Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recommendations for Chiang Mai and surrounds?
stevejames
post Sep 6 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #1

Tourist

Group: Members
Member No.: 232

Wotcha all,

After six months of nose-to-grindstone work I finally have two and a half weeks of blissful holiday cheer.png cheer.png cheer.png

All I have booked is a flight to Bangkok. I was thinking of getting an Air Asia flight to Chiang Mai and exploring the surrounds. Can anyone recommend any sights/activities? I've heard Doi Suthep is worth a look. Last time I was in Chiang Mai it was Songkran, and all I did for five days was have water fights, so looking forward to some recommendations tongue.gif Is Chiang Rai worth a visit as well?

cheers
steve

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
whereshegoes
post Sep 8 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #2

Journeyer

Member No.: 5

Hey Congrats Steve! Sounds like fun smile.gif Can't say where is great because I haven't been but look forward to reading all about it in your blog.

Other Podders? Advice?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Sep 11 2006, 03:37 AM
Post #3

Pathfinder

Member No.: 581

If you want a glimpse of Burma, you can take a bus to Mae Sai via Chiang Rai, Cross into Tachileik, and head by road to Kengtung, where the treks seem good and quite remote fom tourists. I have not been, as I thought it would be another border town, but I was told a few days ago it was well worth going there.
Normally you can get a visa for a few days.

--------------------
A day back around the world

« Sans curiosité on meurt et sans courage on ne vit pas. »
[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
stevejames
post Sep 11 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #4

Tourist

Member No.: 232

QUOTE(peacefrog @ Sep 11 2006, 03:37 AM) *

If you want a glimpse of Burma, you can take a bus to Mae Sai via Chiang Rai, Cross into Tachileik, and head by road to Kengtung, where the treks seem good and quite remote fom tourists.

Sounds good, but it's not for me. I had looked into spending time in Burma, but decided against it for moral reasons... I don't want to support that Government in any way...

--------------------
steve
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Sep 11 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Pathfinder

QUOTE(stevejames @ Sep 11 2006, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(peacefrog @ Sep 11 2006, 03:37 AM) *

If you want a glimpse of Burma, you can take a bus to Mae Sai via Chiang Rai, Cross into Tachileik, and head by road to Kengtung, where the treks seem good and quite remote fom tourists.

Sounds good, but it's not for me. I had looked into spending time in Burma, but decided against it for moral reasons... I don't want to support that Government in any way...

Hi steve,

I thought like you after having read too much of the LP (which is really crap for Myanmar) and all the good-thinking from european politicians.
Actually all the people I met here and whom I managed to have a private discussion with are asking for visitors to come and visit them, so as to push towards a smooth change. Of course those of opposite opinion would maybe not speak to me...
The intransigeant position of the "lady" is certainly very inspirational to our western minds, but in the local's very buddhist point of view, they will do nothing that can be associated with the verb "to oppose". They just know that in this life or another, it will get better, and they feel that more foreigners coming in pushes things the right way. Now that is only my own little glimpse of the country.

Economically speaking then, tourism from us westerners is peanuts. Myanmar trades freely with thailand and China, loads of tourists come from these countries, hundreds of million dollars are generated with natural gas sales, and they are producing xx% of world heroine and methamphetamine (although the governement does not seem to control the production areas, they certainly get their share for letting local "ethnic" warlords do their business with chinese mafia).

Be sure to get there as soon as you can afford, as the word "kind" is the most appropriate for the Burmese People.

And... Enjoy your vacation!

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
thellie
post Sep 11 2006, 08:18 AM
Post #6

Pathfinder

Member No.: 13877

that's interesting, peacefrog. like steve, i'm against supporting the incumbent govt in any way, but we don't always get the full picture, or local feeling, in the west. i'm hoping to spend a fair bit of time in chiang mai when i go to thailand, so would be interested in visiting myanmar if my ethical standpoint can be altered...
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Sep 11 2006, 08:32 AM
Post #7

Pathfinder

QUOTE(thellie @ Sep 11 2006, 03:18 PM) *

that's interesting, peacefrog. like steve, i'm against supporting the incumbent govt in any way, but we don't always get the full picture, or local feeling, in the west. i'm hoping to spend a fair bit of time in chiang mai when i go to thailand, so would be interested in visiting myanmar if my ethical standpoint can be altered...

If you do visit, be sure to get away from the touts and those who only see you as a walking wallet... all the others are wonderfull.

Once I complete my entries about my discussions with the Burmese, I will let you know. I decided not to do so while I am there, and instead to make a summary in the end, in case the burmese big brother is watching (which could be a problem for my local interlocutors).

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
peacefrog
post Sep 24 2006, 03:23 AM
Post #8

Pathfinder

Thellie, Steve,

I wrote about that. Very subjective, very incomplete, but I hope it can be part of your information sources for deciding whether to go or not to go.
2 entries:
To Go or not To Go - Burmese Ways

I am not posting here because I don't want to start this topic as I don't have time to do proper research. But you admins/mods could maybe set up a vote? Here is a proposition:

- Been there and recommend going
- Been there and recommend NOT going, for ethical reasons
- Been there and recommend NOT going, for other reasons
- Not Been there and won't under the current regime
- Could go there if persuaded that it ethically acceptable
- Can't wait to get there!
- Just not interested in Myanmar

Those who have been, please post links to your travelogues.

