Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Problems copying map pins
will
post May 6 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 952

The new google maps are great, but is anyone else having massive problems copying map pins? The option is there, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 6 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #2

HitchHiker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

QUOTE(will @ May 6 2007, 03:30 PM) *

The new google maps are great, but is anyone else having massive problems copying map pins? The option is there, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

We fixed an issue with this a while back... if you're still having a problem, please post the entry you are editing and the exact map pin you are trying to copy.

We'll try to replicate it with your account so that we can solve your problem.

Thanks

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post May 7 2007, 04:03 AM
Post #3

Expeditionist

We fixed an issue with this a while back... if you're still having a problem, please post the entry you are editing and the exact map pin you are trying to copy.

Thanks

It's still not working for me. I'm not sure what you mean by 'post the entry' sorry. Basically, I have a new entry for 'Zakopane' in Poland. My last entry was for 'Opole' in Poland. So the map pin for my new Zakopane entry is automatically set to Opole. I try to copy the map pin for another Zakopane entry in my blog and it just won't work. Even more frustrating is that I can't set the map min manually, because when you move the cursor over the map pin it brings up info about the pin, so you can't create a new pin on top of an old one.

AARGH!!!

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 7 2007, 06:17 AM
Post #4

HitchHiker

QUOTE(will @ May 7 2007, 09:03 AM) *

Thanks

It's still not working for me. I'm not sure what you mean by 'post the entry' sorry. Basically, I have a new entry for 'Zakopane' in Poland. My last entry was for 'Opole' in Poland. So the map pin for my new Zakopane entry is automatically set to Opole. I try to copy the map pin for another Zakopane entry in my blog and it just won't work. Even more frustrating is that I can't set the map min manually, because when you move the cursor over the map pin it brings up info about the pin, so you can't create a new pin on top of an old one.

AARGH!!!

Thanks for the details Will, we were able to reproduce it and fix it.

Let us know if you have any other issues.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post May 7 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Thanks for the details Will, we were able to reproduce it and fix it.

Let us know if you have any other issues.

Awesome! Thanks!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post May 10 2007, 04:50 AM
Post #6

Expeditionist

I think there might still be an issue with the copying of map pins. I've been updating a few of my map pins as sometimes they were 10 or 20km off, but unfortunately the "Copy map pin option" still doesn't seem to work for me. Once you click on the entry you want to copy the pin to, the window closes, but when you zoom in you see that it hasn't changed at all.

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 10 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #7

HitchHiker

QUOTE(will @ May 10 2007, 09:50 AM) *

I think there might still be an issue with the copying of map pins. I've been updating a few of my map pins as sometimes they were 10 or 20km off, but unfortunately the "Copy map pin option" still doesn't seem to work for me. Once you click on the entry you want to copy the pin to, the window closes, but when you zoom in you see that it hasn't changed at all.

If you can please list the exact steps to recreate this ( the more specific the better ) we'll recreate the issue and fix it.

Thanks

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post May 11 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #8

Expeditionist

If you can please list the exact steps to recreate this ( the more specific the better ) we'll recreate the issue and fix it.

I just can't get this function to work, ever!

1. Edit a travelblog.
2. Click on "Map pin" for any entry
(The Set Map pin dialog box opens.)
3. Select any choice from the "Copy map pin from" drop down box.
(The dialog box does some processing)
4. Click "Accept map pin location"
(You are returned to the edit travelblog page)
5. Click on "Map pin" for the same entry you just edited.
6. Zoom in to see that the map pin hasn't changed, even though you did all the steps above!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 11 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #9

HitchHiker

QUOTE(will @ May 11 2007, 09:22 AM) *

I just can't get this function to work, ever!

1. Edit a travelblog.
6. Zoom in to see that the map pin hasn't changed, even though you did all the steps above!

I just replayed the exacts steps you mentioned and it works well for me using your travel blog.

Which Operating System / Browser / version are you using? Also, a few more questions:

Questions within your steps below:

1. Edit a travelblog.
<Which of your blogs?>

<Which entry are you copying from and to, just so that we're testing with the same one>

<At this point, does the map pin get updated to the correct location visually on the map?>

<Does it look like it changed before zooming in? >

Thanks.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post May 11 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #10

Expeditionist

Which Operating System / Browser / version are you using?

