Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Italy in June, short vacation advice sought
zzz_Stevifer
post Feb 24 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 154
Nominate me as a Local Expert

A friend and I are heading to Italy for a week and a half in June. We'll be in Rome, Florence, and Venice.

Any advice? Where to stay? What can't be missed? Day trips out of the cities?

How easy is it to get by without any Italian? I speak Spanish and a little French (and English).

Thanks in advance.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
les
post Jun 28 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Unregistered

QUOTE(Stevifer @ Feb 24 2005, 12:58 PM) *

A friend and I are heading to Italy for a week and a half in June. We'll be in Rome, Florence, and Venice.

How easy is it to get by without any Italian? I speak Spanish and a little French (and English).

Thanks in advance.

Spend two days and nights in Venice, walk everywhere, get up early so the lines won't be too long for St. Marks. Feed the pigeons. Have a 10Euro cup of coffee in St Marks square and make sure you linger for your 10 Euro's worth. Take the public boats to see all the sites. Go see the Peggy Guggenheim museum, it is a must. Make sure you stay in a minimum 2 star hotel.

Take the earliest train to Florence. Stay Three days and nights in Venice. Go see every museum especially the Uffizi. Go see David. Go see the Medici mansion, gardens and museum. Go up to the roof of The Duomo. Wander around every night with the rest of the locals. Have a different flavour of gelati every night. Go up to Michelangelo park in the evening and look over the city until the sun sets. Stay in a hotel that is close to the Duomo, that way you will be close to everything. Take a bus tour one day to Pisa.

If at all possible spend two nights in Siena on the way to Rome. You will not regret it. The main piazza is the best in Italy.

Rome, what can I say. There is so much to see. All the ancient sites will take you two days. The museums will take you two days. St Peters and the Vatican Museum will take you one day. There are so many good places to eat in Rome that you will not believe it. Stay close to the Colossium, it is close to the Metro and to any buses to anywhere. It is real easy to get around Rome. Make sure you spend one evening at Trevi Fountain (Gelati is Excellent) and Spanish Steps.

I am assuming you will be taking trains.....
+Quote Post
torryton
post Nov 11 2011, 02:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2381383

I toured Europe for studying this summer and encountered many english speaking italians.
Generally not a very well English, but they try to make you understand.
Don't be so nervous...Italy is a very beautiful country.. party.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fiona.johnston
post Dec 1 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2430183

Sounds awesome but Im sure I will be fine
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
alanjgreenhalgh
post Feb 18 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

Member No.: 265330

QUOTE(Stevifer @ Feb 24 2005, 12:58 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

I suggest you visit Alans Italy on Youtube and see my posted videos about the three places you indicate. E mail questions to me at any time.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 07:01 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.