Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peruvian Adventure
whereshegoes
post Oct 10 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Here are the stops:

Ica, Paracas National Reserve

Nazca Lines

Arequipa, Colca Canyon

Cuzco, Macchu Picchu

Manu National Park

Any info on how best to get around, recommended buses through Lima > Ica > Nazca > Arequipa > Cuzco, then flying out of Cuzco back to Lima.

Any info or special secrets one should know for this journey?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Oct 18 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Group: Members
Member No.: 5
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Thank you for your knowledge! I will let you know how it fares smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 18 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Carm, I was Peru in 2000, during the second last election, and pretty much did the same route.
Most memorable for me was hiking Macchu Picchu. We were able to do it w/out a guide, and I have to say it was one of the most amazing treks I have done to date. I found it quite difficult at time, carrying all our own gear,but it was so well worth it! VERY cold at night. Things were slightly hairy in Lima as the election was going on and there was a huge military presence everywhere. I remember walking thru the Plaza de Armas in Lima and seeing thousands of miltary officials with these huge shields and massive guns. A bit intimidating, but we didn't experience any trouble tho.
Colca Canyon would be a favourite for me as well. You can get a tour from Arequipa. We took a few days and did a tour thru staying in Chivay visiting the hot springs and small mountian towns along the way. Condor's Pass, or Mirador Cruz del Condor was awe-inspiring for me. The Condors fly on the thermal current, and are absolutley magnificent to watch! Their wings span 10 ft! I think this is a must-see!
Arequipa is gorgeous as well. The architecture is beautiful. Lake Titicaca is wonderful to see as well as Puno. Really, the landscape, the people, everything was phenomenal. And yes, there is no lack of anything to do or see in Cusco and surrounding. Loads of day trips: Paucartambo, Tres Cruses and definitely Tipon are some I did and fully enjoyed. There is just so much history there, it's enough to blow your mind! Sorry I can't remember anymore details at the moment, but will think on it. Surely I can think of some more useful tips. Oh, you've definitely got to try the dune boarding! So fun!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 02:02 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Peru

Abancay Hotels
Aguas Calientes Hotels
Arequipa Hotels
Ayacucho Hotels
Cabanaconde Hotels
Cajamarca Hotels
Chachapoyas Hotels
Chiclayo Hotels
Chivay Hotels
Colca Canyon Hotels
Cusco Hotels
Huacachina Hotels
Huancayo Hotels
Huanchaco Hotels
Huaraz Hotels
Ica Hotels
Ilo Hotels
Iquitos Hotels
Juliaca Hotels
Lima Hotels
Machu Picchu Hotels
Mancora Hotels
Nasca Hotels
Ollantaytambo Hotels
Paracas Hotels
Pisac Hotels
Pisco Hotels
Piura Hotels
Pucallpa Hotels
Puerto Maldonado Hotels
Puno Hotels
Punta Hermosa Hotels
Tarapoto Hotels
Tarma Hotels
Trujillo Hotels
Tumbes Hotels
Urubamba Hotels
Vallecito Hotels
Yanama Hotels
Yucay Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.