Windows XP Home

1. Edit a travelblog.
<Which of your blogs?>

My current one, for Eastern Europe.

<Which entry are you copying from and to, just so that we're testing with the same one>

Any one. For example I have two Zakopane entries and two Kotor entries. Try copying one map pin to another one for the same location. Doesn't work.

<At this point, does the map pin get updated to the correct location visually on the map?>

No

<Does it look like it changed before zooming in? >

Not really, but it's hard to tell, because you need to zoom in one or two steps to see that it hasn't changed.

It's not really a major problem I guess, just a little annoying. Although I'm surprised it seems to work for everyone except me!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 12 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #11

HitchHiker

Will, it seems that both of your pins for each Zakopane entry are exactly the same so copying from one to the other could result in the same placement.

Unfortunately, until we can replicate the problem we won't be able to fix it.

Sorry about this but we're trying our best to replicate the issue.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
radsolv
post May 12 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #12

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 95
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I have pretty much given up on the Map Pin placement problem. Decided it really doesn't matter, or isn't worth the effort.

However, this observation might help. I was having fits trying to reposition a map pin, and assured myself that I was following each step exactly as indicated.

One of the steps said click on the new desired pin position. I did this and it just didn't work. Then somehow I discovered that timing seem to matter. I had been clicking assertively and holding the mouse clicker down for a second or three.

When I performed the same steps but instead did a very quick click and release the function worked as advertised.

Could timing of duration of clicks have something to do with these sorts of problems?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 12 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #13

HitchHiker

QUOTE(radsolv @ May 12 2007, 07:49 PM) *

I have pretty much given up on the Map Pin placement problem. Decided it really doesn't matter, or isn't worth the effort.

However, this observation might help. I was having fits trying to reposition a map pin, and assured myself that I was following each step exactly as indicated.

One of the steps said click on the new desired pin position. I did this and it just didn't work. Then somehow I discovered that timing seem to matter. I had been clicking assertively and holding the mouse clicker down for a second or three.

When I performed the same steps but instead did a very quick click and release the function worked as advertised.

Could timing of duration of clicks have something to do with these sorts of problems?

Shouldn't be ... we have a release coming out next week that will update the maps and could resolve this though.

Hang tight.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
off_road_clara
post May 26 2007, 02:22 AM
Post #14

Drifter

Member No.: 430

Hi Lucky,

Sadly I have to report that I have not been able to get the 'copy map pin' function to work for some time. I thought it was because I was connected to a very slow server in South Africa, because it had always worked fine while using the system in Pretoria, where we have broadband. However, now that I am back in Pretoria, it still isn't working.

I'll try and explain exactly what is happening, but it sounds very similar to the previous travelpod member's experience.

1. I've tried using the feature while connected to broadband, dial-up and wifi, using Windows 98, ME and XP and also Mac OSX. None have worked.

2. I create my entry and get taken to the map pin page to either accept or change pin location. I click change pin location, as often I am moving from one place to another. However, because of my research, I visit the same places many times, hence why the 'copy previous pin' feature has always been so handy. An example is entry 254 in my Africa 2005 travelogue - although the same has been happening in my 'diving 2006' travelogue. (I wondered if it was because I had lots of map pins already - but my diving travelogue is new, so it doesn't seem to be a factor)

3. In the 'set location' browser window I get the usual page showing the map with the previous pin location, depicted buy the red marker. It is not in the right place, so I want to change it. Instead of doing it manually, I click on the 'copy map pin from' dialogue box. It opens and gives me a list of all my entries. I scroll through and select the place I want - in this case 'Satara' which is from the entry 'time to drive for a lion count'. I click it and it is highlighted in the box. The window updates, but stays on the screen, the red marker does not move and the 'copy map pin' dialogue box goes back to the original text of 'select an entry to copy map pin of'.

