Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dubai Metro
raniroo
post Sep 8 2009, 01:37 AM
Post #1

Sightseer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 19411

The much anticipated Dubai Metro opens on 10 September (with the launch party being on 09/09/09).

The Trains
Japanese manufacturer Kinki Sharyo is building a total of 87 five-car trains for the Red and Green lines. They are designed to carry 643 seated and standing passengers, and unusually for a mass transit system, the trains will have three classes of accommodation: Gold Class, Women and Children class, and regular Silver Class (economy). The first train was delivered to Dubai in March 2008.[14] The metro will have driverless operation and use third rail current collection. Trained wardens will accompany passengers to help with emergencies.

Luxurious interior
The interior of the trains is based on a water and air theme and every train will have five compartments. Every train will have three classes The Golden Class (VIP), the Women and Children's Class and the Silver Class (economy).

The Golden Class will have a luxurious interior with leather seating. The Women and Children's compartments will have plenty of space for strollers and bags to ensure a safe and comfortable journey.

The Silver Class has been finished in a combination of blues and greens. Seating is arranged in a variety of ways giving passengers the choice between admiring views through windows or chatting with friends.

Pricings

There are a number of options, single use or NOL cards, which are top up cards and require a fee. They are based on the Tiers (or Zones)

All in AED (Dirhams)
Gold Class (3.60 to 11.60)
Silver Class (Frequent Travellers) (1.80 - 5.80)
Blue Class (Economy) (Frequent Travellers with Secure Card) 1.80 - 5.80
Red Class (Tourist/Visitor) (Blue Class) 2.00 - 6.50 or 4.00- 13.00 (Gold Class)

Children under 5 or under 90cm tall ride for free

Here are some questions and answer compiled by Gulf News

What are the train running times?
Train run from 6am to 11pm, Saturday to Thursday and from 2pm to midnight on Fridays. During Ramadan, train times are from 6am to midnight, Saturday to Thursday and 2pm to midnight on Fridays.

Is there a ladies-only compartment on the train?
Yes, there is dedicated compartment for ladies and children only, but ladies can also travel in other compartments on the train.

Fares and tickets

What is a 'Nol Card'?
The Nol Card is a unified automated fare collection card (UAFC) introduced by the RTA as part of its new unified fare collection system for all modes of transports. There are four categories of Nol Cards. Nol is an old Persian word, which means 'tariff' or 'fare'. It was previously used in the UAE to mean 'fare', but is not in common use these days. Can the Nol Card be used on buses as well? Nol cards can be used for all modes of transport including the metro, buses and water transport. At later stage, it will be used for parking as well.

Are there any monthly passes for unlimited travel?
Commuters have various ticket options for riding Metro trains. They can buy single journey tickets ranging from Dh2 to Dh6.5, daily passes for Dh14 and monthly passes ranging from Dh100, Dh180 and Dh270 depending on their journey plans. These passes will be launched in phases until December 2009.

What happens if I damage or lose my ticket?
You are responsible for your ticket, so if you lose your ticket then you might have to pay a fine. For a damaged ticket, the station agent will examine the ticket. If it is damaged deliberately then you will have to pay a fine if you are in the paid area, but if ticket is faulty then you can go to ticket office to get it replaced.

How far ahead can I purchase a ticket?
If you buy a Nol Red ticket, you have to use it within 90 days and this will be calculated from the date of purchase of your ticket. But other types of tickets such as Nol Silver Card, Nol Golden Card and Nol Blue Card are valid for five years. All you need to do is top up your account.

Will bus travel be free if you pay for the Metro trip?
Yes, there is only one fare to complete the journey using the Metro and bus or either of them. A passenger can take a free trip on the bus if he gets into the bus within 30 minutes of alighting from the Metro and vice versa.

How do I check-in and check-out on buses using my Nol Card?
When you enter a bus you need to touch your card onto the Nol card reader, located near the Bus driver. When you exit the bus, you also need to touch your card on the reader. The system will check that your card has a valid travel pass, calculate the fare for the trip you have just taken and deduct that amount from your e-purse, or deduct one trip from your card, whichever the case may be. If you do not check-out, the system will always deduct the maximum fare, so you should always remember to check-out.

Can I travel by bus and the metro with the same card?
Yes. A Nol Card can be used on all modes of travel. But, with a Nol Red Ticket you cannot change modes of travel using the same ticket. So it can only be used for Bus only or Metro only.

How can I check the remaining balance of my card?
The balance of your Nol Card will be shown when you check-in / check-out on Metro and buses. You can also view it from any ticket vending machine, ticket office, and authorised sales agents. Soon, you will be able to check it online by visiting www.nol.ae

When should I use a Nol Card and when should I use a Nol Red Ticket?
Cards are ideal for you if you are a frequent traveller or wish to travel across different modes of transport using a single card. Tickets are ideal for visitors and occasional travellers.

How can I amend my ticket?
All tickets are issued as non changeable but you can pay excess fare. For example, if you have travelled more than the value of your Nol Red Ticket, you will have to pay the difference at the end of your journey. But, the fare will automatically be deducted from Nol Silver, Nol Gold and Nol Blue cards.

Are the tickets refundable?
A Nol Red Ticket is non-refundable unless it is faulty but all other cards are refundable.

