Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Sydney's Dust Bowl
introducinlyric
post Sep 22 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 56605

I awoke this morning with a strange dusty taste on my tongue only to then realize my room was brightly lit a freakish reddish orange i turned on the t.v to find out sydney is currently (as i type) having a dust storm. Sydney airport has had to close, ferries aren't working , the city is literally covered in a cloud of dust
my allergies are playing up big time and i have opted out from going to work. photos ive seen are pretty "end of the world" type movie stuff.
jst heard on the news now that it has reached as far as coffs harbour.
its proving to be a major health concern for people. my allergies are going beserk frantics.gif not to mention those with asthma etc
there are a few photos below but i have seen many that you cannot make out anything theyre just a reddish orange glow

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ScottWoz
post Sep 22 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

These pics are incredible. I'd received a few emails today about this but didn't realise the extent. I even emailed a mate in Kings Cross who lives in an apartment overlooking the harbour to see what he could see. I guess not much.

Probably a good idea staying home eh?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 22 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

people have been calling it "Dawn of the Red" laugh.gif
the pics are incredible but most others i have seen you couldnt make out much .
it was like waking up on mars, everything was simply a reddish orange glow and the air was sickening breathing it in you could taste the dirt/dust. it has since settled now visibility is good but dust/dirt remains over everythin. had bathroom window opened and the toilet seat was covered in dust. the wind is pretty hectic atm too
i choose to stay home as my allergies played up somethin fierce. my eyes were the worst and my breathing became a lil weezy so i opted to remain in bed.
there are some awesome videos out there which i will find and post here too

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
introducinlyric   Sydney's Dust Bowl   Sep 22 2009, 05:21 PM
introducinlyric   this video pretty much shows you what i tried expl...   Sep 22 2009, 11:01 PM
feeling_alive   That was really weird... and beautiful. I was awak...   Sep 22 2009, 11:33 PM
introducinlyric   My lungs are glad it is over now, sentiment ec...   Sep 23 2009, 12:04 AM
greekcypriot   Oh my God, Gerry I wonder why the orange colour...   Sep 23 2009, 04:35 AM
introducinlyric   Oh my God, Gerry I wonder why the orange colour...   Sep 23 2009, 04:52 AM
sianeth   Wow, that is so surreal... How long was it around...   Sep 23 2009, 08:49 AM
introducinlyric   Wow, that is so surreal... How long was it aroun...   Sep 23 2009, 09:22 PM
raniroo   Wow, those city photos are eerie...I heard that is...   Sep 23 2009, 10:13 AM
introducinlyric   Talk about Oz getting freak weather patterns late...   Sep 23 2009, 09:24 PM
starlagurl   Great catch, Gerre thanks! I put it up on the ...   Sep 23 2009, 11:49 AM
greekcypriot   Hi Gerre, Today is another day! What's the...   Sep 24 2009, 12:23 AM
introducinlyric   Hi Gerre, Today is another day! What's th...   Sep 24 2009, 03:11 AM
greekcypriot   So, Good News! Much cleaning work eh? Enjoy y...   Sep 24 2009, 04:36 AM
introducinlyric   there was quite a bit of cleaning to do :lol: all ...   Sep 24 2009, 04:37 AM

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 02:52 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.