Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thailand Starter Kit, Everything you want to know about Thailand
Paul
post Apr 18 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #41

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(sk1008 @ Apr 7 2008, 01:17 PM) *

Hello Paul
never come across such detailed info on a blog. tks fr all yr efforts. i have afew qs if no problem
-i plan to come with my family in june/july. we are a couple and a child of 8 years. no of days no problem.plan to spend 4-5 days in bangkok and want to spend some days in south too. a bit confused about how much time to spend and where. heard a lot about phuket. but some suggested to stay in krabi province (ao nang, railey, phi phi_) better than staying in phuket. but then which of these i should stay. some say that if travelling with only a couple and a child , these places may get "dull" as in this season it's a bit slow and not lively. so your suggestion on where to spend how much time at these places will be useful.
thanks

Hi, sorry for my slow reply.

Ummm, ????

Phuket is quite touristy, but it is a big place and so some quiet areas and some lively areas. Maybe it is a good choice as there is probably the widest range of activities there.

Ao Nang - not really that big and a bit orientated to bars and back packers.

Railey - I like. It has gotten a bit expensive, but I am thinking the 100 Baht places are no longer there or not as many - so you might be beyond that anyway. Great climbing there if that helps. Some very nice beaches and places to stay, but again it is a bit confined / limited in activities. Could do some boat trips from here, and visit the beaches. Hmmm, enough to keep me occupied for a few days or more, but depends on you.

Krabi - a Thai town and nice. Probably much more touristy and developed than when I was last there, but it is less Westerner orientated than Phuket. No beaches in Krabi itself - it is a base to go to other beaches. Also hot springs, temples, river kayaking, etc around.

Phi Phi - I have never been??? I get the impression the beaches are very nice and it is well established to cater for tourists.

Hope that helps.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Paul
post Aug 6 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #42

Navigator

http://www.adventurechiangrai.com/index.php

This looks nice.

flowers.png
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
johnminasia
post Sep 18 2008, 02:07 AM
Post #43

Drifter

Member No.: 230556

QUOTE(fourloves @ Jul 3 2007, 01:31 AM) *

Currently undergoing surgical extraction with Grace Dental on Soi 11, Nimmanheimmen Rd, Chiang Mai. They are a little more expensive than others in town, but they seem to be the most "western" in terms of service, language, and quality. I had the first part of my operation 3 days ago, and have felt very little pain. The procedure was fast, painless, and I have recovered very quickly. The cost is 1000-2000 Baht per surgical extraction - one of the most expensive operations there.

I have heard good thing about the Chiang Mai university, but cannot personally vouch for it. I will vouch for Grace dental. I have also met many farangs doing titanium posts, root canals, and crowns - all very satisfied people.

I will check on prices next weekend when I go back for crowns and root canals if you wish.

Happy dental procedure to you!

PS - A new hostel in the area is Spicythai Backpackers, run by pong. It is a great place, not the cheapest in town, but a short walk to the clinic, and very relaxing for a post-op recoverer. Check it out! 4/80 Nantawan village (A little past Soi 4 on Nimmanheimmen)

java script:emoticon(':speak_cool:',%20'smid_40')
Hey You made a great choice. Thats who I use when for all my dental services !! speak_cool.gif speak_cool.gif speak_cool.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Sep 18 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #44

Navigator

Hi.

One thing I should change / add to that starter kit that I wrote:

I said that tipping isn't standard practice in Thailand and not expected on most occasions. I also mentioned that wealthier people are often quite happy to tip and spend a bit extra to show their wealth and spread it around.

Please put those two thoughts together.

When you are staying in the cheapest places and just eating at very normal Thai food stalls and restaurants, then no tipping is expected. Greatly appreciated if you feel you want to do it - but not necessary.

If you are staying in expensive places and eating at expensive restaurants and driving around in limousines - OK, it may be nice if you tip people that service you. You clearly have money - so pass some around to everyone.
Tipping is still up to you and not compulsory - but as you hang around the more fancy places - it is getting to the stage of being almost expected / normal.

If you can't afford it - OK, never mind. And keep in mind that there are 20 Baht noodles just down the road.

See ya
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 16 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #45

Navigator

QUOTE(afect @ Feb 15 2010, 06:05 PM) *

How about this for a visit in Thailand -

The Association for Akha Education and Culture in Thailand is the oldest charity in S.E. Asia assisting ethnic indigenous minorities. Our humanitarian work focuses on Burmese refugees entering Thailand from Burma's Shan state although we also support 'hill tribe' groups. We provide free education and health and assist in human rights through 264 villages. We are currently building a new school on the Burmese Thai Border for 95 at risk burmese refugees who are currently working as factory workers in Mai Sai.

AFECT also offers International Volunteer Opportunities and educational cultural exchange. This is to promote international understanding and goodwill by providing high quality cultural volunteer opportunities. AFECT's trekking is excellent and they also have an eco tour. The good thing about the NGO is that its run and managed by indigenous people for indigenous people.

http://www.akhathai.org
http://www.akhaasia.org

Hmmm, I think you'll find it isn't the oldest charity in S.E. Asia assisting ethnic indigenous minorities - but thanks for the info. Very useful
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:37 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.