Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is everyone on Travelpod moving to Scotland??
kilgiraffe
post Sep 16 2009, 04:32 AM
Post #41

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 285187

With you on the outdoors motion! smile.gif Don't worry, we're not raging alcoholics! We can survive without pubs biggrin.gif

Flying into Glasgow on Friday! Fun fun smile.gif

--------------------
Sarah: Little girl, big dreams. Currently living in Scotland
British born, Barbados raised, slowly but surely getting out there. One day..
Next trips: Australia Late March-April; Europe Late June-Mid August
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 16 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #42

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

Eeeeeek, looks like I'm starting on Monday so will have to find somewhere to live sharpish!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 17 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #43

Vagabond

Member No.: 30044

Sorry guys - been away with work - manic!!!

All sounds cool - haven't thought of a 'real plan'/options yet from my side, just locations....and Perth might be a good bet you know, as it is really central Scotland, so to come from Aberdeen it's an hour and a half on the train - probably same for me from where my folks are, then you two are right there! Paula is interested too, so have to think about that too, but she was into Ben Nevis which would be a mission to get to, so Perth (ish) should be OK??

Or Aviemore....

anyway, there's loads of outdoors stuff to do in both places - white water rafting...paintballing...stuff like that - Charlotte, you probably will be able to add to that as you're from that area...I've only been to Perth and Aviemore once each, but I know you could do all sorts - actually - can you do zorbing?? Always fancied that, never done it...?

Sian - left you a comment about the Stirling thing somewhere else...let me know - might ask her anyways!!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 18 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #44

Jet Setter

Zorbing biggrin.gif I love it! My Mum bought the Rough Guide Scotland book so I will have a look in there and see what comes up...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kilgiraffe
post Sep 20 2009, 02:02 AM
Post #45

Expeditionist

In Aberdeen now! smile.gif Actually drove through both Stirling and Perth to get up here.. but Aviemore and Perth are both really accessible from here so just keep me posted!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 20 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #46

Vagabond

Will do smile.gif Enjoy Freshers Week!
You must go to the cafe down at the beach one day and get one of their milkshakes. YUM!!
I can't remember what it's called, but it's massive, and behind the funfair, facing the beach.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 21 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #47

Jet Setter

I'm in Stirling biggrin.gif Went to Dundee today, and will be off to Edinburgh this week aswell... I'm exciiiiited!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelmonster
post Sep 21 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #48

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 101826

Sounds like you are having fun Sian!! I loved Edinburgh when I went - have a good time dance.gif

--------------------
In Search Of ...........

"Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment sparkling like a star in our hand -- and melting like a snowflake" - Marie Beynon Ray
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 21 2009, 03:23 PM
Post #49

Vagabond

Oh, when you go to Edinburgh, if you want a bite to eat, the small street that runs parallel to Princes Street (it's called Rose St. and is parallel away from the castle direction). Loads of cute pubs with funny names like "Filthy McNasties", "The Cat & Bagpipes" etc etc, and all home-cooked hearty food smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kilgiraffe
post Sep 22 2009, 04:37 AM
Post #50

Expeditionist

Haven't quite gotten down to the beach, although I have been getting to know the main street very well.. mostly at night [with big groups] with a very high blood alcohol content tongue.gif Might go down this weekend!

And yay, another step closer to Scotland exploration! smile.gif I do have to get some form of part-time work to pay for my next trip[s] so hopefully I won't get too screwed over by schedules..

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 22 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #51

Jet Setter

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 21 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Oh, when you go to Edinburgh, if you want a bite to eat, the small street that runs parallel to Princes Street (it's called Rose St. and is parallel away from the castle direction). Loads of cute pubs with funny names like "Filthy McNasties", "The Cat & Bagpipes" etc etc, and all home-cooked hearty food smile.gif

Cool... maybe this weekend I'll get down there. I'm now thinking I might be better off living more Edinburgh way... mainly because I had to be at the swimming pool in Edinburgh for 5am this morning and getting there from Stirling was not ideal! So if that continues then I need a bit of a rethink!!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 22 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #52

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 103914

So when are you guys all meeting up?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 22 2009, 02:47 PM
Post #53

Vagabond

QUOTE(kilgiraffe @ Sep 22 2009, 10:37 AM) *

Haven't quite gotten down to the beach, although I have been getting to know the main street very well.. mostly at night [with big groups] with a very high blood alcohol content tongue.gif Might go down this weekend!

