Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need info on Guangzhou, China
barsie
post Sep 15 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #1

Globetrotter

Group: Members
Member No.: 195337
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi I'm heading to Guangzhou in October for 3 days. It's technically 'work' as i'm going to the Canton fair but there's going to be plenty of leisure time.

Basically I don't want to stay right by the Canton fair, i'd like to stay in Guandzhou, somewhere with nightlife restaurants etc so I have something to do at night. Anyone any suggestions as to where I should be looking to book a hotel?

I'm finding information a little light on the ground, it seems a pretty big city by the looks of things- like hotels in a 10-15km radius. I always prefer to be within walking distance of a least enough amenities to keep me busy.

Any info would be great, would love to hear from someone who has been. I speak no mandarin and haven't been to China before so with lack of info i'm not sure what to expect.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 15 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hey, haven't seen you around for a while, sounds like an exciting trip!

Shane is really cool, I read his blog all the time and he seemed to like the
Bai'etan Bar District:
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...13400/tpod.html

He usually welcomes random people messaging him, so maybe you could send him a message and ask if he has recommendations.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 15 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 255321

HI Barsie,
Guangzhou is a great city. I visit there a couple times of year just to get away from home for a weekend. I don't know what kinda star rating you are looking for in hotels, or if you want hostels.

Hotels:

Lido Hotel Guangzhou 3 stars
Located on Beijing Street. It is in the middle of a bunch of great stuff to do.
No. 182, Beijing Road,Guangzhou, China,510115
http://www.lido-hotel.cn/index_en.aspx

Hotel Landmark Canton 4 stars
Located right downtown.
Qiao Guang Rd, Haizhu Square, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China, 20-8335-5988
www.hotel-landmark.com.cn

I've inspected both and found them to be very good and their locations are fantastic. Not everyone in the hotels can speak English, but the concierge and desk staff all can.

I hope this helps. If you are looking for hostels, let me know. I know of a couple.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
happysheep
post Sep 20 2009, 11:35 PM
Post #4

Explorer

Member No.: 235138

Guangzhou is a huge, sprawling place - not exactly my favourite city in the world. It gets crowded around the time of Canton Fairs and other trade fairs, though this and last year there are less buyers around.
There's a good basic subway system, freeways and elevated highways make for fast driving around town, and people from all parts of China reside there, but it is generally chaotic and frenetic.
Get a guidebook, a decent map in Chinese and English and explore, particularly around Shamian Island.
Have a look at http://regionalgeography.org/101blog/?p=131 for some info on the island enclave.
To stay in your comfort zone, check out the expat bars http://www.echinacities.com/cityguide/Guan...ial.aspx?n=3149
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 21 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Pathfinder

I don't know what you are in to, but Guangzhou has a lot to offer. It has some great museums and temples. I really like the parks as well. It's pretty easy to get around the city too. If you are looking for something in particular, let me know. I have a lot of material on Guangzhou.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 22 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #6

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(barsie @ Sep 15 2009, 07:13 PM) *

Hi I'm heading to Guangzhou in October for 3 days. It's technically 'work' as i'm going to the Canton fair but there's going to be plenty of leisure time.

Basically I don't want to stay right by the Canton fair, i'd like to stay in Guandzhou, somewhere with nightlife restaurants etc so I have something to do at night. Anyone any suggestions as to where I should be looking to book a hotel?

I'm finding information a little light on the ground, it seems a pretty big city by the looks of things- like hotels in a 10-15km radius. I always prefer to be within walking distance of a least enough amenities to keep me busy.

Any info would be great, would love to hear from someone who has been. I speak no mandarin and haven't been to China before so with lack of info i'm not sure what to expect.
Dave,

I emailed Shaney (Eddakath) funnily enough earlier - just on the off - to see if he wanted to meet up for a jolly when I shoot over to China for the second round of our 'not for the likes of you' tour. He lives in the region and knows the score, as much as we know that wonderful Asian concept of 'flat refusal'. I'll link you in on the email..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Sep 22 2009, 06:45 AM
Post #7

Globetrotter

Awesome good work Scott, I'd not had chance to have a look at the thread again.

Cheers for info everyone. Staying in the Victory hotel Shiaman Island, seems to be old colonial area. Sure it'll be good.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Sep 22 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

It's a no go mate. Shaney McGraney's way out, he's right up in Xian in the Qing mountains. What you've arranged should be fair enough. I'll be looking in to the Chinese visa headache later this morning..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 23 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #9

Pathfinder

QUOTE(barsie @ Sep 22 2009, 06:45 AM) *

Staying in the Victory hotel Shiaman Island, seems to be old colonial area. Sure it'll be good.

