Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vietnam HELP, Vietnam
troymain
post May 4 2013, 03:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3806933
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Heya Guys,
Just got a few questions. My girlfriend and I are heading to Vietnam for the first time in Mid July. We are there are 14days and plan to make our way from Ho Chi Minh to the Hanio.

We dont want to take any internal flights flights as we would rather drive/bus/ride.

Is it possible to hire motorbikes along the way and do it ourselves?

We both love the ocean so if anybody had some great beach spots along the way it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks heaps for your time.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
icommeindochine
post May 5 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3809693

QUOTE(troymain @ May 4 2013, 03:44 AM) *

Heya Guys,
Just got a few questions. My girlfriend and I are heading to Vietnam for the first time in Mid July. We are there are 14days and plan to make our way from Ho Chi Minh to the Hanio.

We dont want to take any internal flights flights as we would rather drive/bus/ride.

We both love the ocean so if anybody had some great beach spots along the way it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,
Yes, its possible to do your trip by Bus / Train ... but if you rent a motobike, you can ride to another town/city... because they take your passport like a warranty.. or maybe you have to deposite some money for that...

My advice, the highway is too dangerous... better take train or safe Bus to go.

If you need more information, i know a girl she can help you more, just email her : Ms Han : vietfieldtravel@gmail.com

Or maybe contact Phuot (they travel by motobike...) but i never contact them because the trafic in vietnam too dangerous.

Hope my information are helpfull.
have a nice trip speak_cool.gif

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jessica_tran
post May 9 2013, 10:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3823093

Heya Guys,

Hi Guy,

Great choice of Vietnam to visit man!

As I know you are really love to travel by bike so my suggestion for you:
From HCM (south), to Da Nang (Middle) to Hanoi (North) you can hire a motobike or asking the travel agent to arrange a bike tour for you.
Of course it's far,hard and dangerous for you to transfer from 3 above places by bike. You should use the train or a safe bus.

For mo details, please dont hesitate to contact me for advice!

Welcome to beautiful Vietnam and enjoy your trip angel1.gif

Cheers up!

Jessica
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dannydelnison
post Jun 11 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3838253

You can go by train from Hanoi to Hochiminh and reverse. Only 36hrs with each trip and you can see some beatyful attractions through the window.
About beach you can go to Nhatrang (near Hochiminh) or Halong (near Hanoi) there're the beautyful beaches in Vietnam.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troymain
post Jun 12 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(jessica_tran @ May 9 2013, 10:18 PM) *

Heya Guys,

Hi Guy,

From HCM (south), to Da Nang (Middle) to Hanoi (North) you can hire a motobike or asking the travel agent to arrange a bike tour for you.
Of course it's far,hard and dangerous for you to transfer from 3 above places by bike. You should use the train or a safe bus.

Cheers up!

Jessica

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troymain
post Jun 12 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(icommeindochine @ May 5 2013, 01:25 PM) *

Heya Guys,

Hello,
Yes, its possible to do your trip by Bus / Train ... but if you rent a motobike, you can ride to another town/city... because they take your passport like a warranty.. or maybe you have to deposite some money for that...

My advice, the highway is too dangerous... better take train or safe Bus to go.

If you need more information, i know a girl she can help you more, just email her : Ms Han : vietfieldtravel@gmail.com

Or maybe contact Phuot (they travel by motobike...) but i never contact them because the trafic in vietnam too dangerous.

Hope my information are helpfull.
have a nice trip speak_cool.gif

Hey mate!!
Thanks heaps for the help! As this is our firat time we dont really know what to expect. We have both spent a lot of time in Indonesia and Europe and have drove cars and bikes there fine though from the sounds of it, it may be a lot harder to do this in Vietnam.
Cheers:)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troymain
post Jun 12 2013, 12:30 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(troymain @ Jun 12 2013, 12:22 AM) *

Heya Guys,

Hi Guy,

Cheers up!

