Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> need help!, travelling in january
tildesley1
post Sep 29 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 389641

i'm looking to travel to machu picchu in january with my girlfriend but have no idea where to start with preparations! therefore looking for some friendly advice on how to kick start this holiday? are tours compulsory now, or can you still travel on your own? :S i have no clue so please help!

thanks,
nick
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 29 2009, 10:11 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

You can't hike in Machu Picchu without an officially sanctioned guide, but you can get there on your own, without a tour:

Read this for all the basics: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294318-....Departing.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chemoejito
post Oct 2 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 248216

Do Plenty of research around the Cuzco area, plenty of package are offered from there, you have to hire a guide to walk the inca trail or take a train from Cuzco to Machu Picchu via Peru Rail.. Book well in advance because the train fills quickly.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mariluna
post Oct 3 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 115303

Hi Nick, sorry I tried to respond to your email and I duplicated it.
My advice when you go to Peru is don't just go wandering by yourself in Cuzco o Macchu Picchu without a guide tour because is dangerous, When you get to Lima Airport take a taxi FROM INSIDE the airport, that is before you come out there is a lady in a counter inside that arranges a SECURE Taxi for you , because if you take a taxi outside in the street they can take you some where else and not to your destiny and take everything from you , your credit cards, money, camera, don't trust those taxis outside, lots of them are robers, they prey on tourist be careful and when you hail a taxi in the city be so careful please, and hide your video camera and always be so alert.
And when in Cuzco go to a tour agency for the day in Macchu Picchu , they will take care of you and you will be fine, they have tour agencies from many prices.
God Luck and many blessings!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Oct 5 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi Nick,

That's great that you're off to Peru & Macchu Picchu! You're going to LOVE it!
Firstly, if you tell us how long you have, that might help in suggestions we give...

If you want to do a trek to MP, you do have to do a tour as other people have suggested. I didn't, and instead, went on my own by public bus (colectivo) and by train, and then by bus up to MP itself. I didn't do a tour guide and I have no regrets, as I was able to explore it at my own pace, and when I really wanted to, could 'listen in' on the guided tours. Also, when you get up there, there's another mountain (Waynu Picchu) that you can climb, but the number is limited per day, so you have to go early - I'm not sure if you could if you were going via a tour? The view from the top oversees the whole of MP and it's AMAZING!

Regarding personal safety, I wouldn't get too alarmed by the last post - I do agree that you need to take precautions wherever you travel, but for me, personally, I never had anything happen to me. I did hear of bags being stolen while people were asleep on buses, but it didn't happen to me, and my view is that you can be 'unlucky' anywhere, but as long as you are always alert then that's all you can do - wherever you are in the world - even in your hometown!

I can give you some more tips if you let us know how long you have / what your interests are. As well as MP & Cuzco, Peru has a lot to offer - I loved it!!! So jealous!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
johnhnnt
post Dec 2 2009, 09:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 553161

Tripti Travel (www.tripti.me) specializes in planning trips to Peru for independent young professionals that are looking for an affordable package.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 12:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chiquian Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
San Ramon Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.