And yay, another step closer to Scotland exploration! smile.gif I do have to get some form of part-time work to pay for my next trip[s] so hopefully I won't get too screwed over by schedules..

Very good smile.gif That's what I like to hear smile.gif I had a part time job in Argos in the Trinity Centre when I was a student there. I loved that job. If only life was that easy now...
Anyway, they usually take on a heap of staff from now until the run up until Christmas - get in early! Chances are you'll get kept on after Christmas - I did - I was there for 4 years

QUOTE(sianeth @ Sep 22 2009, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 21 2009, 09:23 PM) *

Cool... maybe this weekend I'll get down there. I'm now thinking I might be better off living more Edinburgh way... mainly because I had to be at the swimming pool in Edinburgh for 5am this morning and getting there from Stirling was not ideal! So if that continues then I need a bit of a rethink!!!

What about living in Linlithgow? It's about halfway between Edinburgh & Stirling, and is convenient for Glasgow too. You can get into Edinburgh on the train from Linlithgow in 20 minutes and to Stirling in 30 minutes - no changing trains either smile.gif Linlithgow's a lovely commuter town - I'm not sure about the renting situation, but that would be my recommendation given what you said...

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 22 2009, 04:49 PM) *

So when are you guys all meeting up?

For me, it won't be any time soon, as I will have to fly over and I'm really busy with work at the moment sad.gif For sure we'll keep you posted smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 22 2009, 03:07 PM
Post #54

Jet Setter

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that. Laura is being v helpful aswell so I'm sure I owe you both a few drinks/cakes/deep fried mars bars when we do get round to sorting out a meet up!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 22 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #55

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 22 2009, 03:47 PM) *

For me, it won't be any time soon, as I will have to fly over and I'm really busy with work at the moment sad.gif For sure we'll keep you posted smile.gif

Ohhhhhhh boooooooo.

Sian? Sarah? Paula?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 23 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #56

Vagabond

QUOTE(sianeth @ Sep 22 2009, 09:07 PM) *

Sweet, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into that. Laura is being v helpful aswell so I'm sure I owe you both a few drinks/cakes/deep fried mars bars when we do get round to sorting out a meet up!

sick.png deep fried mars bars sick.png laugh.gif

No worries, and glad Laura is helping too and you managed to find each other smile.gif

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 22 2009, 09:16 PM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Sep 22 2009, 03:47 PM) *

Ohhhhhhh boooooooo.

Sian? Sarah? Paula?

Even if I wasn't so busy, it would still be at least a few weeks before I could arrange to go over. There's only 3 flights a day, at awkward times of the day without taking time off work and I need to book well in advance to get a deal to make it worth it. My best friend just got engaged as well smile.gif , so believe me, I do want to go over sad.gif
If the others want to go ahead without me, that's fine, but I will be sad.gif at missing out

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 23 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #57

Rolling Stone

Well there's nothing saying you can't do it more than once!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Sep 23 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #58

Jet Setter

Ahhh, there's no rush! Myself and Sarah I'm sure will be here a while, and tbh I'm a bit flat out learning the ropes at work/trying to find somewhere to live. It is so beautiful here though, I'm really itching to get out and explore... I'll take a photo of the view from my window if the weather's nice tomorrow and post it smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kathryn77
post Sep 23 2009, 04:00 PM
Post #59

Vagabond

QUOTE(sianeth @ Sep 23 2009, 09:50 PM) *

Ahhh, there's no rush! Myself and Sarah I'm sure will be here a while, and tbh I'm a bit flat out learning the ropes at work/trying to find somewhere to live. It is so beautiful here though, I'm really itching to get out and explore... I'll take a photo of the view from my window if the weather's nice tomorrow and post it smile.gif

I thought that might be the case. Give us a shout when you're settled, and Sarah's found her way out of the bars at freshers week / fortnight / month tongue.gif (Not forgetting Charlotte & Paula too, and anyone else we find en-route laugh.gif )

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kilgiraffe
post Sep 28 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #60

Expeditionist

Week*. It finished yesterday, I was quite annoyed sad.gif

We have a reading week sometime in November so I'll let you know how it goes..! But yes, other than Christmas break I'll be here until June!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 12:37 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.