Adrien

--------------------

[ Hugo Pratt ]
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 25 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 13336

Hey Steve! I have been to Chiang Mai number times and still hoping to go back again and again. I would love to check it out during Songkran, it's meant to be a really good time! There are some cool things to do. Doi Suthep is absolutely breathtaking. The view of the city is magnificent from up there, if the smog isn't too bad! I like to go in the evening at sunset. I usually rent a bike and drive up and back down. It's about 12 kms. It can get really cold, so take a sweater or jacket. There a ton of other wats to see (obviously being Thailand!) but you can get to see the ones of most significance if you just hire a tuk tuk driver to take you. It's not much $$ at all and a really nice way to spend an afternoon. There are some really nice wats, and I have had some really wicked experiences with meeting different kinds of people in a very laid back setting. Not too crowded. Usually the monks are around to chat one on one if your interested about the history and such, or whatever. Also, the night market is a great place. I have a bit of an obsession and usually post a box home. You can have a really good time w/out buying a thing for sure. I have taken two cooking classes, both with a lovely Aussie/Thai couple. It's good fun if you into cooking. You can go north and see the Golden Triangle area too. I've only been up there once. Elephant treks are huge up there, often camping over a night or two but many of them are shady in the treatment of the elephants. I've not been so have no advice about what's good. Oh, the Texas Bar is a really good place to have some drinks at too! Good pub food if you want to pass up the Thai for a night, and the owner is actually a really nice American, from...Texas! Go figure! I've had many wild nights here. He usually closes up the bar with whoever's left and and let's 'er rip! There is definitely no rift between the American and the Canadian here!Also, I stayed in the same guesthouse 5 years over, clean with a big variety of rooms to choose from usually with a pretty good social scene going on, so if you want any details, I'll be glad to pass along any info that might help. Have a great time! Um, I'm not sure if you're already there or not! Sorry! If you are, I'm jealous! Congratulations on your holiday tho!

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Sep 28 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #10

Voyager

Member No.: 241

Hi Steve,

As you say Doi Suthep is worth a visit, I also really enjoyed the small village of Mae Salong, amazingly we didn't see any other tourists whilst we were in town and the market was fantastic as long as you don't get tired of tasting tea, the villagers insist you try every variety!

Sian
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 28 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kevandsian @ Sep 28 2006, 01:53 PM) *

Hi Steve,

As you say Doi Suthep is worth a visit, I also really enjoyed the small village of Mae Salong, amazingly we didn't see any other tourists whilst we were in town and the market was fantastic as long as you don't get tired of tasting tea, the villagers insist you try every variety!

Sian

Hey Sian, I almost forgot about Mae Salong! That's what being trapped at a desk will do to you! The market really IS great! Was there in 2000 and I saw one other couple. I wonder how it is now?

--------------------
~Susie

'Yesterday's the past and tomorrow's the future. Today is a gift - which is why they call it the present.'
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kevandsian
post Sep 28 2006, 01:19 PM
Post #12

Voyager

Member No.: 241

Hi Wakingdream,

Was last there in 2004, seemed like the place hadn't changed for decades!

Sian
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
wakingdream
post Sep 28 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(kevandsian @ Sep 28 2006, 02:19 PM) *

Hi Wakingdream,

Was last there in 2004, seemed like the place hadn't changed for decades!

Sian

Wow, that's amazing that it hasn't changed much! Definitely good tea from the plantation.There are so many places I have been back to that have changed loads! I want to go back! It was so lovely there.

--------------------
~Susie

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
irax
post Sep 29 2006, 08:39 AM
Post #14

Wayfarer

Member No.: 274

Get the train up to Chiang Mai, it's a great way to travel in Thailand. Visit Doi Suthep for sure and then get yourself up to Pai. Very beautiful and a great time can be had there.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 09:34 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Thailand

Ayutthaya Hotels
Bangkok Hotels
Cha-am Hotels
Chaweng Hotels
Chiang Mai Hotels
Chiang Rai Hotels
Chon Buri Hotels
Hat Yai Hotels
Hua Hin Hotels
Kanchanaburi Hotels
Kathu Hotels
Khao Lak Hotels
Khon Kaen Hotels
Ko Lanta Hotels
Ko Phangan Hotels
Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
Ko Tao Hotels
Krabi Hotels
Lampang Hotels
Loei Hotels
Mae Hong Son Hotels
Nakorn Ratchasima Hotels
Nakorn Si Thammarat Hotels
Narathiwat Hotels
Nonthaburi Hotels
Pai Hotels
Patong Hotels
Pattaya Hotels
Phangnga Hotels
Phetchaburi Hotels
Phitsanulok Hotels
Rawai Hotels
Rayong Hotels
Songkhla Hotels
Sukhothai Hotels
Surat Thani Hotels
Tak Hotels
Trang Hotels
Trat Hotels
Udon Thani Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.