Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> buying hiking equipment in Patagonia
peacefrog
post Feb 21 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Pathfinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 581

I have slowly come to accept that my hiking shoes won't go around the world with me, first because they are starting to fall apart, and second because the soles are almost totally flat, and that is dangerous.

My question is, what would be a good place to get new ones in Patagonia, with enough choice and reasonable prices?
I am now away from Santiago an Buenos Aires, How is it in Bariloche and Ushuaia?
I was told there was a zona franca between Chile and Argentina, anyone been there?

Thanks in advance

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andrea
post Feb 27 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

You would definitely be able to get gear in El Calafate or Ushuaia. I would say Barioche as well though I have not been there. I wouldn't wait until Puerto Natales (entrance to Torres Del Peine) as it will be a lot more expensive.

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Feb 28 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Ok, thanks Andrea.

Zento also told me about Punta Arenas, thre seems to be a large selection there, as well as a zona franca / duty free. I think I'll check it out first, in a few days.

Bloody freezing down here, nothing like summer!

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Mar 14 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Pathfinder

In case that can help someone, here are the answers:

In Ushuaia and in Punta Arenas there is a very decent selection of equipment, at european prices. Nothing like a specialized store in a major city, but enough choice and availability for camping and hiking.

The zona franca (duty free zone) in Punta Arenas is a ripoff: they have less choice than in town, but at the same prices... which means that they just put into their pocket the amount of IVA (taxes). That is true for outdoors equipment. Things that locals buy (ie electronics, food, clothes) are cheaper.

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
arcticqueen
post Mar 25 2007, 02:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 45120

Peacefrog thanks for that info. I will be heading to Ushuaia early in 08 prior to my adventure of a lifetime - a trip to Antarctica! I have just learned that I am required to provide my own rubber boots and outer layers of clothing. The coats and pants won't be a problem, but wondered if there was anywhere you noticed that I could hire or buy the boots required without having the take them half way round the world?? Any help would be appreciated.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Mar 27 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

In case you haven't booked your ticket yet, local (=in ushuaia) purchase of an 11 day antarctic trip (they call it "last minute") costs between 3500 and 4000 usd depending o the boat/company, that is half of the price advertised on the tour operators websites. I had booked one, it was cancelled for technical reasons, and as it was the end of the season I could not get another seat... saved me $$$, but I would have liked to go.

Now to answer your question: the tourist agency where I had booked my ticket, in Ushuaia, was providing the boots and coat (which indeed are not provided onboard). Google a few tourist agencies and ask them if they can rent you the equipment. Otherwise I'll try to find the name of the one I went to.

offtopic.gif I must be damned with boats, another 3 day boat journey I had booked up the chilean coast has been cancelled for technical reasons...

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 01:24 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.