Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Zealand, When to go
trina
post Apr 10 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47521
Nominate me as a Local Expert

K i'm taking a bit of time out for myself in June. My destination i hope is New Zealand however since its Winter i'm not too sure to go or not.

Has anyone travelled in New Zealand at this time of year, do you recommend it?

What would the temperatures be like?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seal
post Apr 10 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 40939

Hi.

I am actually from New Zealand, and i would most recommend that you travel here.

Right now that summer is coming to a close, the temperates will start to come down a buit, but the temperatures are still in their 20s right now, with sun and showers in various parts of New Zealand.

For the weather in winter, it can be anything fro rain and wind in Auckland, right to snow in the Central Plato in the North Island and also in the middle and lower South Island.

If there is more information that you would like just drop us line at any time, either ehre or even by e-mail at callum.hatton@gmail.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Apr 10 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Being in the Southern Hemisphere, you will be going in the winter if you chose June. That said Auckland has fairly mild temps year round. And if you are interested in skiing, you will be just in time for the July-Sept season on the South Island.

Just take a sweater and rain gear and you should be fine.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 10 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

I've travelled New Zealand over two winters: once around the South Island, and the other solely in Queenstown - by far the coldest part.

Absolutely you should go, but it depends 'where' you go as to what you'll encounter. If you're into the walks and the backcountry, it's probably not the best time to visit as much of it will be closed due to avalanche risk. If you into wintersports you're coming at just the right time: June, July and August will be heaving. But for general sightseeing, landscapes and stunning natural beauty, winter is superb.

The north island will definitely be warmer, while the south island will give you scenery perfectly suited to the winter (glacial lakes, snow capped peaks and raging rivers.) If warmer is what you want, the north island is probably your best bet (the Tongariro National Park will be awesome at this time of year.)

But it's all amazing, you have to go..

What sort of things are you interested in? What sort of timescales do you have to play with?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 12:51 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in New Zealand

Akaroa Hotels
Arrowtown Hotels
Auckland Hotels
Blenheim Hotels
Christchurch Hotels
Coromandel Hotels
Dunedin Hotels
Fox Glacier Hotels
Franz Josef Hotels
Gisborne Hotels
Greymouth Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Hanmer Springs Hotels
Hastings Hotels
Hokitika Hotels
Invercargill Hotels
Kaikoura Hotels
Kerikeri Hotels
Lake Tekapo Hotels
Mangere Hotels
Napier Hotels
Nelson Hotels
New Plymouth Hotels
Oamaru Hotels
Paihia Hotels
Palmerston North Hotels
Picton Hotels
Queenstown Hotels
Rotorua Hotels
Russell Hotels
Taupo Hotels
Tauranga Hotels
Te Anau Hotels
Timaru Hotels
Waiheke Island Hotels
Wanaka Hotels
Wanganui Hotels
Wellington Hotels
Whangarei Hotels
Whitianga Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.