Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jordan, Quick tips please
kathryn77
post Sep 18 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi all,
Someone I know is going to Jordan next week, but has been really busy and not had much time to plan. Thought I could ask if anyone has been lately and could quickly sum up some 'must-sees' and 'quirky/unusual' things not to miss when there? They are going for a week - any tips most welcome, and I'll pass on. I'm afraid I don't have any more detail than this.
Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
manzara
post Sep 19 2009, 02:41 AM
Post #2

Sightseer

From: Çeşme, Western Turkey. One of Turkey's best-kept secrets
Member No.: 262135

Hi. We visited Jordan for five days in April this year, during a holiday in Sinai, and very briefy visited:

Wadi Rum with a gentle desert 'stroll' to the Seven Pillars of Wisdom), although the highlight of many people's visit is to camp under the stars at one of the desert camps.

Petra, the Rose-Red City created from towering rock walls is one of the must-sees of not only Jordan but of the whole Middle East.

We hired a car and then drove up the King's Highway and Dead Sea Highway, via Dana and Kerek, to the shores of the Dead Sea. Floating in the waters at the lowest point on earth was amazing.

For more details of our trip look at my Blog: Red Sea to Dead Sea

or let me know if you need any more detailed information.

--------------------
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
Lao-tzy, Chinese Philosopher (604 - 531 BC)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Sep 19 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #3

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

QUOTE(manzara @ Sep 19 2009, 03:41 AM) *

Wadi Rum with a gentle desert 'stroll' to the Seven Pillars of Wisdom), although the highlight of many people's visit is to camp under the stars at one of the desert camps.

Petra, the Rose-Red City created from towering rock walls is one of the must-sees of not only Jordan but of the whole Middle East.

We hired a car and then drove up the King's Highway and Dead Sea Highway, via Dana and Kerek, to the shores of the Dead Sea. Floating in the waters at the lowest point on earth was amazing.

That is pretty spot on for the highlights. I spent 6 days in Jordan last month and hit all these places. You could send them to my blog too, if you like

A desert camp in Wadi Rum is a must with a long 4x4 ride in the desert.

Petra is great, it is much larger than what I had anticipated. 1 day will only scratch the surface. If they are big on hiking they may want to do two, but it is quite expensive for entry fees and such [it was included in my tour price, but the number was quite shocking how large].

We did the same thing driving up the King's Highway and Dead Sea Highway. Some of the stops that are worth it are the Dead Sea, Kerak Castle, and Shobak Castle. I also really enjoyed Mount Nebo as well, which is the mountain that Moses is rumored to be buried at. In the winter time it has views all the way to Jerusalem [better in the mornings]. Maybe they could start a day out in Madaba [nearby city] and hit Mount Nebo first thing before it gets too hot and the view obstructed, then drive to the public beach at the Dead Sea, then go down to Kerak and Shobak castles. It would be quite a long day, but that is what I did. I am sure there are day tours that are offered to include a lot of this too though.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Sep 19 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #4

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

Madaba is pretty cool. It's a christian town with a catholic church. Inside the church you can find the mosaic floor of a map of the holy land...Mount Nebo is great too and you can see over the holy lands.

You can do this on the way to the Dead Sea (from Amman)

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 19 2009, 12:42 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Fantastic! Thank-you all soooooo much. I will pass all of these tips on smile.gif
Thanks again flowers.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeremystravels
post Sep 20 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Commuter

Member No.: 217489

The church of the map in Madaba was pretty good. Inside the city itself there is not much else to do though, but its a great location for all of the other places that are within an hours drive.

--------------------
Local Expert for Ohio, USA
Next Countries: May 2010: Banff National Park - Canada
Planning RTW in 2010-2011 for Asia and South America - coverage here
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 20 2009, 01:40 PM
Post #7

Vagabond

Cool, thanks Jeremy flowers.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeuvaravive
post Dec 15 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 294394

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 20 2009, 01:40 PM) *

Cool, thanks Jeremy flowers.png

for any information about jordan your contact is welcome

jetaim1967@hotmail.com

hisham

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Dec 15 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #9

Vagabond

Thanks hisham - the person I wrote in for has been to Jordan now and returned, but thanks for adding to this flowers.png

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeuvaravive
post Dec 27 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #10

Group: Members
Member No.: 294394

hi
for any feedback or questions about tourism in jordan plz contact me
hisham

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 18 2009, 02:53 PM) *

Hi all,
Someone I know is going to Jordan next week, but has been really busy and not had much time to plan. Thought I could ask if anyone has been lately and could quickly sum up some 'must-sees' and 'quirky/unusual' things not to miss when there? They are going for a week - any tips most welcome, and I'll pass on. I'm afraid I don't have any more detail than this.
Thanks smile.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 03:07 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Jordan

Ajlun Hotels
Amman Hotels
Aqaba Hotels
Azraq Hotels
Dana Hotels
Dead Sea Region Hotels
Irbid Hotels
Jerash Hotels
Karak Hotels
Ma'in Hotels
Madaba Hotels
Shoubak Hotels
Sweimah Hotels
Tabaqat Fahl Hotels
Wadi Musa Hotels
Wadi Rum Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.