Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> goin to guilin, transport advice
steve
post Jun 1 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Unregistered

hi,
i'm looking to get a train from guilin to shenzhen. im in yangshuo at the mo and all that seems to be on offer are sleeper buses direct to shenzhen. is it possible to go by train and if so is it more expensive or time consuming? thanks a mill for any help on this one,
steve
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Victor
post Oct 15 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #2

Unregistered

QUOTE(steve @ Jun 1 2005, 01:42 AM) *

hi,
i'm looking to get a train from guilin to shenzhen. im in yangshuo at the mo and all that seems to be on offer are sleeper buses direct to shenzhen. is it possible to go by train and if so is it more expensive or time consuming? thanks a mill for any help on this one,
steve

Yes, it is possible to go to Shenzhen by express train T40, it cost something like 231 yuan for hard sleeper. I think it is an overnight train starting from 8pm and arrive at 8:30 arriving Guangzhou, 11:47 arriving Shenzhen. It is clean, AC, hot water supply. Wish you good luck.
+Quote Post
meercatvinny
post Oct 17 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Group: Members
Member No.: 242
Nominate me as a Local Expert

It can be messy to organise the train to Shenzen if you're in Yangshou. The problem is that you can only book the tickets from Guilin, unless you use one of the expensive agents in Yangshou, even the CITS guys are overly expensive, and they also only get a set amount of tickets.

Another problem is that because the train leaves from Shanghai or Beijing its hard to know if there will be any free seats on board as the computer system doesn't know for some reason. You can risk turning up at the station in advance but you may not get a ticket.

Yet another problem is that train tickets can only be bought three days before the train is scheduled, making it a little messy if you decide to stay somewhere a little longer than you had anticipated. And they sell FAST!!

Having said that, don't be put off. Despite what I have mentioned above organising train tickets is not as hard as a lot of people make out - especially the guide books. Book the ticket yourself at the train station. If you don't have good Chinese (like me) there's nearly always someone with English there and in some cases an English desk (subtly sigposted). If there is no one with any English you can write down what you want in Chinese script using the langauge section of your guidebook. In fact I found this to be the easiest option all round, not least because the tellers are always very impressed by your efforts and are eager to help you. It takes a while but it'll save you lots of sign language, angry tellers and headaches.

The bus is very easy to organise, to Guangzhou anyway, and there are 3 or 4 each evening. Any travel agent in Yangshou can book it for you. However, if you do get the bus to Guangzhou be prepared for the worst nights sleep of your life.

Usually it would be infinitely faster to get a train anywhere in China, but in this situtation its a case of going back to go forward, meaning a longer journey than the bus. The train is more expensive than the bus, maybe around double the price of the bus, but so much more confortable. Plus you get to see more of the countryside from a train than from a cramped bus and at least you can walk around.

Anyway, since you have probably left Yangshou by now ( I noticed your post was placed in June!!) I just hope you had a good trip and made it to Shenzen. Hopefully this will be of use to someone else in a similar situ.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 11:12 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.