Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting my RTW trip in Sydney
kur4m4
post Sep 8 2009, 07:18 AM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 327921

Hello everyone,

As you might have read in one of my previous topics i'm about to go on a RTW trip in November, my plan is to spend 3 months visiting OZ, but basing myself in Sydney.

So here's a few questions I would really appreciate if some of you could help me with.

What are the best areas to live in sydney? I'm going with my girlfriend and we would like to rent a studio for 3 months (is it even possible?) not too far from the city center. We have a joint accomodation budget of about 200euros p/w (roughly 330$AUD). We are 23 and 21 and so a more student/young professionals subburb would be best. what are your suggestions?

Another question, if I was to travel with a simple toursist visa (my gf can get a working holiday visa), what are my options regarding work? Are there many cash in hand jobs available (bars, restaurants etc...)?

thank you all for your time and help

--------------------
Speak the truth, and speak it ever. Cost it what it will. For he who hides the wrong he did, Did the wrong thing still.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 8 2009, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Hiya,

My favourite places around Sydney would be Manly and Dee Why, up at the Northern Beaches - the ferry goes from Manly to Sydney Centre regularly and its about 30 mins max, which is pretty good going for Sydney transport! Its a really nice area, and I know one of my friends (student) managed to get a flat there for a year - I'm not sure of the pricing, but if she can afford it then it can't be too much!

If you want to work there then I'd suggest getting the working visa - I think they can be quite strict about people working on tourist visas, and I don't think most places would do cash in hand jobs, but I may be wrong, and you may be able to find somewhere if you look in the right places!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 8 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #3

Voyager

thank you for your help sianeth smile.gif I wanted to get a working visa but unfortunately it is not possible since I am not from one of the countries involved in the working holiday visa program sad.gif

--------------------
Speak the truth, and speak it ever. Cost it what it will. For he who hides the wrong he did, Did the wrong thing still.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 8 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(kur4m4 @ Sep 8 2009, 09:53 AM) *

thank you for your help sianeth smile.gif I wanted to get a working visa but unfortunately it is not possible since I am not from one of the countries involved in the working holiday visa program sad.gif

Ohhh, what a bummer!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 9 2009, 11:41 PM
Post #5

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 56605

Hi kur4m4

im a fellow sydney sider so here's my 2 cents smile.gif

living wise i would recommend you check out areas such as newtown, glebe ,annadale, enmore as they have a very "student vibe" being based in close proximity to university of Sydney. or there is Cronulla (the Bondi Beach of South Sydney) which is situated bout 30min train ride from Sydney City.
Kensingston/randwick are also good suburbs near UNSW another university and is close to city. Surry hills/paddington is always great but is a little more $$$$ as it is in the heart of Sydney.
North Sydney and beyond are lovely places but extremely $$$$ and disconnected from the heart of Sydney - plus you'll spend more money getting to and from so id suggest you try and situate yourself closer..

job wise the hospitality market is rather bleak atm and cash in hand jobs arent so easily available as they were pre-recession days. but they are still around - mostly you can get a "on the books" job and ask your employer to switch you to cash in hand and you shouldnt find any problems in doing so.

tourist visas will have most employers seeing red, most jobs atm are looking for ppl who arent "students or backpackers" so maybe some creative "storytelling" will go a long way......laugh.gif

Gerre

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 10 2009, 02:33 AM
Post #6

Voyager

thank you all for your fast replies smile.gif I still have over a month to figure out everything, I also had a look at that cityhobo website, pretty cool information regarding every suburb in sydney!

Also, thank you so much for all the information Gerre! I will bear in mind what u've said about the jobs wink.gif

So about the accomodation, what do you people think we can afford with ~350AUD per week?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 10 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

ur welcome smile.gif

is 350AUD ur weekly accommodation budget? oh wait you just said it was laugh.gif

350 a week (depending on where are you are living ) will generally get you an apartment and or townhouse or a house depending again what area your in.......

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 11 2009, 01:25 AM
Post #8

Voyager

Which areas would you recommend not too far from the city center with that sort of budget?

Also are there any big big aussie rules games between november and january or is it the end of the season?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 11 2009, 07:36 AM
Post #9

Voyager

what the hell dude? i'm asking about places in sydney for a 3 month stay...why would you tell me about those??

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 15 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(gdaysydneysider @ Sep 14 2009, 01:15 AM) *

for $350 i think you could find something decent in newtown, around the redfern/surry hills crossover, maybe somewhere in paddington but it would probably be small. what do you think fellow sydneysiders?

yes i agree but in light of Gonz other thread about gf not wanting to stay in "dodgy" areas i wouldnt recommend paddington and or redfern actually id advise against the enitre post above ^^^^^^^^^^ not that these places are dodgy (minus redfern - stay clear) ppl have been known to refer to them as such

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 15 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #11

Voyager

Thanks! I found this website: www.cityhobo.com that gives some information regarding the suburbs but I don't want to base my choice on just a website. So I might just post a small list of suburbs here and you guys can tell me which ones you recommend?