4. I have tried accepting this by then clicking on the 'accept map pin' button, incase it was just a matter of not updating in the window properly, but it was successfully updating on the travelogue. I opened the entry as a guest and found the map pin in the previous location - so it obviously hadn't copied it.

5. I have tried to move the pin manually, but because of the nice feature to get info on the previous pins, you cannot select the same place without creating lots of pins just slightly away from each other. A nice feature on this by the way would be to have a button within this info bubble that you could click to move the pin you are trying to assign to the same destination - ie. doing a 'copy from' by sight rather than through the list.

6. I have tried to go back to the entry and edit the map pin using the 'copy pin from' feature and it still does not work.

7. My dive travelogue also gives a good example of how I have not been able to replicate or copy pins. If you look at the map in the largest detail available you will see multiple pins assigned to a similar area as this was the only way to place them in the end, as the feature would not operate properly.

8. I have also tried clicking on the steps of this feature as metioned in an earlier post on this list, but it made no difference for me.

So, i hope this explanation gives you a better idea of what has been tried, what isn't working and maybe you can try and replicate it from you end and see if it works. The main thing to remember is that this used to work fine prior to the last map updates, so I wonder if there is a bug somewhere. I have tried using the different map options (hybrid, etc) but that also made no difference.

Otherwise, the site is wonderful, it remains an important part of my life, in that I can log what is happening to me, thoughts, places, people and i value it's existence greatly - emotional I know!

Hope you can help,
Hi and thanks to all the team,
Off Road Clara

--------------------
Welcome to my world. Hop on board with Off Road Clara
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post May 31 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #15

HitchHiker

QUOTE(off_road_clara @ May 26 2007, 07:22 AM) *

Hi Lucky,

Sadly I have to report that I have not been able to get the 'copy map pin' function to work for some time. I thought it was because I was connected to a very slow server in South Africa, because it had always worked fine while using the system in Pretoria, where we have broadband. However, now that I am back in Pretoria, it still isn't working.

I'll try and explain exactly what is happening, but it sounds very similar to the previous travelpod member's experience.

1. I've tried using the feature while connected to broadband, dial-up and wifi, using Windows 98, ME and XP and also Mac OSX. None have worked.

2. I create my entry and get taken to the map pin page to either accept or change pin location. I click change pin location, as often I am moving from one place to another. However, because of my research, I visit the same places many times, hence why the 'copy previous pin' feature has always been so handy. An example is entry 254 in my Africa 2005 travelogue - although the same has been happening in my 'diving 2006' travelogue. (I wondered if it was because I had lots of map pins already - but my diving travelogue is new, so it doesn't seem to be a factor)

3. In the 'set location' browser window I get the usual page showing the map with the previous pin location, depicted buy the red marker. It is not in the right place, so I want to change it. Instead of doing it manually, I click on the 'copy map pin from' dialogue box. It opens and gives me a list of all my entries. I scroll through and select the place I want - in this case 'Satara' which is from the entry 'time to drive for a lion count'. I click it and it is highlighted in the box. The window updates, but stays on the screen, the red marker does not move and the 'copy map pin' dialogue box goes back to the original text of 'select an entry to copy map pin of'.

4. I have tried accepting this by then clicking on the 'accept map pin' button, incase it was just a matter of not updating in the window properly, but it was successfully updating on the travelogue. I opened the entry as a guest and found the map pin in the previous location - so it obviously hadn't copied it.

5. I have tried to move the pin manually, but because of the nice feature to get info on the previous pins, you cannot select the same place without creating lots of pins just slightly away from each other. A nice feature on this by the way would be to have a button within this info bubble that you could click to move the pin you are trying to assign to the same destination - ie. doing a 'copy from' by sight rather than through the list.

6. I have tried to go back to the entry and edit the map pin using the 'copy pin from' feature and it still does not work.

7. My dive travelogue also gives a good example of how I have not been able to replicate or copy pins. If you look at the map in the largest detail available you will see multiple pins assigned to a similar area as this was the only way to place them in the end, as the feature would not operate properly.

8. I have also tried clicking on the steps of this feature as metioned in an earlier post on this list, but it made no difference for me.

