Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good Hostels in Rio De Janeiro
jondells
post Jan 10 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12061
Nominate me as a Local Expert

What are some good hostels to stay in while in Rio?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 10 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Where abouts do you want to stay? There are some pretty good places in Copacabana....is that where you are thinking or something more downtown?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jondells
post Jan 10 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #3

I'm not really sure, but probably Copacabana or Ipanema. Which part of town would you recommend?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 10 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #4

Journeyer

I spent most of my time up at Ipanema but that was because I was staying in a rented condo. It was a little less touristy and busy and certainly wasn't as busy as far down the beach....Depends what your looking for.

Party scene? Copa

Quieter relaxation? Ipanema

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jondells
post Jan 15 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #5

Probably Copa then.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 15 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Journeyer

Luc went to Rio recently and he stayed at Mellow Yellow in Copa. He said it was good but you should make sure you book in advance.

Good luck!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Jan 20 2007, 04:03 PM
Post #7

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

We stayed at the Mellow Yellow in Copa, and it was ok. They were way overbooked for Carnival so it was a bit cramped. If we ever went back, we'd stay in Ipanema for sure. Copa was ok but the beach was nasty (we literally had to push trash away from us in the water). We found Ipanema's beach much nicer and the area of town more conducive to just hanging out.

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jondells
post Feb 23 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #8

Just leaving Rio and I have to say that Ipanema would be the place to stay that I would recommend. Both Copa and Ipanema are a walking distance apart. I stayed at a hostel (Las Colinas Residencia) which was pretty crappy, but had good people staying there which made it quite enjoyable, but was between the two. Very good location, but I'm sure there are other hostels in the area with better facilities.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joanna_2006
post Apr 16 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12829

I stayed at Hostel Harmonia in Ipanema. I think its good, friendly owner, and close enough to the beach!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
joanna_2006
post Apr 16 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12829

Hi all,
I have been travelling in SA for 2 months now, and is now in Argentina and about to end my trip in 2 weeks time.
I just want to share with you my bad experience in Manaus so that you do not repeat this.

I was approached by this agent called THOMAS or TOM at the Manaus airport about tours to the amazon, he has a girl with her who has just come back from one, and her also recommends the tour (even when I spoke to her in private, she did not complaint about anything).

So, another girl from England and myself have booked a tour through him. Just to make a long story short, I booked a 7 days tour which he promised is going to be 4 days at the lodge and 3 more days upstream. However, I waited for pick up at the lodge at day 4 and no one comes to pack me up, i was forced to stay with the lodge and spend the rest of the 3 days at some sites nearby.

I also met a lot of people at the lodge who booked their tour through Thomas, and they were all being promised for things that never happened, either about location, tour duration, accomodations, etc.

When I returned to Manaus, I contacted Thomas and finally got part of the money I paid back, but I did realised through talking to other people that I am still paying somewhat on the high side after getting some money back.

And, most importantly, its not about money, but the time that i have spent at the amazon was more than needed if I did not go upstream. And Thomas basically promised everything that you asked for and assured you that you will have it.

SO, IF YOU ARE APPROACHED BY HIM, DO NOT TRUST HIM!! YOU SHOULD GO TO A REPUTABLE TOUR AGENT, ALTHOUGH YOU END UP IN THE SAME LODGE, YOU PAY LESS AND GET ACCURATE INFORMATION ON WHAT TO EXPECT!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kris
post Apr 16 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #11

Pathfinder

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 370

QUOTE(joanna_2006 @ Apr 16 2007, 11:41 PM) *
I was approached by this agent called THOMAS or TOM at the Manaus airport about tours to the amazon,SO, IF YOU ARE APPROACHED BY HIM, DO NOT TRUST HIM!! YOU SHOULD GO TO A REPUTABLE TOUR AGENT, ALTHOUGH YOU END UP IN THE SAME LODGE, YOU PAY LESS AND GET ACCURATE INFORMATION ON WHAT TO EXPECT!!

sounds like manaus isn't all what it cracks up to be, and is full of con men like christiano in this story here

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Apr 17 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #12

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Good warning! THanks for posting it. smile.gif Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience though....

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dynamo1000
post May 9 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 53625

I had a different experience with Thomas, he got me a nice hotel room and the tour was great. We went up the Rio Negro on a riverboat and saw a lot of animals like pink dolphins, huge spiders, piranhas, different snakes and more. The guide Leonardo spoke excellent english and really knew everything about amazon wildlife. He caught an alligator of 2 meters with his hands. Of course you need to watch out in Manaus, a lot of bad tour operators. You can find Thomas everyday at the Airport. His site is amazonwildtour.com.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Jul 1 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #14

Tourist

Member No.: 232

I'm afraid I've had to moderate your post by removing the link because it featured nudity. A very TINY amount of nudity, if you catch my drift blow.gif

I'll leave it up to the Travelpod team whether to delete this topic altogether. Whilst you are clearly angry and want to warn others of the mistreatment you've had at the hands of this person, I'm not sure that getting personal in this way is suitable for the forums.

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ricardodias
post Feb 25 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 785761

Hello! In São Paulo there is many hotels good, safe and comfortable, but you need to choose one to assist to their needs. There is a very good guide of hotels, the hotels.com, that shows very interesting details on location and services that the hotel offers. Enter there, the site is that: http://www.hoteis.com/
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
leslieshay
post Aug 7 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #16

Wanderer

Member No.: 874251

This thread is a few years old but I am currently looking for accommodations for a two week stay in Rio in November and would love advice on where to stay from hostels to hotels or any other alternatives.

This will by my first trip ever to Brazil and I will be meeting up with friends and hanging out most of the time so I am not worried about being near the tourist attractions or the beach. I just need a clean and safe place to stay..that's all....it would be great to have some privacy though instead of a hostel if I could afford it.

I would use a hostel as my last resort. I want to be able to stay as long as possible once I get there, at least two weeks.

HELP! Advice needed! smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 06:16 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Brazil

Angra Dos Reis Hotels
Aracaju Hotels
Arraial d'Ajuda Hotels
Balneario Camboriu Hotels
Barueri Hotels
Belem Hotels
Belo Horizonte Hotels
Brasilia Hotels
Buzios Hotels
Campinas Hotels
Campo Grande Hotels
Curitiba Hotels
Florianopolis Hotels
Fortaleza Hotels
Foz de Iguacu Hotels
Goiania Hotels
Guaruja Hotels
Guarulhos Hotels
Jericoacoara Hotels
Joao Pessoa Hotels
Joinville Hotels
Londrina Hotels
Macae Hotels
Maceio Hotels
Manaus Hotels
Morro de Sao Paulo Hotels
Natal Hotels
Paraty Hotels
Porto Alegre Hotels
Porto Seguro Hotels
Porto de Galinhas Hotels
Praia do Forte Hotels
Recife Hotels
Ribeirao Preto Hotels
Rio de Janeiro Hotels
Salvador Hotels
Sao Jose Dos Campos Hotels
Sao Paulo Hotels
Trancoso Hotels
Vitoria Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.