So far from what I read from cityhobo these seem like good options:

Paddington
Surrey Hills
Glebe
Darlinghurst
Balmain/Rozelle
Leichhardt
Potts Point
Newtown

Please tell me if any of these places are horrible to live in or should be avoided for some reason and point out those that you think are best smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 15 2009, 02:46 AM
Post #12

Rolling Stone

ok here's my brief opinions on places you are looking at

Paddington - nice area , v.$$$$ , gf may not like "area" if homophobic stay away

Surrey Hills - $$$$$ , v. nice area though also like paddington v. gay friendly neighbourhood so if homophobic stay clear

Glebe - affordable area very close to heart of city , not sure again if ur gf would like area though has similar rundown unkempt vibe as newtown does both places are extremely popular for sydney siders

Darlinghurst - heart of gay sydney in close proximity of paddington and surry hills

Balmain/Rozelle - i cant believe i didnt recommend balmain , yes good choice and forgotten name of street but there are lot of great cafes/restaurants in balmain

Leichhardt - another nice choice but if without a car annoying getting to and from

Potts Point - no , no , no stay clear this is pretty much smack bang in middle of kings x and you'll encounter drunks, druggies all the time - id drop this from list

Newtown - i love newtown , i miss newtown smile.gif nuff said . predominantly younger vibe , great cafes / restaurants great mix of ppl students , young / old, black/white, gay/ straight goth , emo and all those other clicks laugh.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 15 2009, 02:52 AM
Post #13

Voyager

so pretty much everywhere except for potts point + leichhardt cuz of the transport. Duly noted! We both have gay friends so that isn't an issue with us smile.gif

thanks for your help again Gerre! We should meet up for a coffee or something when we're in sydney!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 15 2009, 03:19 AM
Post #14

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kur4m4 @ Sep 15 2009, 02:52 AM) *

so pretty much everywhere except for potts point + leichhardt cuz of the transport. Duly noted! We both have gay friends so that isn't an issue with us smile.gif

laugh.gif basically yes.
Leichhardt im sure is serviced by buses but my experiences and friends has been "too much effort" to go to leichhardt - which is a shame as it has a great restaurant(s) vibe.

yeah potts point is rather seedy v.much like kings x - ok to visit there for a night out but i wouldnt recommend anyone live there........thats just me though

to reiterate (and add) to the list of places id recommend :

Newtown - Annadale, Broadway, Glebe ,Alexandria, Enmore , St Peters, Ultimo, Camperdown and Erkskinville are all in close proximity to Newtown and all are (by most) considered newtown

Kensington, Randwick and Maroubra

Coogee and or Bondi - if you want to be near the beach

and Rosebery area (where i used to work) and surrounding areas Mascot , Green Square, Beaconsfield are also nice places located close to city too

Also Balmain glad you thought of it as it's also a good choice smile.gif

QUOTE(kur4m4 @ Sep 15 2009, 02:52 AM) *

thanks for your help again Gerre! We should meet up for a coffee or something when we're in sydney!

Yes definately sounds like a plan - im not a (hot) coffee drinker so bring on the iced coffees/chocolates laugh.gif

p.s check out my own personal guide to Sydney i posted here on the forums MySydney - all places i wrote about are places/things i have done and loved..hence "mysydney"
might give you a few ideas when your here smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 15 2009, 03:25 AM
Post #15

Voyager

nice smile.gif well when I said coffee I mean any drink really biggrin.gif I already had a look at your post and made some notes about some of the places you mentioned!

Also looking at the lonely planet guide. Quick question thou, whats the best way to get to Ayers rock from sydney?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 15 2009, 03:45 AM
Post #16

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kur4m4 @ Sep 15 2009, 03:25 AM) *

Also looking at the lonely planet guide. Quick question thou, whats the best way to get to Ayers rock from sydney?

simple answer : fly laugh.gif

i wouldnt bus it or train it (if possible but ive never done this so i havent a clue)
are you going to NT after you leave Sydney?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kur4m4
post Sep 15 2009, 04:11 AM
Post #17

Voyager

well i'll be based in sydney but there are other parts of australia i would love to visit too, some might be a bit too far thou...but if i have the chance i will definitly go to NT. After I leave Sydney/Australia I'm going to NZ on a road trip smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 15 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #18

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kur4m4 @ Sep 15 2009, 04:11 AM) *

well i'll be based in sydney but there are other parts of australia i would love to visit too, some might be a bit too far thou...but if i have the chance i will definitly go to NT. After I leave Sydney/Australia I'm going to NZ on a road trip smile.gif

for a second there i thought maybe you thought ayers rock was in sydney laugh.gif

yeah flying would be the best option on getting to NT/Ayers Rock..... you could drive too have no idea how long that would take

what places in Oz r u wanting to visit whilst your here in Syd???

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 15 2009, 06:52 AM
Post #19

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

QUOTE(introducinlyric @ Sep 15 2009, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(kur4m4 @ Sep 15 2009, 04:11 AM) *

yeah flying would be the best option on getting to NT/Ayers Rock..... you could drive too have no idea how long that would take

I didn't drive there directly from Sydney when I went (few detours!) but I'm guessing 4-5 days straight driving?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Sep 15 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #20

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(sianeth @ Sep 15 2009, 06:52 AM) *

I didn't drive there directly from Sydney when I went (few detours!) but I'm guessing 4-5 days straight driving?

4-5 days thats not to bad

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 10:37 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.