Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Japanese Rail Pass - value for money?
travellingmango
post Apr 23 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 50252

I'm going to Tokyo in a few weeks for 11 days and was wondering what people thought of the JR Pass available to tourists?

I would be using the underground every day of my journey and would probably be going to Mt Fuji, Kyoto, etc as well at some point.

Has anyone used it before and would you recommend it, or would it be easier for me to just pay the fares up front?

Thanks,

travelling mango
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
battlemonkey
post Apr 24 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Voyager

Member No.: 40839

i used the JR Pass when I was in Japan. 14 days, traveling between Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara. It was well worth it. Keep in mind though that local trains and subways are privately owned, and the pass only works on JR train lines --which means it's of great use city to city, but within cities, you'll just be paying cash.

The easiest way to do this is to just tally up the cost of trips from one city to the next, and see if it comes out to be more or less than the cost of a pass. for me, it was a good value.

--------------------
Keith Allison
Teleport City...
Hitting you with the WHOLE loaf of kungfu!
www.teleport-city.com

Phantom Limb: We're not so different, you and I.
Brock Samson: Yeeeaah, I don't need another 'we're not so different' speech. I get those a lot.

"Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future." -- Criswell
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kacampau
post May 6 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #3

Nomad

Member No.: 17223

I wish had heard of the JR pass. I spent 2 weeks in Japan as a tourish and almost all of my money spent on the trains and the buses. It was so expensive!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingmango
post May 6 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 50252

I decided to get one - not only to save time but also it seems that if I want to go travelling about, I can do it for roughly the same/slightly cheaper with the card.

Thanks battlemonkey and kacampau speak_cool.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post May 6 2007, 01:54 PM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I had a 7 day pass and abused it royally smile.gif I went from Tokyo to Fukuoka in a day! Then spent the rest of the week making my way back to Tokyo via Hiroshima, Miyajima, Himeji, and Kyoto. Was a bargain for the travelling I managed to do.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 15 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 92543

When I go back to Japan in a few years time with a mate we're goinna get the 21 day pass which is about $600 I think from memory, But in those three weeks we're gonna travel all the way frokm hokkaido to the bottom ends ... I dunno if it's possible to get to Okinawa via JR, but I'd love that as well.

THe think to remember is that a shinkansen (bullet train) costs about $100 to go from Nagoya to Tokyo, so if you're using the shinkansen and going from town to town a lot ... it's totally worth it.
If you're going to Japan and sticking in Tokyo for the whole time, then no maybe it's not your cup of rice in that instance.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kitkatgo
post May 15 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Navigator

Member No.: 13816

QUOTE(battlemonkey @ Apr 24 2007, 09:56 AM) *

i used the JR Pass when I was in Japan. 14 days, traveling between Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara. It was well worth it. Keep in mind though that local trains and subways are privately owned, and the pass only works on JR train lines --which means it's of great use city to city, but within cities, you'll just be paying cash.

The easiest way to do this is to just tally up the cost of trips from one city to the next, and see if it comes out to be more or less than the cost of a pass. for me, it was a good value.

Yeah, I agree...just depends on how many cities you're going to and if it adds up or not.

Also, there are different types of JR passes. I know there is a "regular" pass and a "Green" pass. Regular, I believe, is like unreserved seats and can be crowded. Green seats are much quieter and you reserve your seats (can be done just before you get on). Green is more expensive of course.

We had green passes and went to several cities in Japan. It was great I thought. We got the passes on advice from the Japanese fellows my husband was meeting with...

--------------------
~Kit
California Local Expert

Visit my travel blogs:
http://www.travelpod.com/members/kitkatgo
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mataeka
post May 15 2008, 08:52 PM
Post #8

Drifter

Member No.: 92543

QUOTE(kitkatgo @ May 15 2008, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(battlemonkey @ Apr 24 2007, 09:56 AM) *

Yeah, I agree...just depends on how many cities you're going to and if it adds up or not.

Also, there are different types of JR passes. I know there is a "regular" pass and a "Green" pass. Regular, I believe, is like unreserved seats and can be crowded. Green seats are much quieter and you reserve your seats (can be done just before you get on). Green is more expensive of course.

We had green passes and went to several cities in Japan. It was great I thought. We got the passes on advice from the Japanese fellows my husband was meeting with...

Green passes are like the luxury or first class cars, you can still get a reserved seat on a normal JR Rail Pass

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en007.html

theres some more information on that site
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kniki123
post Sep 14 2009, 06:10 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 347721

Hi,thanks for posting. I'll be heading for tokyo next week. Could anyone here tell me how to apply or avail the JR Pass for tourists? Thanks!

Regards,
kniki123
Placement financier
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
segacs
post Feb 11 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #10

Voyager

Member No.: 5431

Agree the pass is highly worth it for most travelers, as long as you're:
-trying to cover quite a lot of distanace within a relatively short period of time
-planning to do a lot of inter-city travel
-planning to make use of your pass most of the days you have it

It may not be worth it for:
-longer-term travelers who want to spend a month or more in Japan and are traveling very slowly
-people who are only traveling locally (e.g. if you go for a week and spend all your time in Tokyo)

I had a 7-day pass when I went to Japan for 10 days in November '08 and it was a ridiculously good bargain.

--------------------
"It's not wrong; it's just different."
Visit segacs's travels.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mitsukishiroi
post Jun 26 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #11

Drifter

Member No.: 1082091

QUOTE(mataeka @ May 15 2008, 07:19 PM) *

When I go back to Japan in a few years time with a mate we're goinna get the 21 day pass which is about $600 I think from memory, But in those three weeks we're gonna travel all the way frokm hokkaido to the bottom ends ... I dunno if it's possible to get to Okinawa via JR, but I'd love that as well. .

You cannot get to Okinawa via JR. The best you can do is travel to Kagoshima and take the flight from there to Naha city!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 02:57 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.