Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Road trips & Scenic Drives
wakingdream
post Apr 10 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #21

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Noticing most here are in USA.

Dude, it's 'cuz this thread is in 'North America'.... yes.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Apr 10 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #22

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

unsure.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Apr 10 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #23

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 14300

Don't worry, I understand. I find as many topics from the front page as by deliberate browsing.

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
exploreamerica
post Apr 11 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #24

Planet Pioneer

Group: Members
Member No.: 34506
Nominate me as a Local Expert

QUOTE(rbisset @ Apr 10 2007, 03:46 PM) *

Guess I'm lucky as I've driven the Great Ocean Road and part of the old Route 66 between Vegas and the Grand Canyon. I've also been through Yunnan, China and walked Tiger Leaping Gorge biggrin.gif Any more suggestions?

I have a North American suggestion.

In Wyooming between Devils Tower and Yellowstone National Park is a spectacular drive through Bighorn National Forest. If you ever have the chance this is one of the most beautiful drives you will ever make. There was a steep 3,600 foot drop off over a 13 mile stretch of the drive, and the scenary was filled with streams, mountains and wildlife along the way.

--------------------
Stuart

Visit my brand new summer trip to China, Malaysia, India and Egypt

Visit all of my Travelogues

A collection of all my worldwide travels over the course of my lifetime

My latest of three separate solo U.S. road trips

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth. By mark twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
battlemonkey
post Apr 11 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #25

Voyager

Member No.: 40839

There's a drive that connects Badlands Nat'l Park and Wall, SD, home of Wall Drug. It's pretty breathtaking.

As for driving Route 66 -- prepare to be disappointed and impressed at the same time. I've done it twice now. For starters, connecting the disparate remaining pieces is hard (Tom Snyder's driving guide proved essential both times), as there is often no clearly marked designation, and Route 66 goes by hundreds of other numbers and names now. And a lot of it is no different than driving any road -- lots of strip malls. But these stretches of the mundane are worth enduring when you hit the cool stuff. Flea markets in Oklahoma that look like actual flea markets instead of discount junk aisles at a drug store (I got an Edison phonograph, twenty exotica records, a super 8 camera, a couple old 35mm cameras, and a stack of old spy novels for dirt cheap), old car dealerships, cool old motels, and long stretches of completely deserted road and ghost towns -- you can follow an old stretch of 66 crossing from Texas into New Mexico, and the drive goes through a deserted town and is, by and large, dirt and gravel. And the transformation as you go from Chicago to the southwest is wonderful. You just have to remember that part of learning is disillusionment, and there is as much about driving 66 today that will disillusion you as will inspire you. In the end, it's well worth doing, especially if you take your time.

--------------------
Keith Allison
Teleport City...
Hitting you with the WHOLE loaf of kungfu!
www.teleport-city.com

Phantom Limb: We're not so different, you and I.
Brock Samson: Yeeeaah, I don't need another 'we're not so different' speech. I get those a lot.

"Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future." -- Criswell
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 11 2007, 02:16 PM
Post #26

Rolling Stone

enduring when you hit the cool stuff. Flea markets in Oklahoma that look like actual flea markets instead of discount junk aisles at a drug store (I got an Edison phonograph, twenty exotica records, a super 8 camera, a couple old 35mm cameras, and a stack of old spy novels for dirt cheap),

Sounds like the mundane is worth enduring for FLEA MARKETS!! I'm a flea market junkie..... yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Apr 11 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #27

Commuter

Member No.: 519

I think the most breath-taking road for me was the Furka pass in Switzerland....

But in North America, my favourite drive has to be in the rocky mountains!

My least favourite drive? From my home town of Kingston to Ottawa......only an hour and a half, but it's interminable, and oh so boring....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
battlemonkey
post Apr 11 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #28

Voyager

Member No.: 40839

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Apr 11 2007, 03:16 PM) *

Sounds like the mundane is worth enduring for FLEA MARKETS!! I'm a flea market junkie..... yes.gif

Me too, and I'm finding they are nearly extinct, at least around here. I mean, there are things called flea markets, but since everyone is selling their stuff on ebay and craigslist now, most flea markets have become nothing but outlet malls for plastic crap and tube socks. Like I said, mostly the stuff you can get in the novelty aisle of a drug store, or from a street vendor in NYC Chinatown. There used to be a cool flea market up in the Poconos, but last time I went, it had been transformed.

Still, if you are around at the right time -- the Kentucky State Flea Market at the Fair Grounds in Louisville remains one of the most mind-blowing flea markets I've ever been to (it can take a whole weekend to get through). I've been going to it since i was a little kid looking for baseball cards, and now as an adult looking for weird old cameras and records, it's still a gold mine.

But I got good stuff along Route 66. i wish I'd jotted down the names, because "this one in Missouri, and another in Oklahoma somewhere" probably isn't a big help.

There's a backroad drive between Albany, NY and Portland, Maine, that offers up some pretty worthwhile flea markets as well. And there's that annual thing that stretches from like Kentucky to the gulf shore of Alabama, but I've never been to it.

--------------------
Keith Allison
Teleport City...
Hitting you with the WHOLE loaf of kungfu!
www.teleport-city.com

Phantom Limb: We're not so different, you and I.
Brock Samson: Yeeeaah, I don't need another 'we're not so different' speech. I get those a lot.

"Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future." -- Criswell
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 12 2007, 07:24 AM
Post #29

Rolling Stone

Me too, and I'm finding they are nearly extinct, at least around here. I mean, there are things called flea markets, but since everyone is selling their stuff on ebay and craigslist now, most flea markets have become nothing but outlet malls for plastic crap and tube socks

There's a few around here, but the only really good one is the w/e antique market. There's loads of really cool, old furntiure, but the best stuff is all the odds & ends.

I've been going to it since i was a little kid looking for baseball cards, and now as an adult looking for weird old cameras and records, it's still a gold mine.

We're like two peas in a pod! I just found an old (working) Brownie with side flash on my first trip out for the year! Road trips & flea markets go sooo nicely together! I'm more tactile. Forget about EBay, I want to rummage!!

I've probably mentioned it, but any drive up into Northern Ontario is well worth it. yes.gif

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 05:55 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.