Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> any1 going to canada in dec09, any info on what i should do when i get there
sous07
post Sep 25 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 375171
Nominate me as a Local Expert

hey im just wondering is any1 going to canada in december 09 as im heading over the 27th of dec was supposed to meet up with a friend but he has to come home to get operated on.
but anyway my name is michael im 23 and from ireland i love to travel been around places like uk holland (amsterdam) 6 times all in all just for the sight seeing of course lolol,spain malta,nd spent 3 months in canada in 07,but never got the full experience and couldnt work as i only went on my passport.
im a bit of a party animal love to go clubbing big into house trance music ect,
toronto has some great clubs,but also love the outdoors and sight seeing and want to try skiing and all canada has to offer.
so even if ur not going to canada or hjave been there before or just live der tell me this ???
what is the best cheapest way to get around canada i no its huge nd some of these bus,train tickets are crazy prices any ideas people ?
and any good cheap hostels in toronto,vancover bc,or where should i go?
any ifo would be great ive heard about this couchsurfing thing dont no if id be into that but might if the right person offered ye never no and never say never lol
so come on people hit me irish english european americian who ever is planind a trip we could share hostels as it would be cheaper on every1 !
chow hope to hear from you

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 25 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey Sous! Welcome to the TravelPod forums.

You will have an AWESOME time in Canada. Have you picked the cities you want to visit?

I'd say peruse some of the Canada forums to help you decide.

My favourite cities are Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax and Ottawa, in that order.

I live in Ottawa, so if you're making your way here, definitely come and surf my couch, bubba!

As for getting around, the cheapest (aside from hitching) is rideshare, you can use craigslist or kijiji to find really cheap rideshare as long as your schedule is flexible and you don't mind being friendly and entertaining during the long drives in the country.

After that, check out the Greyhound passes, pay one price and travel for 3 months or whatever the deal is that suits you best.

Next cheapest is Via Rail, I think they sell passes too, but I could be wrong.

Then, of course you can fly. There are only two airlines that service Canada, WestJet and Air Canada. There are a bunch of smaller ones that go into the smaller airports and way up north, but aside from that, these are the only two major airlines, so price comparisons are easy if you plan on going that way. (I wouldn't advise it, you'll miss all the beautiful scenery!)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sous07
post Sep 25 2009, 11:14 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 375171
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 25 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Hey Sous! Welcome to the TravelPod forums.

You will have an AWESOME time in Canada. Have you picked the cities you want to visit?

I'd say peruse some of the Canada forums to help you decide.

My favourite cities are Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax and Ottawa, in that order.

I live in Ottawa, so if you're making your way here, definitely come and surf my couch, bubba!

As for getting around, the cheapest (aside from hitching) is rideshare, you can use craigslist or kijiji to find really cheap rideshare as long as your schedule is flexible and you don't mind being friendly and entertaining during the long drives in the country.

After that, check out the Greyhound passes, pay one price and travel for 3 months or whatever the deal is that suits you best.

Next cheapest is Via Rail, I think they sell passes too, but I could be wrong.

Then, of course you can fly. There are only two airlines that service Canada, WestJet and Air Canada. There are a bunch of smaller ones that go into the smaller airports and way up north, but aside from that, these are the only two major airlines, so price comparisons are easy if you plan on going that way. (I wouldn't advise it, you'll miss all the beautiful scenery!)

wow thank you never knew nothing about that was looking on kijiji and alot of people offering !!can you tell me how does it take from toronto to vancouver (by car) asi really wanna see vancouver and really want to see the rockies ?
i was looking at your profile and my god youve been around and couldnt help notice you been uk and all over europe but never to ireland why it is beautiful and if you ever wanna come im sure i could find you a room to say or a couch lol,i have to go but will defo be bk on to talk soon thanks for the info !
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 25 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Oh man, driving from Vancouver to Toronto will take at least 5 days! Sometimes you can find rideshares, but I think they are pretty rare.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 02:14 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.