Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My stay In Rome, what to do in Rome
mariasanta43
post Sep 4 2009, 03:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 320551
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello everyone

I just booked a flat for a week to Rome with with http://www.lodjee.com/rome
I just don't know the city at all ! the people working on the Lodjee website gave me some good tips about the attractions but I will also like to hear from you and what you loved about the city
Restaurants, bars, walks ??
Any tips is more than welcome
Cheers smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 4 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hi there,

Take a look through some of the Rome travelogues for some ideas on what to do and see smile.gif

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
suz123nj
post Sep 4 2009, 12:07 PM
Post #3

Wayfarer

Member No.: 280549

When are are going? What are you interested in? Where is the flat? There are great walks that can aquaint you with the city. 2 favorite restaurants: Armando al Pantheon on small street to the left facing away from the Pantheon and Osteria del Sostegno in an alley off Via della Colonelle.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
suz123nj
post Sep 4 2009, 12:18 PM
Post #4

Wayfarer

Member No.: 280549

Here is a great site for restaurants in Rome

http://www.restaurantsomh.com/rome.htm
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
huckabmm
post Nov 4 2009, 12:00 PM
Post #5

Pathfinder

Member No.: 264395

You have to get gelato at The Old Bridge!!! It is by far the cheapest and best place in Rome that I have found and it's proximity to the Vatican make it a great stop after seeing the museum or cathedral. I have had 4 separate people recommend it to me and they were right! You know a place is good if the nuns and ambulance drivers stop to eat there!

There are so many great places to see and eat...what do you like? Have you thought about a day trip to Pompeii?

--------------------
-Matt

"Be a traveler, not a tourist."
"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Give Life

My upcoming trips:
1. A week at the Outer Banks, NC; June '10
2. Somewhere in South America, Early 2011
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
huckabmm
post Nov 6 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 264395

Oh I almost forgot, if you're interested in seeing some Vatican catacombs you should try to book the Scavi Tour, but it books up fast so do it soon!

--------------------
-Matt

"Be a traveler, not a tourist."
"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Give Life

My upcoming trips:
1. A week at the Outer Banks, NC; June '10
2. Somewhere in South America, Early 2011
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rinr
post Nov 19 2010, 05:29 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 312361
Nominate me as a Local Expert

mariasanta43, lots of great advice so far. With seven days in Rome, you'll have the opportunity to see many sites! But to see ALL of Rome, you’ll have to come back – repeatedly! I've lived in Rome for three years and I still have a list of more than 100 "sites" I want to see. So my advice would be - slow down - see what you see - and immerse yourself! Don't run from spot to spot, checking off this or that. To fully enjoy Italy, you "experience" it, not just see it!

The HOHO buses might be a good way to acclimate yourself to the city. I've been on almost all of them (Why??? 'cause I have friends who come to see Rome and they want to ride them, and I'm a glutton for punishment!). Your experience on the HOHO buses will probably be most determined by the weather, how crowded the bus is, and if YOUR headphone jack works! For more info on the HOHO's, click here!

With seven days, you probably could get the full usage of a Roma Pass, but depending on where your apartment is, the bus and metro systems can be quite helpful. There are also other discount passes available that run longer than the 3-day Roma Pass. The center of town is quite focused, but Rome is a sprawling city. You can buy daily bus passes for €4 and one-time usage tickets (good for 75 minutes) for €1. For info on the buses system, metro system, tickets for the metro or bus, and kiosks for tickets, click on the highlighted links.

The first step for many international travelers is arriving in Rome at Leonardo da Vinci Airport. Then you face the challenge of Getting to Rome from the Airport. A few options are detailed in the links. Rome is not as easy to get to as Madrid, Copenhagen, or Athens. And you have to be careful, especially if you’re taking a taxi! The FCO train station is quite convenient if you’re coming into town on the rails, or you could opt for the SITBus shuttle.

There is so much to see in Rome your days will fly by. Make sure you set some time aside for just relaxing at a Roman café or restaurant, having an expresso, and of course, Gelato! Just sitting at an outdoor café in a small piazza will make your trip! I’ve eaten at Old Bridge often, as I lived around the corner, but if you walk a little further down Via Gracchi (as seen in the Gelato link) you’ll find some gelato artisians at work!

You probably have time… and my wife always seems to make time…. for shopping. And Rome has an incredible variety of shopping experiences. From the bancarelle, Porta Portesa, the markets, and the little shops in alleys all over the city, to the BIG, famous shopping streets like Via Cola di Rienzo and of course, Rome’s version of Rodeo Drive -----> Via dei Condotti! Like many Italians wee window shop a lot – especially on Condotti or the Via del Corso, but most of my wife’s great find have been off on a small side-street. The BIG sales are in January/early February and July/early August. While Milan may be the “fashion” capitol, all the designers seem to end up in Rome. My wife is an expert on what to wear in Rome!

With your seven days on Rome, you probably would have time to get out to a few, selected, unique spots like the Appian Way, Aventine Hill, the Catacombs of Rome, Ostia Antica, Tivoli, or the Aqueduct Park. Some of these take a full day (or half-day) so you’ll have to be selective. If you can squeeze it in, I’d certainly try and get to the Galleria Borghese. This is a great museum to see – and they limit you to only 2 hours. If you plan on going, call for reservations, and this link may help you get there on public transportation. You’ll see Bernini all over town, but for his best works, you have to go to the Borghese!

The Vatican is incredible. I’ve probably been in the Museums more than 150 times – and always seem to see something new. Go to Tips on the Vatican for some helpful suggestions.

Getting around, I’d probably use public transportation. We drive everyday in Rome on a motorino and it is not for the faint-at-heart; or frankly for folks unfamiliar with the city. I’ve had three “incidente” and my wife’s been knocked off the bike twice! To give you an idea of how bad folks drive here, there’s a couple of videos on this link about driving in Rome that will convince you to – GET ON THE TRAIN!! If you are a USA resident and still want to drive a car during your visit – God help you – than do make sure you get an IDP; it’s the law in Italy for US drivers.

Not sure if you’re planning to head to other parts of Italy, but certainly Florence is close by – and incredible. The fast train to Florence from Roma Termini only takes about an hour and twenty minutes. It’s quite comfortable and easy to use. Trains are easy. Here’s a few links that can help you in your train adventure: Riding Trains in Italy, Types of train tickets, and Buying a Train Ticket. As you are going to Florence, make sure you buy a ticket to the Santa Maria Novella station in Florence, or SMN. There are multiple stations in Florence – as there are in Rome – and you want to end up downtown at this station!

I realize that’s a ton of info, and it may appear overwhelming. But remember, you’ll go back. Everyone does! That’s how we ended up moving to Italy. You’ll have a wonderful time - and experience Italy, don’t just see it!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:47 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.