Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Canada...where to start?
rich
post Oct 16 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 8736

Hi,

I'm going to Japan in February, but next on my list of places to visit after that is Canada, and I'll probably get a Working Holiday Visa and arrive late 2007/early 2008. But it's a bloody big place and admittedly I've not done any research whatsoever, but where do backpackers usually start? What's a typical route? My main backpacking experience so far has been a year in NZ, and it's very easy to know where to go there and of course it's possible to see most of the country...Canada's so big that it daunts me to be honest!

Any tips? Is Canada a good place for backpacking?

Apologies for the random, spur of the moment post! wacko.gif

Rich
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jessica_CDN
post Oct 16 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Commuter

Member No.: 519

Canada's great for backpacking!

But be warned, it's kindof expensive. If you're travelling during the summer, you can save a lot by camping. In the winter, I recommend couchsurfing as much as possible! that way you can go to some smaller towns that might not have hostels.

If you're pressed for time, I'd fly to Vancouver, travel around BC etc, then head inland to Alberta - great province. Then I'd fly to Ontario and chill out there for a bit...see Ottawa and Toronto, and of course NIagara falls and many other things, then I'd fly to Halifax and travel through the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

I'll get more detailed if you'd like, but I'll give others a chance to post their thoughts here first.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 16 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(Jessica_CDN @ Oct 16 2006, 05:01 PM) *

Canada's great for backpacking!

But be warned, it's kindof expensive. If you're travelling during the summer, you can save a lot by camping. In the winter, I recommend couchsurfing as much as possible! that way you can go to some smaller towns that might not have hostels.

If you're pressed for time, I'd fly to Vancouver, travel around BC etc, then head inland to Alberta - great province. Then I'd fly to Ontario and chill out there for a bit...see Ottawa and Toronto, and of course NIagara falls and many other things, then I'd fly to Halifax and travel through the Maritimes and Newfoundland.

I'll get more detailed if you'd like, but I'll give others a chance to post their thoughts here first.

Jess, you got it bang on! The best of everything! This is a great route! And if you're not pressed for time, you can do the same route and slow down alittle.

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rich
post Oct 19 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #4

Voyager

Member No.: 8736

Thanks for the replies! speak_cool.gif

I'll be back for more info some time next year............

Rich
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 11:27 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Canada

Banff Hotels
Calgary Hotels
Canmore Hotels
Charlottetown Hotels
Edmonton Hotels
Fredericton Hotels
Gatineau Hotels
Grande Prairie Hotels
Halifax Hotels
Hamilton Hotels
Jasper Hotels
Kamloops Hotels
Kelowna Hotels
Kingston Hotels
Laval Hotels
London Hotels
Markham Hotels
Mississauga Hotels
Moncton Hotels
Mont Tremblant Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Niagara Falls Hotels
Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
North York Hotels
Ottawa Hotels
Penticton Hotels
Quebec City Hotels
Red Deer Hotels
Regina Hotels
Richmond Hotels
Saskatoon Hotels
St. John's Hotels
Sudbury Hotels
Surrey Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Vancouver Hotels
Victoria Hotels
Whistler Hotels
Windsor Hotels
Winnipeg Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.