Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Koh Phangan to go drug free?
wakingdream
post Sep 13 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Well, well, well! According to the Bangkok Post KP full moon parties will soon be put to rest.

IPB Image

The Office of the Narcotics Control Board's Division 8, responsible for the upper South, has implemented a joint operation with residents and tour businesses to prevent the use of illicit drugs at the beachside party.

Never been to KP and have never wanted to either, strictly for its reputation. I've been to many full moon parties but have never had the desire to go go to one there.

This is interesting and I wonder if they'll have success with the idea. I can say the locals must be just sick of it!

What do you guys think?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 14 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

I agree!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 14 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #3

Voyager

Member No.: 327921

I think people should be able to do whatever they want...as long as it has no effect on others. If you want to harm yourself, who am I or anyone else to tell you not to?

If the issue is the harm you to others then the first drug to be banned should be alcohol!

--------------------
Speak the truth, and speak it ever. Cost it what it will. For he who hides the wrong he did, Did the wrong thing still.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lunthom
post Sep 14 2009, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Nomad

Member No.: 103052

"Thailand is already such a fun place and especially Full Moon Party and i dont see the point in taking drugs at all"

That's good point means "Thailand "
Thank you , Frank .
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 25 2009, 11:40 AM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

the locals are making a fortune off these people and would be hard pressed to make up for lost profits if the parties are stopped

That's true but that doesn't mean they all like it. Haven't we all done things to earn a living that we don't like?

For most, tourism brings in the better money. Catering to ridiculously wasted tourists ( not ALL ofcourse) who don't give a &^% about the havoc they wreak must not be all that fun. Sure, some of the younger Thai's are having fun too, but like all of us, there comes a time when partying (like that) gets old.

FMPs there can get insane and that's just not a good thing for anyone. Since when is people dying a good thing? It just illustrates what the environment during those parties is like. Personally I think taking it down, even a notch, would be positive progress for everyone involved.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Sep 26 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 266185

Im going to Thailand in April and am gonna go to Koh Phangan to the full moon beach party but wont be taking drugs..
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Paul
post Sep 26 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #7

Navigator

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Sep 26 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Im going to Thailand in April and am gonna go to Koh Phangan to the full moon beach party but wont be taking drugs..

Good on you Luke.

The island is very beautiful. And if people like you can just go and have a party and have fun once a month - it would be possible for the island to stay a beautiful place and for the local people to have a decent life.

Sad some people take things too far with no regard for themselves or others and it is sad that some people (generally not locals - but others that have moved to the island) take advantage of that.

But hopefully you'll have a good time.
Try to get there a few days early to book good accommodation and also to give yourself time to explore the island and enjoy the great beaches and environment too.

Don't bother too much about any advice you get from expats that live on the island - they are mainly the stoners that are causing all the problems
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 27 2009, 10:01 AM
Post #8

Rolling Stone

so to think that these people would be happy when you take away their livlihood is a bit naive.

I don't think taking away their livelihood would make them happy, just saying that they don't really have a choice in it. They make a living how they can. It is what it is. There are plenty of places I've been in Thailand where locals don't seem the happiest accommodating drunken tourists but they do it anyway for obvious reasons. Have seen alot of Thais being incredibly disrespected and taken for granted. I just wish, for them, that they had broader choices.

Excellent smile.gif And you'll have a blast I'm sure. Some people just don't get that you can have fun without getting all messed up. Feel sorry for people who just don't know how to accomplish that.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Sep 27 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Pathfinder

I enjoy to have a party and dance but will only be going to a full moon party once cuz i want to actually see the country not spend my time drunk and not remembering most of it and feeling like S*$#e the next morning lol.

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 28 2009, 07:14 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(luke_1989 @ Sep 27 2009, 05:59 PM) *

I enjoy to have a party and dance but will only be going to a full moon party once cuz i want to actually see the country not spend my time drunk and not remembering most of it and feeling like S*$#e the next morning lol.

I think that might account for a large number of people who visit. It's too bad really. Not saying having some drinks is a bad thing. It's all about staying in control. I think that might be a whole other thread though!

This all ties in to traveling responsibly. Everyone has their own personal code and we shouldn't judge each other but it all comes down to responsible travel, respecting the people and places we visit and explore and representing ourselves with pride. Besides, you're right, who wants to put in all the work it takes to save and plan for a trip and then either feel like crap half the time or not remember what happened the night before!

So where are you headed first?

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Sep 28 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #11

Pathfinder

First i will be heading to Bangkok and am going to be doing this thing called thai intro to get me use to traveling as i have never been before. Thats a week 3 days in Bangkok and 4 in Koh Phangan. Then will stay on a few days for the full moon party then will probably travel back up to bangkok and northan thailand and then seeing how it goes. Want to see a few countries in SE Asia but will see who i meet and how i feel once im there.

Luke
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sunshinehippy
post Sep 30 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 391741

Hi Luke

You mentioned going to a Thai Intro...what's that about, can you give me more information? It's my first time in Bangkok too
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 30 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

Want to see a few countries in SE Asia but will see who i meet and how i feel once im there.

Sounds like a great plan. Take it as it comes. There's just no better way. So many people overplan.......

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Oct 1 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #14

Pathfinder

QUOTE(sunshinehippy @ Sep 30 2009, 08:49 AM) *

Hi Luke

You mentioned going to a Thai Intro...what's that about, can you give me more information? It's my first time in Bangkok too

Thai intro is where you travel thailand with a group of people for your first week and they give you advise etc.

http://www.thaintro.com/

When are you planning on going to Thailand?

Luke
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sunshinehippy
post Oct 1 2009, 02:45 AM
Post #15

Hi Luke

Im waiting on my VISA approval as we speak...Im meant to arrive on the 13th via Dubai, flying out from Durban South Africa. Where are you currently, tyou said you are coming in April?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
luke_1989
post Oct 1 2009, 06:49 AM
Post #16

Pathfinder

QUOTE(sunshinehippy @ Oct 1 2009, 02:45 AM) *

Hi Luke

Im waiting on my VISA approval as we speak...Im meant to arrive on the 13th via Dubai, flying out from Durban South Africa. Where are you currently, tyou said you are coming in April?

Im currently in the UK am not traveling at the moment but will start my gap year April 2010. I plan to do Thai Intro either the 17th or 20th April.

Do you mean 13th October you arrive?

How long will you be travelling for ?

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sunshinehippy
post Oct 1 2009, 07:25 AM
Post #17

Hey...I'm arriving on the 13th in Thailand...Im around for about 6 months, I'm actually coming that side for work but reallyu want to get in as much of Thailand as possible.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 01:11 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.