Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BKK airport changes
Paul
post May 14 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi. Just got home again and noticed some changes. There is a sign up saying you have to show an onward ticket at Immigration. Has anybody been asked to do this? They didn't ask me.

Also I see now that the metered taxis and shuttle buses are available from downstairs.

So for people arriving into Bangkok, probably get one of those. If you use the taxis you pay what is on the meter at the end of the trip plus a 50 Baht surcharge for picking you up at the airport. Plus if you go through toll ways you pay those costs too. So don't worry - you aren't getting ripped off if you do all that - you are paying the correct and fair fare.

I do apologise though for the hassle you get when you first arrive. As you come through the gate many people will ask you if you want a taxi. These people supply the limo type taxis and are more expensive. For some unknown reason the Airport authority gave some company a contract to have these people in the airport selling the more expensive taxis. It is supposed to be more convenient for you, but it is a bit annoying. So when you arrive and you are half asleep and in a new place you end up being asked too many times whether you want a taxi from these guys and girls. Please just smile and politely say no. They are just doing their job. Head downstairs and get a shuttle bus or metered taxi.

It is a shame that new arrivals to Thailand get this treatment and I hope it is not representative of the rest of your trip.

Maybe by the end of the year there will be a sky train link to the airport also.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 14 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Maybe by the end of the year there will be a sky train link to the airport also

That would be awesomely awesome! rofl.png

Some airports are great and hassle-free, and others not-so-much, but hopefully not many people conclude what a country or its people are like b/c of how the airport appears or is. That would be like judging a book by its cover and we all know that's jumping the gun...you've got to get beneath it all to really know what a place is like. yes.gif and beneath the possibly hassling taxi drivers there's a world of wonder to be found in Thailand!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 26 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Navigator

I noticed in the Thai Visa webpage forum, a few other people had commented that the new rules (or old rules that are now being enforced) are that you need to have an onward ticket from Thailand, for travel within 30 days, if you arrive without a visa (and wish to use the free 30 day free visa thing).

What I am badly trying to say is that you need to show some paperwork/ticket that you will leave Thailand within 30 days if you are arriving with no valid Thai visa.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post May 27 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Good to know Paul. Thanks. The easy days are over!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post May 27 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #5

Navigator

Hmmm, yeah. Maybe you could buy a cheap bus ticket to Cambodia from an Internet site somewhere. But??? Or maybe you could start up a company selling bus tickets to Cambodia on the Internet.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fourloves
post May 27 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2939

QUOTE(Paul @ May 27 2007, 09:40 AM) *

Hmmm, yeah. Maybe you could buy a cheap bus ticket to Cambodia from an Internet site somewhere. But??? Or maybe you could start up a company selling bus tickets to Cambodia on the Internet.

Most other places never really seem to check etickets... Usually I just make up a probable-sounding eticket confirmation number, or make a 'reserve' flight booking (hold the flight and get confirmation, but don't pay - just cancel the reservation later). I mean, this is really useful if you're like some of us who buy tickets out at the last minute. Otherwise, I would say use discretion in this matter as you could get in trouble for lying or trying to stay in the country. Doesn't hurt to bend the truth sometimes though. tongue.gif

--------------------
MacK the Knife

"When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep" - Gibran
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
buzzingtalk
post Jun 11 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 52746

hmm this could be a problem. im travelling into thailand in the next few weeks on train but will leave on train or plane depending on time. i know i have to leave malaysia on the 16th july in order to get back to london - and by the time ive entered thailand, it will be less than a month before i have to leave for london. do you think a photocopy of my plane ticket leaving malaysia will be enough (the real ticket will be at my dads safely locked away)? it doesnt say ill leave thailand but it says ill leave SE Asia in less than a month from the time of entry. i hope this will be enough as i really dont know what route ill take out of thailand and dont want to commit myself to something.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 11 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #8

Navigator

I don't know. Good question.

Maybe see if you can get the answer from the Thai embassy at home or from www.thaivisa.com

Please let us know the answer.

Paul
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lisartw
post Jun 11 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #9

Wayfarer

Member No.: 3672

VISA
I flew from Siem Reap into BKK 2 weeks ago, saw the new signs up at immigration about what you have to show to get a visa on arrival but neither me or my boyfriend was asked to show anything, depsite the sign saying you MUST show proof of onward travel etc...

As it happens we'd already booked a flight to Singapore and our tickets home showed that we were leaving Singapore in less than a month, so if they'd have asked we would have been fine but we weren't asked anything, just given a months visa and a big smile smile.gif

TRANSPORT FROM BKK
To echo what Paul's already said, when you arrive head downstairs, you have to run the gauntlet past all the taxi touts (just smile and say NO, NO, NO), but when you get downstairs the yellow taxis are the best ones to get, just go to the people on the desk and they'll sort you out. Or head as far left as you can and speak to the people at the airport bus shuttle desk, it's 150 bhat per person to get the shuttle to the Kho San Road (bus number AE2). If you have somewhere specific to get off (ie a hotel) the driver is normally very helpful at letting you off nearby if he possibly can.

LOOKING LOST AT BKK
If you have to look at a map or a guidebook DO IT DOWNSTAIRS, if you hesitate for one moment upstairs the taxi touts will pounce and convince you that you can't get anywhere without taking their taxi. I've seen it happen many-a-time. There are so touts that hang about near the shuttle bus area but not as many as upstairs.

Bangkok is a great place, the hassles at the airport are minor ones so don't be put off.

This may all sound like waffle but it will make sense when you arrive.

Enjoy!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post Jun 21 2007, 03:21 AM
Post #10

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

buzzingtalk,
can you not just get a 30 day visa prior to arriving? will that then negate the need for proof of an exit ticket?

bkk is a nice looking airport by the way, if a little confusing as the shops in the departure lounge area seem to be mirror imaged either side of the point of entry... and the prices are ridiculous for 'duty free'.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 26 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #11

Navigator

Increased visa fees from July 2, 2007
Penang is issuing Multi entry visas again

As of July 2, 2007, the Royal Thai Embassies and the Royal Thai Consulates will raise the visa fees as follows:

1. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA
o US $60.00 for single entry
o US $150.00 for multiple entries
o US $150.00 (APEC Multiple Entries)
o US $300.00 (Three-year Non-Immigrant "B" for Business and Work)

2. TOURIST VISA
o US $30.00 per entry

3. TRANSIT VISA
o US $25.00 per entry

Source:
http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/
http://www.thaiembdc.org/
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 09:26 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.