Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Why I hate most of Indonesia, I will never go back
salemk
post Sep 5 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #1

Expeditionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 291677
Nominate me as a Local Expert

This is some of the main reasons I will never go back to Indonesia.
1) 99% of indonesians I encountered are out to scam & rip you off. I think I found 2 people that were not trying to take my money in some way.
One scam I came across was being asked to pay extra for bag insurance after I had already paid for my bus ticket. I was stuck knowing it was a scam and not having a choice. If I say no will they make sure my bag disappears? If I pay I'm only reinforcing their continued scamming of tourist, backpackers & visitors.
Bali was the worse. Everyone charging X5 what the price should have been. So if you start the bargaining at 1/2 the asking price they are already ripping you off.
Sunglass are $2
Swimware $2
2 tank SCUBA dives $25
The more I think about Indonesia the more I hate it.
I was on one island, Labuhanbajo where we had people sleeping outside our rooms so they could follow us around all day to sell us anything like, Airplane tickets, Komodo Dragon tours on Rinka, which you don't need because the admission price covers a guide at the park. Buss tickets. Anything, it sucked and we finally had to be rude to them and tell them to get away from us. It ruined that island's appeal for everyone.
2) They will hassle & hassle you until you have to yell no to them.
3) All the taxis will honk at you when driving by to see if you need a taxi. Even if the 3 cars in front of them are taxis and all of them honked at you.
4) Arack, the local rice wine or moonshine will make you crazy. They put all kinds of things in their alcohol that is harmful if digested. Even in the local vodka, gin, rum, etc.
There is more but I'm going to stop as it is already pissing me off.

--------------------
The time has come to make a choice. Either you choose to be at your desk, on time, everyday, or you choose to travel and see the world.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
salemk   Why I hate most of Indonesia   Sep 5 2009, 07:59 PM
wakingdream   I hear you in a way though I think I take all that...   Sep 6 2009, 09:52 AM
sianeth   I hear you in a way though I think I take all tha...   Sep 7 2009, 06:33 AM
ScottWoz   Having just read you're lovely signature (...   Sep 6 2009, 11:44 AM
salemk   Thank you wakingdream, your are very correct. I...   Sep 6 2009, 06:06 PM
travelmonster   This is one of the main reasons I will never go b...   Sep 9 2009, 11:52 AM
salemk   Wow. I'll need to take you through this one st...   Sep 9 2009, 03:33 PM
laorfamily   I take more offence to my bank charging extra do-n...   Sep 9 2009, 03:51 PM
salemk   Thats fine, anyone else can see what I'm talki...   Sep 9 2009, 04:49 PM
jeremystravels   A lot of that, especially what salesmen do to get ...   Sep 9 2009, 08:41 PM
wakingdream   A lot of that, especially what salesmen do to get...   Sep 10 2009, 09:13 AM
littlekate   Dear Bali-Balinese, Please, do not take offence. P...   Sep 10 2009, 07:48 AM
kur4m4   IMHO I think you should both just agree to disagre...   Sep 10 2009, 09:43 AM
introducinlyric   IMHO I think you should both just agree to disagr...   Sep 10 2009, 10:17 AM
wakingdream   I agree. I think it can be good to hear other peop...   Sep 10 2009, 10:51 AM
salemk   Thanks to all for their replies. I am sorry for th...   Sep 10 2009, 12:59 PM
introducinlyric   Normally I would agree with introducinlyric and t...   Sep 10 2009, 09:41 PM
salemk   Thank you Rolling Stone. The title was on the hars...   Sep 11 2009, 05:42 AM
martymellway   99% of indonesians... thats a pretty general state...   Sep 15 2009, 04:17 PM
salemk   99% of indonesians... thats a pretty general stat...   Sep 15 2009, 08:46 PM
wakingdream   I won't argue about anything else b/c frankl...   Sep 15 2009, 09:45 PM
kur4m4   could someone please close this topic now? :) I th...   Sep 16 2009, 04:07 AM
ScottWoz   Good timing, that saves me from breaking my promis...   Sep 16 2009, 05:53 AM

Closed TopicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 12:24 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Indonesia

Amed Hotels
Balikpapan Hotels
Banda Aceh Hotels
Bandung Hotels
Bekasi Hotels
Bogor Hotels
Bukittinggi Hotels
Candidasa Hotels
Canggu Hotels
Cirebon Hotels
Denpasar Hotels
Gianyar Hotels
Jakarta Hotels
Jimbaran Hotels
Karangasem Hotels
Kerobokan Hotels
Kuta Hotels
Legian Hotels
Makassar Hotels
Malang Hotels
Manado Hotels
Mataram Hotels
Medan Hotels
Nusa Dua Hotels
Padang Hotels
Palembang Hotels
Pekanbaru Hotels
Samarinda Hotels
Sanur Hotels
Semarang Hotels
Seminyak Hotels
Singaraja Hotels
Solo Hotels
Surabaya Hotels
Tabanan Hotels
Tuban Hotels
Tulamben Hotels
Ubud Hotels
Uluwatu Hotels
Yogyakarta Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.