Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> West Coast Trail
findingnine
post Mar 28 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 14300

Time off this summer is sure to occur. I have been hearing enough about the West Coast Trail to peak my interest. Anyone know about this. What kind of prep is needed. It is unadvisable to go alone?

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fourloves
post Mar 29 2007, 05:30 AM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2939
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(findingnine @ Mar 28 2007, 09:41 PM) *

Time off this summer is sure to occur. I have been hearing enough about the West Coast Trail to peak my interest. Anyone know about this. What kind of prep is needed. It is unadvisable to go alone?

Depends on your experience. I went with a resonably experienced cousin of mine. I hike quite a bit too, but was slightly out of shape for the trip. We kept each other company, and did the trip in three days. usually its takes six or seven according to parks canada, but we were there in the dry season and using ultralight packs. The cost is somewhat of a point - up to $120 just for using the trail. Plus, booking is like a concert - opens up at various times, and sells out fast. I reccommend september shoulder season, as it may be more dry. Also, much of the trail was washed out by a hurricane a short while ago. Not sure if it's back up to snuff, or if it will even be open this summer.

It is a beautiful trek, one of the best I have ever gone on. Be sure to buy a dungeness crab at the nitnat narrows ferry crossing! (oh my goodness!) A good book to prepare yourself is "blisters and bliss". Grab it at MEC, or check out the other guide books.

As for a partner - this depends on your personal hiking philosophy. I'm more of a solitary hiker, but have been chastised by people who would NEVER go alone. It's totally up to you, but I reccommend it if you are not experienced. If you aren't perpared for the trip, definitely get in shape, and walk around with a loaded pack. You could do this in ft. mac, or on the wauskahegan in edmonton. Are you a regular hiker? If not, the MEC dudes will surely set you up, just be skeptical about the gear you really need. Some people's experience is that this is a cakewalk, other say that it is a very challenging hike. One thing is sure, we met sevral injured people on the trail (and tons of germans), so tread lightly. Don't try to whack the trail like we did, though, taaake your time, and don't let the egotistic german hikers convince you that you need to prove a point.

I must stress, this was a ridiculously beautiful and breathtaking hike. Then again, little rain, little challenge, if you have bad weather, your perception of it might be terrible.

If you go in september, maybe we could meet up at the trailhead - I would love to do the trek again!

Good luck, supernatural BC website should give you the basic info logistically. Darrenbarefoot.com is a vancouver blogger who hikes this alot, I think he has some good content regarding WCT as well.

Oh yeah. Tide tables.

Cheers

--------------------
MacK the Knife

"When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep" - Gibran
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Mar 29 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Not experienced. Day hikes only so far. Love hiking and being outdoors, camping and such. I'm sure there are advantages to having a partner, but I'm not sure I know anyone who would do it. Wouldn't want a detail like that to stop me. I appreciate the advise, and will definitely check out the books. Most likely to have time off in July (though that could change any time). It that a bad time? Where do I look into booking?

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Mar 29 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #4

Commuter

Member No.: 519

I know a lot of high schools organize trips, so you can imagine that it's probably not that hard...although they did do training for it, probably just to be sure that people were prepared mentally for walking for so long!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Mar 29 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

It is a 'trail' right? I wouldn't want to get lost.

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fourloves
post Mar 30 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #6

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2939

Definitely a well defined trail. Hard to get lost if you follow the map, although many first timers get lost for some reason... Not sure why. July is good, but learn to say guten-tag, as you will be sharing with TONS of other hikers. Not a trail for pure solitude.

If you start practicing carrying your pack around, you should be ready for it. I'd say find someone experienced who wants to go with you... I might know some people if you are interested.

Cheers

--------------------
MacK the Knife

"When love beckons to you, follow him, though his ways are hard and steep" - Gibran
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Mar 30 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Schedules can change at any moment here, but for the time being, I am expecting a free window in July. I'll check out a book and ask around. I may take you up on that.

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mountainmom
post Jul 23 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 73141

QUOTE(fourloves @ Mar 29 2007, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(findingnine @ Mar 28 2007, 09:41 PM) *

Depends on your experience. I went with a resonably experienced cousin of mine. I hike quite a bit too, but was slightly out of shape for the trip. We kept each other company, and did the trip in three days. usually its takes six or seven according to parks canada, but we were there in the dry season and using ultralight packs. The cost is somewhat of a point - up to $120 just for using the trail. Plus, booking is like a concert - opens up at various times, and sells out fast. I reccommend september shoulder season, as it may be more dry. Also, much of the trail was washed out by a hurricane a short while ago. Not sure if it's back up to snuff, or if it will even be open this summer.

It is a beautiful trek, one of the best I have ever gone on. Be sure to buy a dungeness crab at the nitnat narrows ferry crossing! (oh my goodness!) A good book to prepare yourself is "blisters and bliss". Grab it at MEC, or check out the other guide books.

As for a partner - this depends on your personal hiking philosophy. I'm more of a solitary hiker, but have been chastised by people who would NEVER go alone. It's totally up to you, but I reccommend it if you are not experienced. If you aren't perpared for the trip, definitely get in shape, and walk around with a loaded pack. You could do this in ft. mac, or on the wauskahegan in edmonton. Are you a regular hiker? If not, the MEC dudes will surely set you up, just be skeptical about the gear you really need. Some people's experience is that this is a cakewalk, other say that it is a very challenging hike. One thing is sure, we met sevral injured people on the trail (and tons of germans), so tread lightly. Don't try to whack the trail like we did, though, taaake your time, and don't let the egotistic german hikers convince you that you need to prove a point.

I must stress, this was a ridiculously beautiful and breathtaking hike. Then again, little rain, little challenge, if you have bad weather, your perception of it might be terrible.

If you go in september, maybe we could meet up at the trailhead - I would love to do the trek again!

Good luck, supernatural BC website should give you the basic info logistically. Darrenbarefoot.com is a vancouver blogger who hikes this alot, I think he has some good content regarding WCT as well.

Oh yeah. Tide tables.

Cheers

I was just looking for a forum about the trail to see what the weather has been like this week I heard tons of rain record breaking we did the trail the first week of July this year and no one on the trail could believe the mud and the damage from the winter storms as for doing it in 3 days I"m afraid I can't be done at least not this time of year and with all the damage and mud we did it in 6 and would have likes another ot really sit back and relax and smell the roses this is not for the novice hikers some of the tree crossing are quite dangerous and should not be done by the faint of heart they say 1 hr per km. for the first part of the trail Port renfew trail head and it is true I have done the trail twice and woould do it again but would not give the novice hiker a nod for this trail it is difficult and can be very dangerous it just as physical and it is mental be prepared for both
a better hike for the intermediate hiker would be the Skyline in Jasper national park or the berg lake trail in Mount robson national park .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Jul 23 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

OH this trail is waiting for me. Determination is not lacking. Sadly, time off in the form expected is. Still employed (Iknow, it makes no sense!) So restricting myself to last minute planning. No biggie, easy to do festivals on the fly. The more rigorous adventures will have to wait for a summer that offers more flexibility to plan. I definitely feel I'd have to break my solo pattern and include another in this outing. Why must summer be so short?

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:13 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.