Can I still use cash to travel?
You will not be able to use cash to pay for Bus, Metro and Water Bus. You have to buy Nol Red Ticket or Nol Card before riding any of these transport means.

How do Nol Cards and Tickets Work?
A Nol Card is a contactless smart card. You just hold your Nol Card over a Nol Card reader, and the reader is able to automatically validate the card, and deduct a trip or deduct the correct fare for the journey taken.

About feeder buses

What is a 'feeder bus'?
A feeder bus service is dedicated to feeding Dubai Metro stations, enabling passengers to reach the stations from the nearby communities. Its route number starts with the letter 'F'.

Where can I get a 'feeder bus' to reach the Metro station?
Almost every metro station is served with feeder buses, which will carry passengers to communities around the stations. Buses are available every 10 minutes on every station. Electronic boards inside the stations will be used to inform passengers about the arrival and departure of buses.

General Facilities [i]

Is car parking free for Metro users?
Yes, car parking for Dubai Metro users will be free at the three designated parking lots including one each at Al Rashidiya, Al Qusais and Nakheel Harbour and Tower Stations. Parking at these parking lots will be Dh10 per hour and Dh50 per day for those not using the Metro. Roadside parking in paid parking zones is not free.

Can people not travelling on the metro use the pedestrian bridges linked to the Metro stations?
Yes, pedestrian bridges at Metro stations can be used by all even if they are not using the Metro and they will remain open round the clock.

Can I carry a bicycle on the train?
Bicycles and big luggage are not allowed inside the trains.

Are there passenger pick-up and drop-off areas at the station?
Yes, there are pick up and drop off areas for passengers at every station.

Are there taxi ranks at the station?
Yes, taxis will be available at all the stations. The RTA has built special taxi ranks at every station.

About the Stations

What kind of outlets are at the stations?
Dubai Metro stations have been designed serve as mini shopping centre as they have food outlets, convenience stores, airline booking and travel offices, ATMs and even bank counters. There will also be vending machines for soft drinks, newspapers and Metro tickets/cards.

There will be WiFi internet access and mobile phone coverage through the Metro track and stations including the underground parts of the Metro.

Is there any facility for left luggage at the stations?
There are no facilities for left luggage at the station. There are, however, on board temporary storage facilities that can be utilised while travelling between stations to your destination.

Will there be prayer rooms made available for the public? Due to the size of the stations, there are no provision for prayers made for the public.

Are there washrooms/toilets available at the stations?
Yes, all the stations have washroom / toilet facilities for the public and special needs people.

Dubai Metro

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kilgiraffe
post Sep 8 2009, 03:04 AM
Post #2

Expeditionist

Member No.: 285187

Saw quite a few trains making test runs over the last few days, and my neighbour is helping out with some of the tech stuff and got a free ride on it yesterday - pretty cool stuff!

I've heard a lot of complaints however that the stations are in fairly awkward locations. There's quite a few in proximity to shopping malls but it's a pretty decent walk still. And locals hate walking tongue.gif So people are still skeptical about how effective it's going to be long-term. Although Dubai really does lack public transport at present so it's going to have some good effects regardless, so everyone's pretty excited smile.gif Is there a publicly available metro map at present?

Apparently only 10 of the proposed stations are going to be opened tomorrow, in order to meet the 09/09/09 date, so more should be rolled out soon.

--------------------
Sarah: Little girl, big dreams. Currently living in Scotland
British born, Barbados raised, slowly but surely getting out there. One day..
Next trips: Australia Late March-April; Europe Late June-Mid August
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 8 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Wow, that is alot of great info!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
raniroo
post Sep 13 2009, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Sightseer

Member No.: 19411

IPB Image

This is the clearest map I could find at the moment. Typically, the maps on the dubai metro and rta website are showing errors within the map.

Dubai RTA website

--------------------
If you really look like your passport photo, you need the holiday!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kilgiraffe
post Sep 15 2009, 12:39 AM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Member No.: 285187

Wow, big map!

They have some ambitious plans for the future though - the Purple and Blue lines, some mystery Yellow line, and connecting the Palm monorail to the Red line..

They were true to their opening date though [did you catch the fireworks?], even though only 3 stations were 100% open to the public! And now to wait until next year to see the full thing tongue.gif

--------------------
Sarah: Little girl, big dreams. Currently living in Scotland
British born, Barbados raised, slowly but surely getting out there. One day..
Next trips: Australia Late March-April; Europe Late June-Mid August
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tel4rent
post Dec 3 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 555041
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi all,

I have put under "one roof" all the necessary info for the dubai metro commuter. Check the link www.dubaimetro.tel Hope you like it. Your feedback are welcome.

thanks, tel4rent
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 07:39 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in United Arab Emirates

Abu Dhabi Hotels
Ajman Hotels
Al Ain Hotels
Dibba Hotels
Dubai Hotels
Fujairah Hotels
Hatta Hotels
Jebel Dhanna Hotels
Khorfakkan Hotels
Liwa Hotels
Madinat Zayed Hotels
Mirfa Hotels
Ras Al Khaimah Hotels
Saadiyat Island Hotels
Sharjah Hotels
Sir Bani Yas Island Hotels
Umm Al Quwain Hotels
Yas Island Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.