Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Swaziland?
kevandsian
post Sep 28 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #1

Voyager

Group: Members
Member No.: 241
Nominate me as a Local Expert

We'll be spending a short time in Swaziland later this year as part of our honeymoon. Just wondering from anyone who's been there, what are the best things to see and do, any tips? We'll be driving through and have heard good things about Mkhaya and Miliwane Game Reserves anyone been to either of these?

Any suggestions welcome.

Sian
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
siscri
post Sep 28 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Commuter

Member No.: 5389

My ex-girlfriend is currently traveling Africa as part of a backpacker overland thing and managed to spend a short time in Swaziland. She writes about it on Pod here.

Give her an email if you want to know anything more or I can ask her anything next time I'm in touch.

She really enjoyed it anyway, but that could be because she's no longer traveling with me.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Sep 28 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Hey!

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Have read her pod and am more envious than ever that it's not me travelling through Africa, I miss it! Will probably drop her an email soon, sounds like she had a great time, hope to go to Miliwane too.

Sian
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Nov 6 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #4

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(spock @ Nov 6 2006, 10:35 AM) *

There's an annual dance in Swaziland when all virgins present themselves before the king and he takes his pick.But only one per year !

Does he trade in last years model or just accumulate them?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dcm
post Nov 17 2006, 05:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24732

QUOTE(kevandsian @ Sep 28 2006, 12:45 PM) *

We'll be spending a short time in Swaziland later this year as part of our honeymoon. Just wondering from anyone who's been there, what are the best things to see and do, any tips? We'll be driving through and have heard good things about Mkhaya and Miliwane Game Reserves anyone been to either of these?

Any suggestions welcome.

Sian

Hi Sian

I travelled through Swaziland last January and it was awesome. We were in a rush (seven of us in a huge F*#$-off Forward Control Landrover) travelling into Mozambique for 2 weeks and then back to Cape Town through Swaziland). We freecamped everywhere and found everyone to be extremely friendly - without expecting anything in return. There was no bribary and corruption, and the game parks are amazing (and cheap). We drove through some state parks - there are no fences and the wild animals just roam about - excellent photo ops!

How will you be travelling? What route? How much time do you have?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Dec 6 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #6

Voyager

Hi, sorry for the big delay in replying, last minute wedding panic has taken over! Anyway, many thanks for your comments on Swaziland, good to hear its quite relaxed - it sounds amazing. We havent decided on a route yet but we'll only be there for a few days, self driving in our hire car. Which parks would you recommend?

SianMy Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manik23
post Dec 28 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 31371

QUOTE(kevandsian @ Sep 28 2006, 12:45 PM) *

Any suggestions welcome.

Sian

Hi there I must say that it has been sometime since i was last in Swaziland 1974-1979 but from what I remember it was awsome although be prepared for the awfull state of affairs as far as aids is concerned lots of orphaned kids begging but this I am afraid is a standard for a lot of Africa...All I can say is go be open enjoy and safe travel.The game reserve was as i remember fun and exciting we had encounters with an enraged Elephant which scared the S*$# out of me but a memory I will always cherish.....
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Jan 24 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #8

Voyager

Just thought I'd update this now that we've returned from our honeymoon. Swaziland was great, we were only there for a couple of days but found it really laid back with wonderfully friendly people. For anyone else who's thinking of visiting then I'd recommend Phophonyane Nature Reserve near Piggs Peak. Phophonyane Great walks, beautiful landscape and worth exploring over a couple of days. We stayed in a traditional beehive hut which was fun.

Although we didn't stay there, I also heard that Sobantu Guest Farm Sobantu is a good place to stay, enjoy a bit of rural Swaziland and get involved with the local community if you want.

Anyone interested in volunteering could try All Out Projects which offers a wide range of projects in South Africa, Mozambique and Swaziland. All Out Projects.

Another good place to visit near Mbabane is Ngwenya Glass, interesting place selling products from recycled glass.

We didn't bother with the game parks in Swaziland simply because we spent a long time in several parks in South Africa and preferred to see what else Swaziland had to offer - it didn't disappoint.

Sian
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Jan 24 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #9

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Thank you for all the tips! Great to hear you had a good time smile.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Jan 25 2007, 09:14 AM
Post #10

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Just thought I'd update this now that we've returned from our honeymoon. Swaziland was great, we were only there for a couple of days but found it really laid back with wonderfully friendly people.

Congratulations! Many happy returns guys.
I was checking out the site you provided for volunteering and it looks really good. Infact, I've been thinking of Mozambique for such a thing.
Thanks. Alot of good info there. smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 05:30 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.