Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buying, Insuring and everything else inbetween with a car road trip.
post Oct 9 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #1


Group: Members
Posts: 8
Joined: 9-October 09
Member No.: 416731
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I will be traveling from West to East coast of USA in April for 2 months and looking to buy a car and travel across with my partner by ourselves. Just had a few questions and advice from people who know or have done this before

- How easy is it for a British/Danish driver to insure a car in LA California

- What companies would be best to insure a 23 year old and 21 year old driver?

- Can we use our home driving licence?

- How do we register a car once we buy one in LA?

- Anything else we need to know about buying/selling a car?

- Any recommendations for buying a backpacking style car in LA?

Thanks in advance i know there is alot of questions but maybe a few different people can answer them
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Oct 9 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Posts: 14509
Joined: 5-November 07
From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member No.: 103914

You have to get an international driver's licence to drive a car in the USA.

What's a "backpacking style" car? Just look on craigslist for a car.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
post Oct 9 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #3


Group: Local Expert
Posts: 2002
Joined: 4-June 06
Member No.: 2195

I actually purchased a used car in Miami back in 1970 for US$ 200.00, and sold it three months later in Los Angeles for US$ 100.00. But times were different then.

Looks like you will actually need an address somewhere in California in order to get insurance. It will be expensive with an overseas license as you will be unable to show a US driving record. Literally the insurance company needs a contact in case of accident and somewhere to send the monthly bill. If you have no address, you may be considered as a vagrant.

To be honest I consider this is not a recommended approach. It is risky to buy a decent reliable car at a cheap price, difficult to find insurance at a reasonable rate, and difficult to sell the car before you leave the country. Driving across this huge country of ours will require hundreds of hours of driving. Some of the driving will be through monotonous country with nothing interesting to see. It is much more convenient, and probably much cheaper to rent a car for a few weeks in one place, buy an inexpensive airplane, bus or train ticket, to another interesting part of the US, then rent another car for a few weeks.

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic


- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 02:31 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in USA

Albuquerque Hotels
Anaheim Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Boston Hotels
Branson Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Columbus Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Fort Lauderdale Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Jacksonville Hotels
Kansas City Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Memphis Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Philadelphia Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Portland Hotels
Saint Louis Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Scottsdale Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Tucson Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.