Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what to see in india
firsttimearound
post Oct 18 2009, 05:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 438781
Nominate me as a Local Expert

first time posting so HI

my friend and I are planning our first travelling experience (ive done a bit but nothing on this scale) around the world for six months

our first stop will be india, fly in to delhi, we have approx 4 weeks before we fly out of mumbai. i have doen some research and there is so much i want to see, its such a vast plae and im getting a bit overwhelmed as to what to do. i anted to go to kathmandu to see the base camps maybe do a small trek, but out travel agent said that would add to much onto the cost of our ticket.

anyway what would u recommend to see?

also, the travel agent was also trying to sell us tours (its STA) are these necessary or can u get tours cheaper while there and how would we go about doing this?, or can you do it yourself by local trains/ buses?

thanks in advance
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Oct 19 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

First thing I would say, is if you are confident and independent person, don't go with a tour or a travel agent.

You will save money and also feel more accomplished once you know you can do it yourself.

I think, that if you want to go to Kathmandu, you should go to Kathmandu. I'm sure you could make it from Delhi to Kathmandu to Delhi in 4 weeks.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
irock
post Oct 22 2009, 10:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 210963

QUOTE(firsttimearound @ Oct 18 2009, 05:54 AM) *

first time posting so HI

my friend and I are planning our first travelling experience (ive done a bit but nothing on this scale) around the world for six months

our first stop will be india, fly in to delhi, we have approx 4 weeks before we fly out of mumbai. i have doen some research and there is so much i want to see, its such a vast plae and im getting a bit overwhelmed as to what to do. i anted to go to kathmandu to see the base camps maybe do a small trek, but out travel agent said that would add to much onto the cost of our ticket.

anyway what would u recommend to see?

also, the travel agent was also trying to sell us tours (its STA) are these necessary or can u get tours cheaper while there and how would we go about doing this?, or can you do it yourself by local trains/ buses?

thanks in advance

End of the year presumably Nov / Dec? Excellent time weather wise. Terrible time booking wise, so do book as soon as you have worked out your itinerary.

What are your interests i.e. beaches, monuments, wildlife sanctuaries, tea gardens, hill stations, temples, yoga, ayurvedic spas, shopping ...?

Since you have a month you can see a fair spectrum of India. You may want to start ex Delhi - Agra - Varanasi - Rajasthan - Mumbai [as a base for Ajanta & Ellora] - Goa - Kerala . You could also visit the sub Himalayan regions of Sikkim, Uttaranchal or Himachal.

If it is your first visit to India, get an idea from websites such as:http://www.incredibleindia.org/

http://www.india-tourism.net/

and compare with a google search of other sites.

Book and compare rates for cheap domestic flights at makemytrip.com; ezeego1.com hotels at travelguru.com and trains at www.indianrail.gov.in/

This is just a very rough basic idea, there is actually so very much to see and explore in India, which can never be quantified. Once you narrow down your choices, you can get more specific information.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
firsttimearound
post Oct 24 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 438781

What are your interests i.e. beaches, monuments, wildlife sanctuaries, tea gardens, hill stations, temples, yoga, ayurvedic spas, shopping ...?

a bit of everything i guess, maybe not so much spas and shopping

we fly into delhi and out of mumbai

rough idea from researching is to do a tour of rajasthan ie agra jaipur etc, then fly to keralla, then train to goa then mumbai

only thing myself and friend are concerned over is booking tours etc. obviously sta have tried to sell us theirs and google searches come up with independent sites selling tours, but im convinced they would be cheaper there and then!!

This is just a very rough basic idea, there is actually so very much to see and explore in India, which can never be quantified. Once you narrow down your choices, you can get more specific information.
[/quote]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Oct 24 2009, 09:12 AM
Post #5

Commuter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 217489

A full base camp trek from Everest is 10-18 days, so you might have to take that into account. You can take a bus from Varanasi to Kathmandu in about a day, otherwise there are frequent flights. For having only 4 weeks it might be a bit hard to put a full everest trek in and do India unless you make that the highest priority. I'm going apart of a year long trip starting next year, and in 4 weeks in India I am going to go to the following cities:

Delhi, Goa, Kanha National Park [or another one in the area], Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Varanasi, Mumbai, Udaipur.

If you wanted to do a lot of Everest you could spend time in the Northern part of India.. just doing Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, and Varanasi before doing some of Nepal. But it would still be a stretch for all that in 4 weeks.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ddemetrius456
post Nov 2 2009, 07:37 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 476851

If you are visiting Delhi then go to see the Taj Mahal, Red Fort, Humayun Tomb, Birla Temple, India Gate, National Museum.There are so many other places t visit too. Cities around Delhi are of great interests namely Jaipur, Agra, Chadigargh. You can visit Kathmandu. I nearby. Will take an hour or so in he flight. Have a nice trip.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 06:31 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.