Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Niteori Barzil
cookie03045
post Oct 19 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 442941

Hi..I am traveling to Brazil for the first time next Saturady..I live in NH, USA. I hear so many bad things about Brazil and I am nervous..is it really bad there?? Is the food and water ok..I am kind of nervous reading everything about how I need to be really careful for theives and even small children begging..is it really that bad there? I am staying in Niteori..can anyone tell me places that are nice to visit...any must sees??
Thanks for any help!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 19 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Who are you going with? I think you'll be OK. Just stay aware of your surroundings at all times.

Check the blogs, lots of people go to Brazil all the time and return safe and sound: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-count...razil/tpod.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cookie03045
post Oct 19 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 442941

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Oct 19 2009, 03:24 PM) *

Who are you going with? I think you'll be OK. Just stay aware of your surroundings at all times.

Check the blogs, lots of people go to Brazil all the time and return safe and sound: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-count...razil/tpod.html

I am going with my husband..is it ok to drink the water there and do I need any shots? He works for the government and he got quite a few shots...some people said I should get shots and others said not needed. Do you live in Brazil? I am going to Niteori..do you know that area. Can you reccomend things we should see there? Thanks so much!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 19 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

I don't live in Brazil, I live in Canada!

Just ask before drinking the water out of the tap.

From Wikitravel: In airports, bus stations, as well as many of the cheaper hotels, it is common to find drinking fountains (bebedouro). In hostel kitchens, look for the tap with the cylindrical filter attached. In more expensive hotels, there is often no publicly accessible fountain, and bedrooms contain minibars selling you mineral water at inflated prices.

What city are you going to?

I think you'll only need anti-malaria pills or shots if you are going to the Amazon.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Oct 20 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #5

Tripper

Member No.: 2195

Hi Cookie,

I used to live in Rio some years back. Crime has certainly increased since I was there, but it is not as bad as it is often painted. Pickpockets and begging children are certainly not exclusive Carioca problems. It can be devastating at first, but surprisingly you soon get hardened to it all and you will find the positive side. One thing you will encounter is the incredible hospitality and friendliness of Brazilians. If your husband works for the government you will probably be involved with the local ex-pat community, but don't just stick around with them, get out and meet Brazilians too. Learn a bit of Portuguese. Try to blend in with the locals.

I've lived in South America for 28 years total, and never had a shot. Often it's a matter of perception. If you feel nervous without shots, then get them. If you are going to the deepest Amazon jungle, then some shots may be recommendable.

Niteroi is considered by Cariocas as essentially a dormitory town across the bay. Jokingly Rio people say there is a sign at the Niteroi end of the bridge that states "The North-East Starts Here". You will understand that when you get there. Although Niteroi is a city in itself, many, many people cross by ferry or over the bridge to work in Rio. This makes Niteroi less susceptible to crime and violence, and hence safer. That's not to say there is no crime at all, of course.

Water is also a perceived problem. All major cities in the world have similar water purifying systems, so Rio's water is probably as good as any city. Nevertheless, if you feel nervous about drinking the water, then by all means stick to bottled water. It's cheap enough in Brazil. I live in Miami. I drink tap water, but am in a minority. Some people look at me as if I'm crazy to trust the public water system.

The last thing you should worry about in Brazil is the food, which is probably much healthier and fresher that the food you eat in the United States.

See the travel blogs starlagurl sent for suggestions in Rio.

I found this great blog from a Canadian couple who moved to Rio a year and a half ago.
http://dailyriolife.typepad.com/my_weblog/

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 06:42 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.