder for yourself in you go in via Bhutan. You will need two visas in this case, one for each country, and that will cost you even more

My agency can help you with itinery, transport, visa, accomodation in Lhasa. The permit can be processed in Tibet, but you will need to forward me a copy of your passport ( with a chinese visa, obtained in the UK prior to your entry to both Tibet or China), and pay a fee on 200 RMB per permit required. Thats the best, easiest and most guarenteed fail safe way for you to get into Tibet legally.

I have just returned from a two month trip, and 'know' the system there. It is complicated and seems even moreso when you operating from outside of the country!

The Tibet Adventrue Travel company will be trading soon, I am developing a website as we speak. We can help you out with any queries, if you so require.

Good Luck.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Aug 2 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #12

Planet Pioneer

I don't think it will be too difficult to get into Tibet. When I went I knew absolutely nothing about the permit or what was needed. I just used my guesthouse in Chengdu (Dragon Town I think which was dirt cheap but also dirty! Dorm was an openplan loft conversion with big holes in the wall where windows should be. Still only 1 a night so who cares!) to book the flight/permit combo to Lhasa which cost 2100yuan (135/$275).

I didn't think that was too bad as at the time it was the only way of getting in. If I went again I'd use the train and see some of Xinjiang province. Looking at the prices for flights now the cheapest is Air China @ 107 anyway without the permit.

The permit we recieved was just a fax with 4 names on it! According to the new rules you need to book a tour with whoever booked your permit (or something like that anyway) but we just rocked up in Lhasa with nowhere to stay, no tour booked and no flight out.

Found a great hotel (Yak Hotel, highly recommend!) without any difficulty, walked down the road to Snowlands hotel to book the tour (3800yuan between 4 people 60 each) for 6 days to Everest and back. Bargain as it was the end of season. Didn't even realise you needed a separate permit to leave Lhasa and we never got one.

I'm sure any guesthouse in Kathmandu will be able to sort you out a tour. 1 word of warning, the altitude rapidly goes up to over 5000 metres when you get towards Tibet so be very careful about altitude sickness as it could get very messy, very quickly.

-----

In terms of Bhutan it's a whole different ballgame. It's a place I'd love to visit someday but I'd have to be super rich! You have to go on a tour with a guide at all times, need to fly in or out of the country on state owned Drok Air and the minimum tour fee is set by the government at $200 a day! Would be amazing though.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Aug 2 2007, 07:33 AM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

In terms of Bhutan it's a whole different ballgame. It's a place I'd love to visit someday but I'd have to be super rich! You have to go on a tour with a guide at all times, need to fly in or out of the country on state owned Drok Air and the minimum tour fee is set by the government at $200 a day! Would be amazing though.

That's been the only deterrent for us going over-the cost. It would be incredible!

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Aug 2 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #14

Planet Pioneer

You can cross over the border from India to Phuentsholing for a day without a visa and you aren't allowed to spend the night. It may be a border town but I'd still like to go over and have a look for the afternoon and try some Bhutanese food.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
damdam62
post Sep 1 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 84795

Not 100% sure but I think the $200 requirement has been dropped. Bhutan is slowly addressing tourism but still no cake walk. This info was obtained via the net, I have not been to Bhutan.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mr_rain
post Sep 3 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #16

Still only 1 a night so who cares!) to book the flight/permit combo to Lhasa which cost 2100yuan (135/$275).

I didn't think that was too bad as at the time it was the only way of getting in. If I went again I'd use the train and see some of Xinjiang province. Looking at the prices for flights now the cheapest is Air China @ 107 anyway without the permit.

The permit we recieved was just a fax with 4 names on it! According to the new rules you need to book a tour with whoever booked your permit (or something like that anyway) but we just rocked up in Lhasa with nowhere to stay, no tour booked and no flight out.

Found a great hotel (Yak Hotel, highly recommend!) without any difficulty, walked down the road to Snowlands hotel to book the tour (3800yuan between 4 people 60 each) for 6 days to Everest and back. I'm sure any guesthouse in Kathmandu will be able to sort you out a tour.

Hmmm.... I met many travellers like you in Lhassa, all doing the same thing. All tripping to EBC. Boring. That is not *real Tibet*.

Also, the issue , despite what it states in my travellogue diary, THE FACT IS YOU WERE ILLEGAL , if you did not have a permit, YOU NEED ONE . You may get a travel agency to help you too, but some agencies are CRAP.

DO you always want to travel in group - another issue.

What if you *actually* want to experience the real Tibet, on bike, or do something different. There are other options.

If you ARE NOT IN a hurry, you wont suffer altitude problems, its only if you are the zip in and out part of the 'I saw Tibet' been there got the T shirt brigage in 5-7 days, NO WHERE NEAR enough time for this AMAZING country.

Too many independant travellers ALL with no imagination ,nor brains and I met a lot of em!!! Especially in LHASA
ranting2.gif ranting2.gif ranting2.gif ranting2.gif ranting2.gif ranting2.gif ranting2.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Sep 4 2007, 08:26 AM
Post #17

Planet Pioneer

Thanks for that mate! I'm sorry that I could only stay in Tibet for a week and that it angers you for some reason but that's all I could do on this trip.

I didn't travel as a group, I hired a Landcruiser with 3 friends. No following the flag, identical baseball cap brigade for me.

If the travel restrictions weren't so stupid in Tibet then maybe I would have stayed longer. Yes I followed the beaten track like everyone else but you'll find there are tourist trails in every country in the world that most people follow.

I did have a permit so I wasn't there illegally and I'm glad I went when I did as the report I saw on TV the other day shows just how the Chinese are ruining it. Enjoy the train to Base Camp in a few years......

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 01:54 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.