Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Girls on Tour, Alice to Uluru
teedee
post Oct 11 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 270096

So the accommodation was booked, tours planned and car fuelled up and ready to go as Helen, Jane, Shirley, Sally and myself took to road for the ultimate Red Centre Road trip driving from Alice Springs to King Canyon and ultimately to view the always spectacular Uluru.

The day arrived where we set off from Alice Springs to Kings Canyon, in our sturdy little Rav 4, and we decided that the Mereenie Loop was the most adventurous path. The air was tingling with excitement as we could think of nothing more exhilarating that 5 young lasses venturing into the unknown of the outback.

After a quick stop off to get our pass for the Mereenie Loop (as it goes through Indigenous lands), it was decided by the group that I would drive the 250kms of dirt road. It was the belief of the group, that my experience in utes, dirt roads and paddocks would be best suited to this type of road trip. I must say that I was secretly quite eager about tackling this challenge and wished that I had a bigger vehicle than the Rav 4!

We stopped off along the way at Standley Chasm and marvelled at the sharp edges, laughed at the life saver ring at Ormiston Gorge (as there was very little water at the time and it looked entirely useless) enjoyed lunch at Glen Helen Resort and finally admired the view over Gosse Bluff from the lookout. While at the lookout we noticed the sky was darkening and could see that there were some rain storms on the horizon. Undeterred we set off to hit the dirt road.

Cruising along the road and enjoying the landscape, wildlife (we saw brumbies!) and laughing at some of the outback road signs, we noticed the sky was beginning to look sinister and sure enough, soon after, the heavens opened. You may say that a bit of rain and dirt road should be nothing for a country girl who should have been fishtailing the car around the corners with glee…..but….this wasn’t pretty little droplets falling from sky, no, this was waves, sheets of water, buckets and oceans of water! With the windscreen wipers on full throttle and still being virtually blind, I navigated around corners and still managed to fishtail them even at 30kms per hour, as all that dirt had now become a sea of mud.

With a furrowed brow, I skippered the Girls on Tour through the desert squall and almost 5 hours after setting off from Alice Springs, saw a rainbow on the horizon. We chased the rainbow to find our pot of gold being sealed road and a sign saying there was only 10km until Kings Canyon Resort.

We eventually arrived at the resort with our red Rav 4 (which was once white) and headed straight to Sounds of Firelight where we were welcomed with a very well earned drink.

By the way – we made it eventually to Uluru and of course, it was more amazing than imagined…..

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
teedee
post Oct 15 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #2

Drifter

Member No.: 270096

QUOTE(johnny_mac @ Oct 12 2009, 03:40 AM) *

wow cool driver! how long did it take you to get to kings canyon?
did you guys also walked around the base? we all gave up because we were dehydrated and we all wanted to settle to yulara before sunset

It took a day, as stops were made to look at things.
the girls did not do a full base walk once they made it onto Uluru just short walks around the base, which is still awesome!!
yer, water is a big thing, always make sure you are carry lots of water with you.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Oct 20 2009, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I drove that dirt road in a Ford Falcon saloon car! Was a nightmare and I couldn't go above 50km/hr for the whole route.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.