Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Japan
itsem
post Oct 4 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #21

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 12332
Nominate me as a Local Expert

In Japan I don't think i had actually met anyone who had taken one of those courses and we all had no trouble finding work. Schools like Berlitz/Nova (the biggies) dont require it and I worked for several small schools who also didnt ask for it. Private students also dont care. Most places are happy as long as you are a native speaker and have had at least 13 (I think its 13, it could be 15) years of schooling.

This is only for Kansai region but these magazines have classifieds which should give you some idea of what schools are looking for:
http://www.kansaiscene.com/classifieds.shtml
http://kto.co.jp/new/modules/catads/
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rich
post Oct 5 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #22

Voyager

Member No.: 8736

QUOTE(itsem @ Oct 4 2006, 12:10 PM) *

In Japan I don't think i had actually met anyone who had taken one of those courses and we all had no trouble finding work. Schools like Berlitz/Nova (the biggies) dont require it and I worked for several small schools who also didnt ask for it. Private students also dont care. Most places are happy as long as you are a native speaker and have had at least 13 (I think its 13, it could be 15) years of schooling.

This is only for Kansai region but these magazines have classifieds which should give you some idea of what schools are looking for:
http://www.kansaiscene.com/classifieds.shtml
http://kto.co.jp/new/modules/catads/

From what I've heard, a Degree is the only thing you need in Japan, hence I've not shelled out on any TEFL course.

The good thing about the WHV is that there are offices in Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya which allow you to view jobs specific to WHV holders - they may well be the S*$# ones though!

One thing I don't want to do on this trip is work long hours...maybe a bit of part time teaching to top up the funds, but I've heard about the typical day at NOVA, doing 8 x 50 minute lessons a day (1pm-9pm) and it doesn't appeal.

Teaching privates may be an option I'll look into...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
itsem
post Oct 5 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #23

Drifter

Yup, Berlitz and Nova do expect long hours. Smaller schools, or working for smaller schools means more flexability. I worked for several schools and then occasionally took on private students (including one little demon from hell aged 4) to supplement. One big tip with private students - make them pay upfront.

The WHV office in Osaka? Jobs out of date, but they do have free papers and friendly staff. Its really incredibly easy to get work in the cities once you get there and start applying.

Im getting jealous and missing my time there, its such a great thing to do!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
ScottWoz
post Oct 6 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #24

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 124

Sounds about right..

QUOTE(rbisset @ Oct 5 2006, 05:39 AM) *

Does anyone recommend doing a TEFL/CELTA course or is it not really necessary?

Check out the beginning of this thread posted a while back. There's a little more info there..

--------------------
Woz..

Living on a string of one-way tickets - currently kicking about in: southern Cambodia
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rich
post Oct 6 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #25

Voyager

itsem...I've looked into it a bit more and it seems you are right (shouldn't have doubted you!) that WHV holders can't get Rail Passes! It's a bit of a setback to say the least. There must be some way around this...afterall I plan to spend the first 3 months travelling anyway, just like someone else would on a Visitor Visa. I never knew that having a WHV would be such a hindrance!

wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rbisset
post Oct 6 2006, 07:55 AM
Post #26

Planet Pioneer

Member No.: 692

I spent about 4 hours reading through peoples opinions of the "eikaiwa" schools in Japan and the more I read the more I was put off. No one seems to have a good thing to say about Nova except using them to get the year work visa and leaving them after a month or so.

As much as I love Japan I can't see myself going there to work. The money is very low for the amount of hours they expect you to do. From what I was reading the legal maximum hours a week is 29.5 but the eikaiwa expect far more.

This is leading me to consider other countries (China, Taiwan, Korea) instead where the wages may be lower but the cost of living is far lower. I mean a beer from the shops in Shanghai is about 15p compared to 1 minimum in the 7 Eleven in Japan.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rich
post Oct 13 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #27

Voyager

Hi all,

Is it possible for me to go to Japan in February, travel around for 2-3 months on a Visitor Visa (and therefore being able to take advantage of the JR Passes), fly to Seoul for a few days, then return to Japan on my Working Holiday Visa?

Does this seem feasible? It's a complex way of doing things, but it would save me a lot of money if it were possible.

Rich crying_anim02.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
itsem
post Oct 13 2006, 01:20 PM
Post #28

Drifter

Hey Rich, The visa is stuck in your passport and its a big one but you could probably say you arent using it this time and get through on a visitor visa and follow through on your plan.

Only problem, which might not be a problem at all, is that the WHV isnt intended to be a work visa and is promoted more as a holiday visa so they might not like that you are holidaying and then returning to work.. think you have to show your flight plan/booked tickets to pick up the visa, and of course you have to apply from home.

Are you an Aussie? I had a few questions before I left and I contacted the Sydney embassy via email and they responded pretty quickly and were helpful.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rich
post Oct 13 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #29

Voyager

QUOTE(itsem @ Oct 13 2006, 07:20 PM) *

Hey Rich, The visa is stuck in your passport and its a big one but you could probably say you arent using it this time and get through on a visitor visa and follow through on your plan.

Only problem, which might not be a problem at all, is that the WHV isnt intended to be a work visa and is promoted more as a holiday visa so they might not like that you are holidaying and then returning to work.. think you have to show your flight plan/booked tickets to pick up the visa, and of course you have to apply from home.

Are you an Aussie? I had a few questions before I left and I contacted the Sydney embassy via email and they responded pretty quickly and were helpful.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My situation is complicated (even further) by the fact that my passport needs renewing before I go in February (I didn't realise this when I applied for the WHV back in May)...

