Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aussie hostels, what are they like??
julz184
post Oct 26 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23031

Hey

I'll be going to Aus for the first time next year, and it will also be my first time in a hostel.. I was just wondering what they are like generally speaking? I'm female and is it strange to have mixed rooms?
Are they generally clean and safe?
I'll be on a budget so they will be the $15 a night ones!!

Thanks for helping me with my research ; )
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thellie
post Oct 26 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

hi, it's been nearly 6 years since i was there, but generally i found no problems worse than snoring and farting... you'd get the occasional drunk wandering in too loudly, of course.

this was all down the east coast ( if i can recommend 2 places to stay in particular, they'd be the yha in bellingen, and the backpackers hostel on great keppel island
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
siscri
post Oct 26 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #3

Commuter

Member No.: 5389

Yep, they're all pretty sweet. I loved the hostels in Australia.

In terms of safety they generally provide a personal locker in your room. You'll have to provide your own padlock for it. I never had anything stolen. The few people I met who had been robbed were due to leaving stuff out.

As for cleanliness it's a pick'n'mix (I realise that's the wrong word but I was thinking about pick'n'mix). Some of them are remarkably clean and in great condition for the amount you're paying, but you get a few which aren't quite so good. Still, I don't remember any real nightmares.

As a male I can't say what it's like for a female to share. But I met alot of cool people to party with due to sharing rooms so it's all good. If you feel uncomfortable about sharing with guys then alot of hostels have girl only rooms.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
radsolv
post Oct 26 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #4

Globetrotter

Member No.: 95

I have stayed in mixed or unisex hostels a number of times as a younger man and more recently. My guess the risk of rape is near zero. Just scream real loud. It's unlikely to ever come up.

But under certain circumstances sexual tensions can run very high, especially if there are only a male and female in the room and some attraction.

Then there is the matter of modesty. Do you change in the room or go to the rest room. Sometimes that too is unisex. What do you wear to bed and to an early morning piss call? How do you handle others near nudity if it happens?

But after a possible initial shock you will probably become disinhibited and all will be well. Then too you may opt for a hostel that has girls only rooms.

Have a great trip.

PS. Oh yes. To emphasize the obvious, before signing in always ask to inspect the room and the toilet facilities.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lisartw
post Jan 6 2007, 06:11 AM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Member No.: 3672

I have to say that, so far, Australia comes bottom of the pile when it comes to hostels. The ones we have stayed in have been vile, proper horrid. But then we have stayed in cities, so what can you expect? All have been dirty, expensive and we've been holed up in cell-like rooms that are cramped, noisey and just plan rubbish. I think the best hostel we've stayed in was the Sydney Central YHA but even they managed to muck up our booking and chuck my boyfriend out of his room on the last night, at least it was clean though and a pleasant place to stay rather than the filthy flea pits we've had the misfortune to book! NZ hostels are way better IMO
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 6 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #6

Planet Pioneer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 692

I wasn't overly impressed with the Aussie hostels either. Most were dirty, loud and didn't provide adequate facilities. Some were really nice but a lot weren't worth the high prices they charged. I generally found the ones with a pool were better than the others, and they were all up north!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Jan 6 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #7

Tourist

Member No.: 232

I stayed in some corking hostels in Australia. If you're careful with your selections you'll find a clean, quiet and friendly place to put your head. A couple I can recommend:

Alice Springs: Annie's Place
Stayed in a clean and colourful double room. Great bar and cheap food (some two-for-one deal, absolute bargain)

Adelaide: Adelaide Backpackers Inn
Wonderfully friendly family-run hostel with lots of freebies - like apple pie and ice cream!

Also, the YHAs are generally of a high standard, if less raucous and a bit oldy-fash. I don't mind that at all tho - I'd rather get a good night's sleep than be woken at 4 in the morning by some English lager louts singing "Lean On Me" at the top of their voices ranting2.gif

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 6 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #8

Planet Pioneer

To be woken at 4am! Paradise!

Try having 15 Irish pissheads singing folk songs and dancing up/down the corridor all pissing night until 7am! Never stay at the Coffee Palace in St Kilda!

We tried to stay at the Ice Cream place in Adelaide but it was full due to the Clipsal 500 so we had to stay in the Blue Galah. Plastic Beds and generally a disgrace.

I think all the hostels in Alice are pretty good. Well maybe not Melankas but I stayed in Toddy's and it was alright. Had a pool and great bush tucker bbq's at night.

Also you won't find too many $15/night hostels in Aus. That seems to be average for very basic digs in Cairns but the further south you go the higher the fee. Around $25 in Sydney!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 6 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #9

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

I particularly liked "Beachhouse" in Mission Beach and "Art Factory" in Byron Bay. They both were really hard to leave. Good people and excellent atmosphere.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lisartw
post Jan 7 2007, 07:30 AM
Post #10

Wayfarer

Member No.: 3672

We're paying $33 each for a dorm room in Sydney at the moment and it is an absolute filth pit. But it was the only place we could get - sweat.gif crying_anim02.gif we're heading up the east coast so if anyone else has any good recommendations then feel free to post! We've booked the YHA for Brissie though, to be on the safe side!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 7 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Lisa,

Don't forget to try couchsurfing. You'll cut your costs down to nothing, meet great people and have fun along the way. Mix this up with a bit of dormage and you'll be laughing.. beach.gif

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 7 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #12

Planet Pioneer

I was given a couchsurfing card in Japan but I doubt I'd ever use it. Seems a weird concept to me but she was a good laugh.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea
post Jan 20 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #13

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

In general I found hostels in oz to be quite high standard. Of course there are places that are known for their parties and not much else... so it depends what you are looking for. I second an earlier poster's recommendation for the YHA in Bellingen - awesome - quiet and peaceful!

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 06:42 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.