Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Southern india or sri lnka
mattandnicole
post Dec 5 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1365
Nominate me as a Local Expert

HI everyone

I have got 4 weeks off from teaching english in S-Korea and was wondering which of the above two countries you would go to as i don't think i could do both justice in such a short time frame.

Some specific Q:

1) is there enough stuff to do in sri lanka for 4 weeks

2) I understand that Jan -Feb is the best time to see southern india (that is why I chose this section)

3) regarding India in general (and my timeframe) what section would be best for 4 weeks?

thanks

matt
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mattandnicole
post Dec 6 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1365

Thanks for that- Thats what my think was

However, I have know 7 weeks paid vaction (got to love working for public schools) - what i was thinking was to drop india off completly and do it properly once i have finished teaching i.e. with no time issues.

Instead, as i believe, i will be taking singapore or thai airways, spend as much time us i want in sri lanka and then when i come home to Korea via sinagapore or thailand have a few weeks stop over.

The Question is if you had 3-4ish weeks were would you rather have a stopover in, singapore and i guess malasyia or indonesia or bangcock (sic)?

matt
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 7 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I'd agree with Malaysia.. I was there for about 3 weeks and it was a brilliant country. I was busy every day and will return someday. Singapore only needs 2 days max.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 7 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Me as well. Have had really good times in Malaysia. I thought Singapore was okay.....
Sri Lanka is on the agenda. Such an interesting history there.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Dec 7 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #5

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I'm gonna need at least 6 months to cover the sub continent and even that'll only be scrapping the surface.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Dec 7 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Yeah, no kidding Rich. I need some time off. Like, the rest of my life please!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jan 25 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #7

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Okay...here's a question.

I've got about four weeks off and I"m heading to India and was thinking about Sri Lanka.

Obviously, four weeks isn't enough time to visit India, but I'm planning on going back again anyway soI'm not that worried about it. (This trip is a recce!)

So.....what are some of the things I should see in India the first time I'm there? Since I'm planning on going back, I was thinking of doing the really touristy things the first time and then do more out of the way stuff the second time.

I have to go to Mysore for about a week, and was planning on spending some time in Goa....any thoughts?

Also, I was thinking of maybe going to Sri Lanka for a week or two. Thoughts on that (I can possibly extend my trip a bit)

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 26 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #8

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Hey Jess are you planning on going alone and backpacking? A light dustover would probably be good to find out where you would want to delve more the next time smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jan 26 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #9

Commuter

Hey Carm,

Yes, I'll be backpacking. I figure it's just the easiest way to go. Plan on taking everything you need, and if you happen to stay in a nicer hotel, then you've still got everything for next time. Plus, I like staying in cheaper places because the people are more friendly. Real hotels can be so isolating!

But no, I"m going with one of my friends.....we're going to India to check out some yoga stuff (I'm planning on spending time in Mysore over the next few years to get certified by my guru, Pattabis Jois.)

Then I might head over to Sri Lanka, but that depends on what's going on with writing and teaching at that point! smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 26 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #10

Journeyer

Jess this trip sounds so exciting! I am stoked for you. Please do blog about it so we can keep up and follow your adventure. I have to say, I am quite inspired and would love to do what you are doing some day. If I could ever get my body into a pretzel, that is. biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Jan 26 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #11

Commuter

Carm,

The really funny thing is that I dread travelling sometimes. Sometimes I have a really great time, and other times not so much. I think I just really like my life at home and am loathe to leave it. Got a great partner, wonderful work, fantastic friends, loving family etc.

Plus, I don't really feel the need to "find myself"..pretty sure of who I am! haha. So I don't really have the restless spirit anymore, so it's almost a push to force myself to travel. I think it's really good for the soul.

Certainly makes me appreciate home!

That being said, I'm on and off excited about this trip, but am really happy that one of my friends is coming with me!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 27 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #12

Journeyer

I know what you mean Jess. I go through phases where I want to travel and phases when I feel like its just so much work!

But almost inevitably, once I am out there and going, I am loving it. Just takes a bit of effort to get going and out of my comfort zone biggrin.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 03:55 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in India

Agra Hotels
Ahmedabad Hotels
Alappuzha Hotels
Amritsar Hotels
Bangalore Hotels
Bardez Hotels
Bhubaneswar Hotels
Calangute Hotels
Candolim Hotels
Chennai (Madras) Hotels
Darjeeling Hotels
Gangtok Hotels
Goa Hotels
Gurgaon Hotels
Haridwar Hotels
Hyderabad Hotels
Indore Hotels
Jaipur Hotels
Jaisalmer Hotels
Jodhpur Hotels
Kochi Hotels
Kodaikanal Hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta) Hotels
Kovalam Hotels
Manali Hotels
Mumbai (Bombay) Hotels
Munnar Hotels
Mussoorie Hotels
Mysore Hotels
Nainital Hotels
New Delhi Hotels
Ootacamund Hotels
Pondicherry Hotels
Pune Hotels
Salcette Hotels
Shimla Hotels
Srinagar Hotels
Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum) Hotels
Udaipur Hotels
Varanasi Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.