Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Interesting Facts About Greece
greekcypriot
post Oct 11 2009, 09:24 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 273790

Below I enter some interesting facts about Greece for members who might want to visit it.Hope you find the article interesting.

The official name of Greece is the Hellenic Republic. The country is located in southeastern Europe and is one of the oldest civilizations in the world. Greece lies at the junction point of Africa, Asia and Europe. It was one of the first advanced civilizations in Europe. Greece is bordered by the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey and Albania to the east.

It is bordered by the Ionian Sea to the west and by the Aegean Sea to the east. Here are some other interesting facts about Greece. Greece has strains of the Byzantine Empire, the Ottoman rule and of Classical Greece in its current culture and tradition. It is considered to be the first democracy in the entire world. It is also considered to be where the western civilization was honed. The cultural importance of Greece to the world can never be measured, as it has been responsible for the Olympic Games, the Political Science, Drama and the Western literature. The long history of Greece can maybe compared only to another country with a long history - India.

The lands of Greece has gone through three eras, before the establishment of the modern Greek state took place. The first era as the Hellenistic Era, when Greece was under the rule of Alexander the Great. The Greek peninsula became a province of Rome in time, but Rome enthusiastically followed the Hellenistic culture. The last empire to rule Greece was the Ottoman Empire. The Modern Greek state rebelled and gained independence from the Ottoman Empire in 1830.

The total area of Greece is around fifty thousand square kilometers. It mainly consists of a mountainous mainland. Greece has the tenth largest coastline in the world. The coastline is bout fourteen thousand eight hundred and eighty kilometers long (14880 km), with its land boundary being one thousand one hundred sixty kilometers (1160 km). Greece is predominantly made up of mountains or hills. Around four fifths of Greece is consists of hills and mountains. It is therefore one of the most mountainous places in Europe. The highest mountain in the country is Mount Olympus, itself a mainstay in many myths and fables.

Greece has three main types of climates, namely the Mediterranean, Temperate and Alpine types. The most dominant of these types of climates in the mountainous regions of North Western Greece is the Alpine type of climate. The Temperate type of climate generally affects East and Central Macedonia and Thrace. Therefore, these areas have hot and dry summers and cold and damp winters.

The GDP of Greece is around two hundred and fifty billion dollars. Greece is a capitalist economy. The main economical factors are shipping, banking and finance, manufacturing, telecommunications and construction. The service industry is the fastest growing and commercial sector in Greece, at around seventy percent of the total economy of Greece. Construction and agriculture are the other major growth sectors in the Greek economy. Greece is the regional head quarters for many multinational concerns.

Shipping is another key element of the economic activity in Greece. Shipping has been prevalent in Greece since ancient times. It was once the most natural way for the peninsular Greece to connect with its neighbors and business associates. Shipping garners about five percent of the total GDP of Greece, with its employees being around one hundred thousand of the total employed force in Greece. The maritime fleet of Greece is the largest in the world today. It has about three thousand vessels, which accounts for more than fifteen percent of the total fleet capacity of the world. Greece also ranks first in dry bulk carriers and tankers. It ranks fourth in the number of containers and other ships.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
30 countries, with more than 4.500 photos with comments and tips sweat.gif

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
manzara
post Oct 12 2009, 12:33 PM
Post #2

Sightseer

From: Çeşme, Western Turkey. One of Turkey's best-kept secrets
Member No.: 262135

Hello again my Greek friend. You always have so much information about your country to share with us.

As you know, I am just across the Aegean in Turkey and, despite some news and views, we are always happy to hear from you and to learn more about your country and just as happy to welcome you here as we are to visit your land and islands.

Thank you for this latest useful information, our friendly neighbour!

--------------------
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Lao-tzy, Chinese Philosopher (604 - 531 BC)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
greekcypriot
post Oct 12 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 273790

Hi Manzara my dear friend flowers.png
Thanks for your good words. Now that I am going to Cyprus, I am planning to see my Turkish friends there and probably go to the north as well.
I want to bring back much information. I love my country. Actually Greece is my country now, but my birthplace is Cyprus and I have so many good memories from Cyprus, the Island of Aphrodite as they call it.

My new blog will be dedicated to Cyprus, so be sure to follow it.

Do post one of two of those lovely pictures you surprise us each time!!!! hyper.gif
They are clever most of the times!

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
(30 countries, 4.500 photos, comments and tips in 3 blogs)
sweat.gif

--------------------
My LATEST BLOGS: Marmari, Vasa, and CYPRUS, the Unique Destination for Business and Holidays!!!

The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
yedek
post Dec 9 2009, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Wanderer

Group: Members
Member No.: 565161

Athens is good not only for vacation. Our best convention was in Athens. Excellent business hotels with all meetings facilities, exlusive services, and historical side of Athens. Find on facebook the page of Athens convention bureau, become a fan and then u will have all and fresh informations without spending long time looking for them. It was helpfull for us when we were planning our convention there.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tanecnice
post May 13 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 284600

hey great info! thanks for it, im going to visit athens greece in september and i've been searching the net like crazy for real insider info! i found this page on facebook www.facebook.com/cityofathens aand they are full of useful and very interesting info. like where to shop, eat, drink, walk, hang out, what to see, what time its open to see! so helpful!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
littlekate
post May 14 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #6

Nomad

Member No.: 225327

Hi there, in worm and welcoming countries of hot sun, sweet wines and fruits, clear and numerous seas where culture and sciencies had been flourishing long before people changed animal skins for cloths in the wild north!
This was a foreword. I just wanted to greet popi, and also to invite Manzara to tell about Turkish bath in the Russian forum, thered "Russian banya vs. Finnish Sauna vs. Turkish bath". Somehow it resulted in a story about Russian banya, please do something with this.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 06:46 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.