So, i hope this explanation gives you a better idea of what has been tried, what isn't working and maybe you can try and replicate it from you end and see if it works. The main thing to remember is that this used to work fine prior to the last map updates, so I wonder if there is a bug somewhere. I have tried using the different map options (hybrid, etc) but that also made no difference.

Otherwise, the site is wonderful, it remains an important part of my life, in that I can log what is happening to me, thoughts, places, people and i value it's existence greatly - emotional I know!

Hope you can help,
Hi and thanks to all the team,
Off Road Clara

Sorry for the delay but we've got someone looking into this, we should get to it soon enough.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
off_road_clara
post Jun 1 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #16

Drifter

Sorry for the delay but we've got someone looking into this, we should get to it soon enough.

Thanks Lucky. Just as an extra - when useing the 'search for a place' facility to start a new pin - today it was 'Pretoria' in my 'dive 2007' journal - the google map found it and placed the red marker flag in exactly the right place. But, a dialogue box appeared to tell me that Pretoria could not be found, although it didn't alter the red flag that had already been put in the correct place. I clicked ok, and all was well!

This is obviously a seperate thing from the 'copy map pin' feature - but it also seems a little confused. Again, perhaps it is due software compatabilities - i am using a windows XP machine today.

Thanks though for all your help,
All the best
off_road_clara

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lucky
post Jun 5 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #17

HitchHiker

Clara,

Are you experiencing these problems with different PCs? I'm wondering if it's related to your setup. Can you tell us what type of PC you use and the browser type / version and operating system?

Thanks

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jun 6 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #18

Group:
Member No.:

Hey guys,

We have just promoted some new changes to TravelPod that should increase the speed of google map loading. I hope this results if faster page loads for everyone. Let us know.

Cheers,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
post Jun 6 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #19

Group:
Member No.:

QUOTE(off_road_clara @ Jun 1 2007, 03:55 AM) *

Thanks Lucky. Just as an extra - when useing the 'search for a place' facility to start a new pin - today it was 'Pretoria' in my 'dive 2007' journal - the google map found it and placed the red marker flag in exactly the right place. But, a dialogue box appeared to tell me that Pretoria could not be found, although it didn't alter the red flag that had already been put in the correct place. I clicked ok, and all was well!

This is obviously a seperate thing from the 'copy map pin' feature - but it also seems a little confused. Again, perhaps it is due software compatabilities - i am using a windows XP machine today.

Thanks though for all your help,
All the best
off_road_clara

Hey Clara,

This problem should be resolved now. Let me know if it works for you or if you are still having problems.

Cheers,
Shaun
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
off_road_clara
post Jun 17 2007, 04:58 AM
Post #20

Drifter

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your help, but I am still having major problems. To answer Lucky's question - we use Internet Explorer Hyper Text Transfer Protocol.

An example of the problem - my 'dive 2007' journal. First entry now changed map pin manually to the correct placing for Sodwana Bay. I now want to use the same placement for entry number 2. I open 'edit map pin' and select the point for entry number 1 ' i saw two fish (Sodwana Bay)' from the 'copy map pin dialogue box'. The window relaunches and I check the map at the best scale and the pin hasn't changed location. Here's the stange part:
If I close this window WITHOUT clicking the 'accept map pin' location, if I then reopen the entry by clicking on the 'edit map pin' tab, the pin is in the right place - so it has copied it.
If I close the window by clicking on the 'accept map pin' location and then check by reopening the entry by clicking on the 'edit map pin' tab, the pin has not been changed and has not been copied.

Therefore, the only way I can get this feature to work is by opening the entry, choosing the point I want to copy from, waiting for the window to relaunch, close the window manually without accepting the map pin - and then everything is fine!

I just think that this has all the makings of an irritating but small little bug, that is either attached to my stuff somehow on the server, or is more general. As mentioned before, I have used a wide range of machines, windows and Mac software, but only ever Internet Explorer.

In the meantime, I love the much improved maps and faster loading time. Please don't take my ongoing communication on the map pins as a negative - it's just so you know. Travelpod is great!

Thanks again for all your help,
Claire

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:49 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.