So, I obviously need to look into this, but in theory I could go over to Japan with my brand spanking new passport, travel around for 2-3 months on a Visitor Visa, pop over to somewhere like Seoul for a couple of days, stick (that's right I said 'stick!!') my Working Holiday Visa in my new passport, then return to Japan and settle down.

(deep breath)

To be honest I regret getting the WHV now as it would have been easier to just go over on a Visitor Visa for 3 months, but at the time I was planning to stay in Japan for a year (still might) and I wasn't aware of this JR pass restriction. Also I'm 25 and I think the WHV is only available to 18-25 year olds anyway, so I thought 'it's now or never.'

Apologies for the rambling post...any thoughts?

Rich

p.s. I'm English.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
itsem
post Oct 13 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #30

Drifter

Is the JR Pass the main reason you are thinking of weird journeys and odd pastings of visas into a new passport (you know you have to have your old passport cut before getting a new one right?) If so there are other ways to save a bit of cash.. Night buses - hideous but cheap, done it many times. Not admitting to anything but generally rail staff dont say anything if the child light beeps at a train station.. Ive seen friends pull off the old "Im foreign and didnt understand what button i pressed nor what you are saying" routine.

You can also travel far cheaper if you use normal train routes rather than Shinkansen, longer but hey when on holidays a longer journey is sometimes better. I travelled for most of a day from Osaka to Hiroshima on normal train lines, lots of changes but money saved.

Once you start earning Yen you are earning a decent amount within Japan and travel costs arent that bad.

And there are also overnight ferries which are cheaper than the Shinkansen as well.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rich
post Oct 13 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #31

Voyager

QUOTE(itsem @ Oct 13 2006, 10:30 PM) *

Is the JR Pass the main reason you are thinking of weird journeys and odd pastings of visas into a new passport (you know you have to have your old passport cut before getting a new one right?)

yes.gif

Yeah I'm speaking a little hypothetically. I think realistically I'll go ahead and use the WHV and forget about the JR passes. Afterall, I have plenty of time and don't plan on rushing from place to place, so I wouldn't get the maximum out of the passes anyway.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! jump.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 17 2006, 07:58 AM
Post #32

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

Just wondering; are there women who practice the true art of Geisha in Japan, or are they "Geisha" mainly for tourist purposes? I know it has been a dying breed. Just wondering if it's pretty much dead?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Oct 17 2006, 11:57 AM
Post #33

Tourist

Member No.: 232

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Oct 17 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Just wondering; are there women who practice the true art of Geisha in Japan, or are they "Geisha" mainly for tourist purposes? I know it has been a dying breed. Just wondering if it's pretty much dead?

Yes, there are still Geishas and Maikos, but they are few and far between (only a few thousand in the whole of Japan perhaps). The "Geishas" you see around the temples in Kyoto are almost definitely just people dressing up for the tourists.

cheerio
steve

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Oct 17 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #34

Rolling Stone

Member No.: 13336

QUOTE(stevejames @ Oct 17 2006, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(wakingdream @ Oct 17 2006, 07:58 AM) *

Yes, there are still Geishas and Maikos, but they are few and far between (only a few thousand in the whole of Japan perhaps). The "Geishas" you see around the temples in Kyoto are almost definitely just people dressing up for the tourists.

cheerio
steve

Steve, are they still rather celebrated by the Japanese, or does no one really give a hoot anymore?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Jun 9 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #35

Unregistered

QUOTE(rich @ Oct 14 2006, 05:53 AM) *

QUOTE(itsem @ Oct 13 2006, 07:20 PM) *

Hi, thanks for the reply.

My situation is complicated (even further) by the fact that my passport needs renewing before I go in February (I didn't realise this when I applied for the WHV back in May)...

So, I obviously need to look into this, but in theory I could go over to Japan with my brand spanking new passport, travel around for 2-3 months on a Visitor Visa, pop over to somewhere like Seoul for a couple of days, stick (that's right I said 'stick!!') my Working Holiday Visa in my new passport, then return to Japan and settle down.

(deep breath)

To be honest I regret getting the WHV now as it would have been easier to just go over on a Visitor Visa for 3 months, but at the time I was planning to stay in Japan for a year (still might) and I wasn't aware of this JR pass restriction. Also I'm 25 and I think the WHV is only available to 18-25 year olds anyway, so I thought 'it's now or never.'

Apologies for the rambling post...any thoughts?

Rich

p.s. I'm English.

Hi Rich, have you taken the trip to Seoul yet, or are you still looking into it? I have been living in Japan for 2 and a half years now on tourist visas, believe it or not! Anyway, when I have done visa runs I get another visa for 90 days, so when this is abvout to be up I have to leave, but the old visa gets a cancelled stamp, so you need to be careful as when you come back you may just get a tourist visa and have to re-apply at the visa office for your Working Holiday Visa! How did you get a WHV by the way, just out of interest was it easy? Oh and to renew your passport, this can be done in Tokyo at the British Embassy, its not that expensive, well not more than at home, but you should look into renewing it before you leave, as some places have laws that you need to hace 6 months or more on your passport before you enter! I did this when I went to Bahrain, but they didn't notice, luckily enough, but I wouldn't take the chance again! Any further help you need, just ask and I will see what I can find out for you! Also, teaching jobs and bar work are very popular for "Ganji" in Japan, but you will get taxed 20% of your salary!
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Jun 9 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #36

Unregistered

Oh and one more thing, the NOVA offices here in Aomori have closed down, and the people who used to work for them have been waiting a long time for money owed to them in salaries, I would steer clear!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 11:06 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.