Could you do me a huge favor and take some photos and let me know what you think of the hotel? I am not familiar with it.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Sep 24 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #10

Globetrotter

QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Sep 24 2009, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(barsie @ Sep 22 2009, 06:45 AM) *

Staying in the Victory hotel Shiaman Island, seems to be old colonial area. Sure it'll be good.

Could you do me a huge favor and take some photos and let me know what you think of the hotel? I am not familiar with it.

I will do - i've just bought a new SD card for my camera as I want to take loads of photos.

When I get back i'll let you know all about it.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
shangguan
post Sep 24 2009, 05:15 AM
Post #11

Pathfinder

Wonderful! Thank you so much. If you have time I need photos of boring things like the exterior, restaruant, room, lobby, front desk, etc. If it's not too much trouble, it'd be really helpful.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
barsie
post Sep 30 2009, 02:32 AM
Post #12

Globetrotter

QUOTE(munnabhai @ Sep 30 2009, 06:19 AM) *

and to quote myself:

'I'm finding information a little light on the ground,'

Linking to google is no help to anyone, if you have actually read any of this forum you'd know that.

--------------------
Would be life traveler.

Visit BackPackingShop
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chinesetony
post Sep 30 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 391471

well ,first welcome to china. hope u have a good time there.
a short introduction for you. In china, lots of people enjoy the cantonese cuisine/food in guangzhou. The best food in Guangzhou. the hotel charge will be 500-1000RMB 5 stars hotel one night. and the charge for dinner will be 400RMb. of course u could go out for a dinner in the food street, that will be dirty cheaper with good flavor bad quality.
lots of hotels in guangzhou

Guangzhou Hotels Guangzhou, known also as Canton, the capital city of Guangdong province, is one of China's most prosperous cities. There are a few interesting temples and parks and most of the city's charm lies in its streets and alleyways.

Guangzhou China hotels booking. We provides map, information, photos, discount rates and reservation for China hotels in Guangzhou. From luxury to cheap budget hotels in Guangzhou, discount Guangzhou hotels and hostels in ChinaHotels.net.

1 2 3 Next >>
Grand International HotelNo. 468, Tianhe North Road, Tianhe District,Guangzhou 700.00--868.00 CNY (102.59--127.21 USD)
Opened in 2004. Grand International Hotel, a luxury business hotel, built to five star international standard, is located in the thriving center of Tianhe district.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:25 minutes]

Donlord International HotelNo.63, Guangzhou North Avenue, Tianhe District,Guangzhou 438.00--550.00 CNY (64.19--80.61 USD)
Donlord International Hotel is the first AAAAA green deluxe business hotel in Guangzhou, located at the foot of Baiyun Mountain. Only 5mins' drive to East Railway Station; 15mins' drive to Canton Fair, 30mins' drive to Baiyun Airport.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes]

NanYang Royal HotelNo. 11, Tianfu Road, Tianhe District,Guangzhou 438.00--1680.00 CNY (64.19--246.22 USD)
Nanyang Roayl Hotel is located on the Tianfu Road, Tianhe District where is Guangzhou's finance, commernce, technology, and art center, faces Tianhe Park and adjacent the government of Tianhe District. The hotel is about 5 minutes' drive to Pazhou Complex, 8 minutes' drive to East Railway Station and 40 minutes' drive to Baiyun International Airport by high way, enjoying good location.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:5 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:45 minutes]

Grand Royal HotelNo. 483, Zhongshan Avenue, Tianhe District,Guangzhou 528.00--888.00 CNY (77.38--130.15 USD)
Grand Royal Hotel is located at Dongpu in Tianhe district, which is to become the centre of business, finance, hi-technology and culture, only 15 minutes' drive to Pazhou Convention Center and 40 minutes' drive to the airport.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes]

Phoenix City HotelThe Phoenix City, Xintang Section, Guangyuan East Road,Guangzhou 580.00--1200.00 CNY (85--175.87 USD)
The hotel boasts its large garden area, wonderful environment, luxurious amenities and hospitable service. It offers free airport pickup and free shuttle bus to two fair centers during Canton Fair. It can apply for the admission card of Canton Fair for the guests.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:60 minutes]

