Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best Road trips & Scenic Drives
wakingdream
post Jan 29 2007, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

The best road trips I've been on (so far) have been the Trans Canada from Toronto to Vancouver, and the Pacific Coast Highway in Cali all the way down to Tijuana, which were both amazingly memorable.

Some of the best N.A. routes are said to be;

1. Icefields Parkway from Jasper to Lake Louise, Canada

2. California North Coast,

3. Crater Lake National Park, Oregon

4. Stowe to Smuggler's Notch, Vermont

Long or short, a road trip is always a great way to relax, unwind and stop wherever, whenever! Have you been on any of these routes? Like to go? Or do you know of another fabulous road trippin' routes to suggest?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jan 29 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #2

Commuter

Group: Members
Member No.: 519

I really like road-trippin around the east coast of Canada. PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick -I seem to end up there every couple of years!

I haven't made it out to Newfoundland yet though...hopefully soon!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
His Royal Monkeyness
post Jan 29 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Member No.: 580

Oh, the Icefields Parkway is a great one. I did that a few years ago. Great scenery along the way. I'm sure Carmella can vouch for it as well.

The N. California Coast is pretty. From Grants Pass, Oregon, take Hwy 101 south through the Redwoods and along the coast all the way to San Francisco and Monterey. Some nice rocks to see. All of the Oregon Coast is pretty as well as Olympic Nat'l Park in Washington. Olympic probably has the best coastal scenery on the U.S. west coast.

Crater Lake itself is beautiful. I don't recall the drive there being too exciting though.

The drive from Miami to Key West is one of my favorites. Beautiful, blue water on all sides.

The Vancouver to Whistler drive is pretty.

All around the Canyonlands (Arizona, Utah) is pretty. Desert scenery with the cool rock formations.

I'd like to do a roadtrip in New England in the Fall seeing the colored leaves and covered bridges. But that can wait 'til I'm old and driving a RV.

Maybe I can think of some other stuff...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 29 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

I'm diggin' your insight on this one. I'm looking into ways to take shorter trips rather then the longer ones I can't pull off at the moment! rolleyes.gif

All around the Canyonlands (Arizona, Utah) is pretty. Desert scenery with the cool rock formations.

This sounds really appealing. New England sounds good too. I love the Fall colours. Nothing beats it. You should head up to northern Ontario sometime in the Fall. It's absolutley magnificent. Even better if you like to fish. I can't say enough about the Red Woods on the Cali coast. happy.gif

I've read that the Old Canada Road Scenic Byway that goes between Maine and Quebec is supposed to be beautiful. Have you ever been?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
His Royal Monkeyness
post Jan 29 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Member No.: 580

i did a roadtrip around the U.S. (and part of Canada) in 1996 and went from Maine to Montreal, but for the life of me can't remember much about that portion of it. we probably would've done freeways though. didn't exactly do a lot of planning for scenic drives and such on that trip. we did drive the length of route 666 in new mexico (and i think art bell was on the radio talking about ufo's). get your kicks on route 666! devil.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jan 30 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #6

Commuter

I drove that a night...one of my long long overnight trips from Ontario to New Brunswick. sad.gif

But it seemed like a nice route! A little windy, a little hilly......

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Feb 2 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #7

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

The Cape Breton Trail in Nova Scotia, Canada ranks up there!

For exhilaration, you can't beat the world's most dangerous road in Bolivia (best taken by mountain bike!!) Check it out:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...28960/tpod.html

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Feb 3 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #8

Commuter

Yeah...totally agree with the Cape Breton trail.....Cabot trail? It's beautiful!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
exploreamerica
post Feb 25 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #9

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 34506

I love road trips!!

One of my favorites was in the western part of the U.S> because there is so much nature out there with parks like the Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains and all of the parks in Utah like Bryce, Zion and more!!
I am so proud of the page I made for this trip and you can go to it to see all the amazing scenary on this trip:

U.S. western roadtrip

Northeastern U.S. roadtrip

--------------------
Stuart

Visit my brand new summer trip to China, Malaysia, India and Egypt

Visit all of my Travelogues

A collection of all my worldwide travels over the course of my lifetime

My latest of three separate solo U.S. road trips

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth. By mark twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 25 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

I am so proud of the page I made for this trip and you can go to it to see all the amazing scenary on this trip:

Nice job Stuart! You should be proud!

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bradleyt
post Feb 28 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 26

There are no lack of beautiful drives in North America. If there is one thing we Canadians & Americans love is good roads. If you need further proof just check out my travelogues.

Aside from the Cabot Trail, PCH & Icefields my Top 5 are...

1. Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia, North & South Carolina -- Best to drive during the fall when the Appalachians will show off all their colour. A road so pretty that commercial traffic is not allowed on it.

2. Interstate 70 from Denver to Grand Junction, Colorado -- the whole drive is gorgeous especially in the late autumn when there is a dusting of snow everywhere but more specifically the 14-mile run through Glenwood Canyon is a marvel of road engineering and driveability.

3. Dempster Highway -- In the 800 km (760 of them unpaved) between Dawson City, Yukon & Inuvik, NWT you will pass by exactly 2 gas stations but you will cross the Arctic Circle once and the Continental Divide 3 times.

