Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Australia overland.., East to west on a motorbike?
ScottWoz
post Mar 26 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Hi guys,

I wanted to put a few feelers out to see if I could generate a bit of info and thoughts. I'm currently in Melbourne and considering taking a motorbike across the Nullarbor Plains over to Perth, either from Melbourne or Sydney.

Has anyone ever done this? How was it? Any don't do's, must do's or other general advice would be most welcome. Depending on the practicality and what comes of the plans I'd be keen to head out in the next few weeks. If so, anyone interested in coming along?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Mar 27 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #2

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Sounds like quite the adventure Scott. You should get one of those sideseat thingys. How fun would it be to ride around in that!

In any case, the sunsets are going to be spectacular...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
siscri
post Mar 27 2007, 03:08 AM
Post #3

Commuter

Member No.: 5389

Do it. I met a few people who cycled it so I'm sure you can motorcycle it. Just bring plenty of water and sunscreen.
Also, once you cross the Nullabor go in to the tourist office...they print you out a free certificate with your name on saying that you made it. Awesome.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 27 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Sounds like quite the adventure Scott. You should get one of those sideseat thingys. How fun would it be to ride around in that!

Oh! I've always wanted to ride overland in one of those!!

Sounds like a fun trip.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Mar 27 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Never knew about the certificate thingy, that's excellent. Funny how you Canucks get drawn in to the sidecar aspect. The sight of someone sitting in a sidecar at speed is one that always amuses me. Thank you both for the mental picture.

The more I think about this the more I'm tempted to start in Sydney and take the whole coastal route through Melbourne and Adelaide and straight across the Nullarbor. In fact, beyond Perth, why not keep chugging?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Mar 27 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

Hi Scott, that is a great ride you are going to do. From Adelaide on to Esperance it is the great nothing, only settlements rather than towns, and they are few and far apart. Shame you are going so soon, I don't think there will be many whales around.

From taking that route the other way, in just three days (cause I had to get to Melb and I couldn't get rid of my car in Perth), here are my thoughts:
- don't ever do it in three days
- the road is inland but follows the southern ocean, with frequent turnoffs... and everytime you want to turn and go have a look!
- there are cliffs and sand dunes and you are alone there and it is great
- there are also loads of retired aussies going around Oz in a campervan.. and they are cool too
- you can camp in the dunes, alone and remote, by the ocean and under the stars...
- there are a lot of dead rabbits in the Nullarbor. For the next 1000 km or so towards the west, there are a lot of dead kangaroos, I felt very sick cause there is plenty of flesh and blood every 3 minute... sorry, but I think it's better to warn
- bloody kangaroos CAN be jumping on the road during the day, and they are of the BIG kind. I have been told that there exists some kind of metal tubes, that you put on your vehicle, and that generate a sound that kangaroos can hear from miles, so they can run away across the road before you are there
- If you go camping off the road, it is really, really remote. 5 liters is not "A lot of water", but you know that already. If you want to be on the safe side, I guess you can rent a sat phone, it is supposed to be cheap as long as you don't use it. Seriously, be cautious, as away from the road, there is absolutely nothing, and noody comes by
- The quarantine check between WA and SA is not at the border, but very far away from it... check it before forcing yourself to eat all your fresh food the night before the border
- Other than that... it is not scary, it is not exceptional... it is just empty and monotonous for thousands of miles... I loved it!
- Have you thought about doing it on camelback?

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Mar 28 2007, 03:11 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

Might do it on the way back.. yes.gif

Peace, that's great info mate, nice one. Luckily I've got time on my hands so a three day race isn't necessary. I'm happy to take ten days or two weeks, taking in as much as I can and making the most of the remoteness. It's coming together nicely and already it's looking like I may extend the trip and do a lot more than I first thought.

I've been sniffing out info from a few sources and just this morning I received a post which included this sentence:

'Overnighting at remote roadhouses (most have alcohol available) you'll likely meet some interesting characters. A few coldies, then roll out the swag & gaze up at the outrageously brilliant night sky.'

Now how can anyone not want to throw a few clothes into a bag and fire up the bike?

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Mar 28 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #8

Pathfinder

Yep, roadhouses are great, and they usually have a motel + camping, there are some real "characters" to be met

On the south coast though, there aren't that many roadhouses!

And yeah, I forgot, if you have a vehicle to carry it, a swag is the way to go!

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Mar 28 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #9

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Sounds fun biggrin.gif When you get to Perth go the whole hog and head around the coast to Broome and then on to Darwin!

Thought I'd warn you that it is bloody freezing in the outback on a clear night!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 28 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Thought I'd warn you that it is bloody freezing in the outback on a clear night!!

It's always so neat to me how a place can be so hot sometimes, and then get so cold. Peru was like that in alot of places. Scott, hope you have some warm clothes!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Mar 28 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #11

Pathfinder

I did just that the other way round, way too fast, but it was still great, I definitely recommend it!
Way too fast cause I had planned to visit Perth and suroundings, but instead took a ticket to Darwin caus it wasn't so far... error!
Then I realized the tours to the NP were 4 times too expensive, so I bought a car, and then... I ended up driving it 10.000 km
Would definitely do it again in 4 months instead of 4 weeks
Enjoy, Scott!

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Mar 28 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #12

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

lol I spent 6 weeks in Darwin!! During that time I saw hordes of tourists coming-and-going daily for the stupidly expensive tours to Kakadu and Litchfield. I stayed in town sipping a beer around the pool!!

I never even bothered to go on the tours biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Mar 28 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

I agree, the swag's definitely the way to go, I'll just strap it to the bike. I think I'll end up mixing it up, depending on what 'characters' I come across. And roos.. yes.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Caro!
post Mar 28 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #14

World Traveler

Member No.: 550

Do it, just like Motorcycles Diaries, from the Che Guevara!!!

Caro!

--------------------
Check out my videos and pics!!

The pictures I will proudly show to my offspring

Whatever Lola wants...Lola gets!!!

Happiness is available to anybody, so please help yourself!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Mar 28 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

Totally. A great story it was too. Just gotta get my hands on a bike now..

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 30 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #16

Navigator

Member No.: 98

That does sound good. I am jealous.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 30 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #17

Navigator

Member No.: 98

There is a good book called "Country: a continent, a scientist & a kangaroo" by Tim Flannery which I reckon is good and may be a good companion on your trip.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Apr 3 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

Cheers Paul, I'll keep a look out.

Thanks again for all the info and support guys, it's much appreciated.

This has been a big decision and after a lot of thought and consideration I've decided it's a go-er. I've also decided it's going to be far more than just a mind-numbing chug across the desert. It's looking like it might be a round trip of the whole continent, starting with a lengthy blast across the Nullarbor and down to to the far south west, before coming up to Perth. From there I'll be heading right round and eventually making it back (hopefully in one piece) to where it all started - here in Melbourne. The trip itself will take some months so I'll be working my way around, hopefully meeting plenty of 'characters' along the way.

I've found the bike too. It's a monster. I pick her up tomorrow (on my birthday of all days..) drinks.gif

So now I throw it open: anyone wanna tag along, make it a convoy, or even join up for part of the trip? If so drop us a line. I think this could be one of those unforgettable journeys.. yes.gif

--------------------
Woz..

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st August 2014 - 02:23 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.