Jessica

Hey Jessica,
Thanks heaps for your help!
Have you hired bikes in Vietnam before? Is there any company that allows you to say pick up bikes in HCM city (for example) and drop them off at another destination?
We just figured that it would be a really cool way to see Vietnam rather then being sick on a flight or bus.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tuntravel48
post Jun 13 2013, 02:17 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3878123

QUOTE(troymain @ Jun 12 2013, 12:30 AM) *

QUOTE(troymain @ Jun 12 2013, 12:22 AM) *

Heya Guys,

Hi Guy,

Cheers up!

Jessica

Hey Jessica,
Thanks heaps for your help!
Have you hired bikes in Vietnam before? Is there any company that allows you to say pick up bikes in HCM city (for example) and drop them off at another destination?
We just figured that it would be a really cool way to see Vietnam rather then being sick on a flight or bus.

Hi,
Between hanoi, Ho chi minh and Da Nang you have to use train, flight or bus. Vietnam is a long country. It's dangerous to move along this country by motobike, And it seems no travelers has do that. But from each place you can use the service call easy riders. the motobike drivers will take you anywhere you want to go. Cycling is also an other option
in Hochiminh: Cycling a long Mekong delta
in Hoi An, Da Nang: Cycling to visit traditional herbs village
In Ha Noi: cycling to Ninh Binh (the country side).
If you need any information please send the emails to tours@tuntravel.com for support!

Cheers
Tuntravel
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
fareastvacation
post Jun 16 2013, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3949763

I vote for this kind of travel! U should take a bus or train to go to each destinations then rent motobikes there

Have fun!
Far East Vacation
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
anukanda
post Sep 1 2013, 03:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4214453

Hi.

Yes traveling in Europe or Indonesia by car is possible. In Vietnam too (even if some people mentioned above that "no traveler has done that"). But it is hard, long and dangerous.

FIrst of all, to drive a motorbike in Vietnam, officially, you are supposed to have a Vietnamese driving licence. That is the law. However, I live there and just like thousands of foreigners, I drive my own motorcycle here for about 7 years with no licence (I have 1 now!) with no problems.

The difficulty will be to find a company for you to rent the bikes in one spot and hand them back at another location. This will be very difficult to organise. I would suggest that you travel from one place to another by train or bus and from there, rent a bike for local visits.
If you really intent to crass Vietnam from North to South by bike, on your own, then it is possible to buy a bike in Saigon and sell it back in Hanoi.

But to my point of view, except if you absolutely want to do it by bike, I would suggest to travel overland by train and bus and organize small excursions by bike in the Mekong delta, in central highlands, along the coastline, in Hoi an or in the northern highlands (Sapa, Bac Ha, Ha Giang...e tc...).

DO not hesitate to contact me if you want more details. I know this country pretty well now.
Bye.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 08:22 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Vietnam

Ben Tre Hotels
Bien Hoa Hotels
Buon Ma Thuot Hotels
Can Tho Hotels
Cao Lahn Hotels
Cat Ba Hotels
Chau Doc Hotels
Da Nang Hotels
Dalat Hotels
Dien Bien Phu Hotels
Dong Ha Hotels
Dong Hoi Hotels
Ha Tien Hotels
Haiphong Hotels
Halong Bay Hotels
Hanoi Hotels
Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
Hoi An Hotels
Hue Hotels
Khanh Hai Hotels
Kontum Hotels
Lai Chau Hotels
Lao Cai Hotels
Long Hai Hotels
Mui Ne Hotels
My Tho Hotels
Nha Trang Hotels
Ninh Binh Hotels
Ninh Phuoc Hotels
Phan Rang-Thap Cham Hotels
Phan Thiet Hotels
Quang Ngai Hotels
Quy Nhon Hotels
Rach Gia Hotels
Sapa Hotels
Soc Trang Hotels
Tuyen Quang Hotels
Vinh Long Hotels
Vung Tau Hotels
Yen Bai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.