4. Creole Nature Trail -- From Port Arthur, Texas to New Iberia, Louisiana -- After Katrina I'm not even sure this road exists anymore but it was a beautiful drive where the waves of the Gulf of Mexico lapped up onto the road at some points before it veered off into the beautiful bayou.

5. US Route 2 from Grand Forks, North Dakota to Havre, Montana -- Some people may find it boring but I'm a big sucker for the wide open plains of the Midwest. Do the drive in the dead heat of July when you can see convection thunder storms build on the edge of the horizon.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Feb 28 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

2. Interstate 70 from Denver to Grand Junction, Colorado -- the whole drive is gorgeous especially in the late autumn when there is a dusting of snow everywhere but more specifically the 14-mile run through Glenwood Canyon is a marvel of road engineering and driveability.

This is a drive I'd love to go on.
Sometimes I think how much of a shame it is that on my trips I am always hopping borders, and never really checking out my own backyard. I did a tour of Canada as one of my first bigger trips b/c I think you should know your own country, but it's been soo long....

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
findingnine
post Mar 2 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 14300

Driving through BC was really pretty. You know, the whole mountain, trees, rivers...thing. Lots of interesting stops if you're not a hurry. Splashing through a river is very refreshing when a break is needed. Found the ferry ride fun too.

--------------------
This is all I got.
I couldn't make this up
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Mar 2 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

Brithish Columbia certainly is beautiful. I haven't been driving through it for quite some time, but do remember the gorgeous landscape. Definitely lots of interesting stops. Interesting people as well.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
battlemonkey
post Apr 9 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #15

Voyager

Member No.: 40839

Second from me for the Blue Ridge in the fall. Breathtaking, and if you are a mountain hiker, you can bag something like 44 peaks over 6000 feet tall -- not high by Western standards, but that's not bad for the Appalachians.

I've been to and through every state on the continent, usually multiple times, always by car. A few more of my all-time favorites:

1) Highway 89 -- From Glacier National Park to the Mexican border, through or very near Bryce, Zion, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Grand Teton, Yellowstone, the Very Large Array -- do I even need to go on? This is the sort of drive that can change your life.

2) Old Route 66 through New Mexico and Arizona -- the Mother Road ain't what she used to be, with most of it either gone or looking like any other stretch of American road, with Wal-Marts and strip malls. But NM and AZ were really a lot of fun, with lots of quirk and oddity still hanging on. Dinossaur parks and hotel rooms shaped like teepees abound.

3) US20 from Cape Cod to the Pacific coast. You pass through some of the ugliest, as well as most beautiful, places in America -- from the putrid smelling industrial rot of Gary, Indiana, to the city sprawl of Chicago, the farmlands of Iowa, and then the mind-blowing mountains and prairie lands of Wyoming. Then it's over the Rockies and to the Pacific northwest. The transformation as you go is amazing. And you get to swim in two oceans.

--------------------
Keith Allison
Teleport City...
Hitting you with the WHOLE loaf of kungfu!
www.teleport-city.com

Phantom Limb: We're not so different, you and I.
Brock Samson: Yeeeaah, I don't need another 'we're not so different' speech. I get those a lot.

"Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future." -- Criswell
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 10 2007, 07:28 AM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

Old Route 66 through New Mexico and Arizona

Lately Route 66 keeps coming up! I've had so many conversations about it and heard so many good things it's now on the agenda (tho there's no real, official agenda, it's still on there).

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
exploreamerica
post Apr 10 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #17

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 34506

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Apr 10 2007, 08:28 AM) *

Lately Route 66 keeps coming up! I've had so many conversations about it and heard so many good things it's now on the agenda (tho there's no real, official agenda, it's still on there).

Organized spontaneity.

--------------------
Stuart

Visit my brand new summer trip to China, Malaysia, India and Egypt

Visit all of my Travelogues

A collection of all my worldwide travels over the course of my lifetime

My latest of three separate solo U.S. road trips

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Broad, wholesome views cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth. By mark twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Apr 10 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(exploreamerica @ Apr 10 2007, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Apr 10 2007, 08:28 AM) *

Organized spontaneity.

Seems to work well.....

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
eddakath
post Apr 10 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #19

Voyager

From: From good ol' Oz! Currently living and teaching in Shaanxi Province China
Member No.: 277

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE, the Great Ocean Road in Victoria Australia is one of the most awesome drives you will ever take.

But the again, if you are willing come to China!

There are so many drives in Guangxi Province that are beyone beliefe.

Any road trip along the Vietnam/Chinese border is well beyond expectations. Then you can move on to Yunnan Province and drive from Kunming all the way to Shangrila taking in the Tiger Leaping Gorge.

The world is full of 'Road Trips' but it depends on what country you actually want to take the road trip in.

Do you want noodles, burgers, crepes, pasta, meat pies.

The world is your noodle!

--------------------
http://www.travelpod.com/members/eddakath

Grab a beer N click here
Who knows, maybe you'll stay awhile
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Apr 10 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #20

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

Guess I'm lucky as I've driven the Great Ocean Road and part of the old Route 66 between Vegas and the Grand Canyon. I've also been through Yunnan, China and walked Tiger Leaping Gorge biggrin.gif Any more suggestions?

Noticing most here are in USA.

How about driving the A303 in England passed Stonehenge lol unsure.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 06:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.