Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tasmania visit suggestions
innocento
post Oct 25 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23812

Hi,

I intend visiting Tasmania for about a week this December. Probably will be flying into Hobart. Whilst there I would like to take a backpacking tour of about 3-5 days around Tasmania.

Appreciate if anyone could suggest from experience

a. Must see places in Hobart and around Tasmania - beyond the guidebooks and the standard places normally mentioned
b. Suggest economical and good backpacking tours for the same and prices if possible as i am on a budget.
c. Anyother important info on Tasmania

Thanks in advance

Innocento
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andrea
post Oct 27 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Globetrotter

Member No.: 2

The Overland Track is one of best treks I have ever done. At 75 km though, you won't be able to do the whole thing with your time constraints but I'd recomment doing a chuck of it if you can - like Cradle Mountain. I really liked the city of Hobart itself. Tassie has a really different feel than the rest of Oz.

Happy trails,

Andrea
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Oct 27 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

The climate is certainly different there. I've heard a lot of people say that Tassie's more like New Zealand..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Nov 3 2006, 08:19 AM
Post #4

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

I'm from Tasmania, so I can give you plenty of tips on where to visit! Although given a week you'll barely be able to scratch the surface. I've spent nearly 25 years there, and there are still places I haven' seen.

Definitely spend a saturday in Hobart. Check out the Salamanca market (biggest outdoor market in Australia) and then spend the afternoon and early evening hiking up Mt Wellington. Stunning views.

As for your other six days, well, what can I say? Cradle Mountain is a must see, but then again, so if Freycinet and the Tasman Peninsula. Port Arthur receives a lot of touists, but has a LOT of history and is a really interesting place to visit for an afternoon. Also, you can do a hike to Cape Hauy or Cape Raoul on the Tasman Peninsula. They are both about 4-5 hrs return by foot, however the 250m sea cliffs are just spectacular.

Mt Field National Park is also great to visit for waterfalls and alpine hiking, and you're guaranteed to see hundreds of pandanis smile.gif

Anyway, send me a PM if you want more details.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lisartw
post Jan 6 2007, 06:02 AM
Post #5

Wayfarer

Member No.: 3672

oh bum! I wish i had read this before now, we were in Tassie at the end of Dec so this would have been ideal. Luckily we went to the Salamanca markets and up Mt WEllington.

Although for anyone else reading this I would add Richmond, really interesting place not too far from Hobart (and on way back to airport). Get a ticket for the Goal - facinating!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Jan 6 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #6

Expeditionist

Agreed, Richmond is a great little town, well worth visiting.

Another great day trip from Hobart would be to venture south the Tahune airwalk to see some of our amazing old growth forest (before it's all cut down) and then continue on to Hastings cave.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
arrop
post Jan 22 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #7

Wanderer

Member No.: 9000

Is there any good snorkelling around Hobart?

Also, How long is the trek up Mt. Wellington, we are only in Hobart for 2 nights.

Thanks
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Jan 22 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #8

Expeditionist

Unfortunately Hobart isn't an ideal destination for snorkelling, meaning unless there's a hidden gem I'm unaware of, there's none.

To walk from the base of Mt Wellington to the summit will take about 4 hours, or maybe longer. If you just want the highlights, get a ride up to the springs, then hike to the top from there, via the organ pipes and zig zag track. You can do it in 2 hours. Beautiful place - love it!

--------------------

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Jan 29 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 124

Will,

Did you ever go do 'Wineglass Bay'?

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Jan 29 2007, 03:01 AM
Post #10

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I never got there which is a shame but I met someone who did the overland trek and loved it. Wineglass bay looks great too.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:44 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.