Nanyang Kings Gate HotelNo. 38, Xinghua Road, Tianhe District,Guangzhou 300.00--1200.00 CNY (43.97--175.87 USD)
Nanyang King's Gate Hotel is located in the central part of Tianhe District, Guangzhou City, facing the scenic and charming Baiyun Mountain. It is only 45 minutes' drive to the New Baiyun International Airport and five minutes' drive to the Guangzhou Eastern Railway Station.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:25 minutes]

Regal Riviera HotelNo. 1, Haojing Street, Yizhou Road, Haizhu District,Guangzhou 470.00--1600.00 CNY (68.88--234.5 USD)
Opened in 2004. Regal Riviera Hotel Guangzhou, a five star hotel, is located in Haizhu District. It is near Guangzhou Pazhou Exhibition Center and CBD district.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:5 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:25 minutes]

Country Garden Holiday ResortsInside Country Garden, Yushan Road, Zhongcun, Puyu Town,Guangzhou 378.00--880.00 CNY (55.4--128.97 USD)
The hotel has a wonderful environment and is not far away from the two exhibitions of the Canton Fair with shuttle bus service.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:40 minutes]

New Pearl River International ApartmentNo. 795, Binjiang East Road, Haizhu District,Guangzhou 298.00--1588.00 CNY (43.67--232.74 USD)
The apartment is a fully new 4-star hotel, adjacent to Pear River, about 10 mins' drive to Guangzhou East Railway Station and 30 mins' drive to Baiyun Airport. Further more; it's only 10 mins' drive to Pazhou Complex, close to Metro Station and Beijing Road Walking Street.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:10 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:20 minutes]

White Palace HotelNo. 111, Yingbin Road, Dashi Town, Panyu District,Guangzhou 320.00--1000.00 CNY (46.9--146.56 USD)
The hotel is vocational and conference type hotel. Located on Yingbin Road(North), with its unique White House style architectures, it shows luxurious manner.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:50 minutes]

Hotel CantonNo. 374, Beijing Road, Yuexiu District,Guangzhou 428.00--950.00 CNY (62.73--139.23 USD)
The Hotel Canton is located near central Guangzhou, adjacent to Guangdong Guest House, government offices, Lido Hotel and Huifu West Road and only 15 minutes' drive from railway station.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:10 minutes]

Landsman HotelNo. 111-8, Liuhua Road, Yuexiu District,Guangzhou 290.00--780.00 CNY (42.5--114.32 USD)
The hotel is situated next to Liuhua Complex and facing the beautiful Liuhua Lake.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:40 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:2 minutes]

Sheng Tang HotelNo. 63, Linhexiheng Road, Tianhe District,Guangzhou 168.00--298.00 CNY (24.62--43.67 USD)
The hotel is only 5 minute's walk to Guangzhou East Railway Station and located in booming business downtown.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:15 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes]

Guangzhou Bai Gong HotelNo. 17, Renming South Road, Yuexiu District,Guangzhou 180.00--600.00 CNY (26.38--87.94 USD)
The hotel is located beside the beautiful Pearl River and in the flourishing central business area with very convenient traffic, shopping and entertainment.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:8 minutes]

Asia International Hotel326 Huanshi Dong Road,Guangzhou 730.00--900.00 CNY (106.99--131.9 USD)
Conveniently located in the business district of Guangzhou, the Asia International Hotel is a 5-star commercial hotel and just 15 minutes away from the airport and railway station.
[Pazhou Complex mins by taxi:30 minutes Liuhua Complex mins by taxi:8 minutes]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 11:59 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in China

Beijing Hotels
Changchun Hotels
Changsha Hotels
Chengdu Hotels
Chongqing Hotels
Dalian Hotels
Dongguan Hotels
Foshan Hotels
Fuzhou Hotels
Guangzhou Hotels
Guilin Hotels
Haikou Hotels
Hangzhou Hotels
Harbin Hotels
Hefei Hotels
Hong Kong Hotels
Jinan Hotels
Kunming Hotels
Lanzhou Hotels
Lijiang Hotels
Nanchang Hotels
Nanjing Hotels
Nanning Hotels
Ningbo Hotels
Qingdao Hotels
Sanya Hotels
Shanghai Hotels
Shenyang Hotels
Shenzhen Hotels
Suzhou Hotels
Taiyuan Hotels
Tianjin Hotels
Urumqi Hotels
Wenzhou Hotels
Wuhan Hotels
Wuxi Hotels
Xi'an Hotels
Xiamen Hotels
Zhengzhou Hotels
Zhuhai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.