Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CYCLING QUESTIONS RE VIETNAM
belkinhouse
post Sep 1 2009, 05:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 300981
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Early in Feb./10 I plan to leave for 3 weeks in VIETNAM. I'm travelling solo. As a part of the trip I intend to do a fair bit of cycling (not motorcycling). I plan to do this in and around Hanoi, HCMC and Hoi An. Although this is my first trip to Nam, I have travelled to Malaysia and Thailand previously so I'm aware of the 'hairy' traffic conditions in Asia. My questions with regards to cycling in Nam are;
1. What is the quality of bike rentals in the a/m three cities? If you check out a few shops are you likely to find some rentals that are fairly decent?
2. Is it usual that the rental shop would provide a bike lock or would it be better that I took my own?
3. Would it be a good idea to take my own helmet?
4. Has anyone had experience with renting a bike and hiring an interpreter biking companion who may have some guide experience?

If you have any further suggestions or input I would be most appreciative of receiving it.
Thanks,
Warren
North Vancouver, BC Canada
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 2 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Lots of questions!

I bet you could find your answer with a quick TP search: http://www.travelpod.com/s/bike+rental+vietnam?st=user

Peruse some of the blogs and see what you can find.

Here are my opinions from my experience (I've never been to Vietnam but I'll try)

1. You should probably find something decent
2. I have rented a bike in Europe, and they give you a lock with your bike rental
3. Yes, bring your own helmet, I'm pretty sure they won't rent you those, people in SE Asia usually don't even wear helmets on motorcycles!
4. Nope, again, check the blogs and see what you find!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 4 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #3

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

I'd just keep searching online and in the blogs until you find what you want specifically. I found this in another cycling forum. Just FYI;

for future reference, you can rent bikes there and all over asia. I rented 250 trail bikes all through that area of the world. its a lot of fun, the cops in vietnam are a little more real than elsewhere(laos, cambodia) where they will pull you over to extract cash. the advice i got in both those countries from locals was dont stop. so i didnt, and i saw guns being pulled off shoulders but that was it. In all these places the roads and people/vehicles driving on them are in various states of disrepair. just stay alert and be ready to make emergency action and you will be fine.

If you really want a good bike you could also try contacting one of the cycling tour agencies and see if they'll rent you something good. Exhaust all options! Having a crappy bike on a cycling trip would STINK!

I'd also recommend taking your own lock (b/c really, it's not much to take for alot of peace of mind) and a helmet too although I'm sure you can get one there so maybe it would be a waste of space but save you a little cash.

4. Has anyone had experience with renting a bike and hiring an interpreter biking companion who may have some guide experience?

That should be fairly easy to do.

Here's a cool link for you; South East Cycle-Vietnam

The prices of cycling tours through tour companies is outrageous!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
pmaustin
post Sep 23 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 289357
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Oh dear
no advice from me but i hope you can advise me. My husband and I plan to do the same, well almost, we would like to travel the east coast by bike. we are old so have loads of time LOL probably about 7 weeks to do the coast hopefully staying overnight at villages.
This is just to say please keep a detailed blog as we will be watching you.
have a great time and pass on any usefull knowledge that you aquire along the way.
p and r
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 03:14 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Vietnam

Ben Tre Hotels
Buon Ma Thuot Hotels
Can Tho Hotels
Cao Lahn Hotels
Cat Ba Hotels
Chau Doc Hotels
Da Nang Hotels
Dalat Hotels
Dien Bien Phu Hotels
Dong Ha Hotels
Dong Hoi Hotels
Ha Tien Hotels
Haiphong Hotels
Halong Bay Hotels
Hanoi Hotels
Ho Chi Minh City Hotels
Hoi An Hotels
Hue Hotels
Khanh Hai Hotels
Kontum Hotels
Lai Chau Hotels
Lao Cai Hotels
Long Hai Hotels
Mong Cai Hotels
Mui Ne Hotels
My Tho Hotels
Nha Trang Hotels
Ninh Binh Hotels
Ninh Phuoc Hotels
Phan Rang-Thap Cham Hotels
Phan Thiet Hotels
Quang Ngai Hotels
Quy Nhon Hotels
Rach Gia Hotels
Sapa Hotels
Soc Trang Hotels
Tuyen Quang Hotels
Vinh Long Hotels
Vung Tau Hotels
Yen Bai Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.