Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Poland
will
post Sep 5 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Expeditionist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 952

I'm flying to Poland in 5 days. Awesome! I'll be there for 8 months, working in a language school, travelling heaps during my holidays and making the most of the winter by getting back onto a snowboard smile.gif

So, who's been to Poland? Any recommendations on must see sites? I'm not talking about Krakow, Auschwitz and all the usual things, but little known national parks, villages, backwater kind of places. Would love to hear about them!

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 14)
kris
post Sep 6 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Pathfinder

Member No.: 370

i got told to go to a salt mine by this polish guy from my old work then the night after he told me it came on tv.. when they were digging out all the salt they carved the walls, floors and ceiling out to a high standard with works of art, sculptures, marble looking floors and salt crystal chandeliers.. i don't know if its a 'usual thing', on the tourist trail or what because i have no interest in what travellers are doing in europe at the moment.. but i was impressed from what i saw

--------------------
IPB Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
will
post Sep 7 2006, 02:11 AM
Post #3

Expeditionist

Member No.: 952

Ahh yes. I've heard about that place. Apparently it's a popular half day trip from Krakow. I'll check it out I reckon.

--------------------
"I should like to spend my whole life traveling, if only I could borrow another to spend at home" - William Hazlitt

You can see my travelblog here!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
beyond
post Oct 9 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 21425

Since you are going to be there for so long, I would definelty suggest a trip through the Baltics, they are fantastic. In particular Tallinn, Estonia, for a great walled midevil city, and Kaunas Lithuania for a great devil museum. Also, if you are looking for the more abscure, I have often wanted to visit Kaliningrad Oblast, a small section of Russia between Poland and Lithuania that is home to the Russia's Baltic Fleet. When the USSR broke up, it was just too valuable to Russia to give up because it is Russia's only warm water port to the Atlantic.
All the best,
Beyond
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
chocks
post Nov 21 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 27498

QUOTE(will @ Sep 5 2006, 10:10 PM) *

I'm flying to Poland in 5 days. Awesome! I'll be there for 8 months, working in a language school, travelling heaps during my holidays and making the most of the winter by getting back onto a snowboard smile.gif

So, who's been to Poland? Any recommendations on must see sites? I'm not talking about Krakow, Auschwitz and all the usual things, but little known national parks, villages, backwater kind of places. Would love to hear about them!

I was recently in Wroclaw for a couple days. Neat town with a great town square complete with outdoor cafes and restaurants. Had a great time!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scout73
post Jan 2 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 121368

QUOTE(chocks @ Nov 21 2006, 10:14 PM) *

I was recently in Wroclaw for a couple days. Neat town with a great town square complete with outdoor cafes and restaurants. Had a great time!

Also, Depends what you like, but Czestochowa with its Castle is pretty unique. The OjcoNational Park near Krakow, and the Sudeten Mountains, especially Karpacz. I hope that helps.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
abg11
post Apr 29 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 174083

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
abg11
post Apr 29 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 174083

You've got to go to the southern part of Poland close to Slovakia and see the High Tatras. They are beautiful. Zakopane is a town in that area and is super-cute. You just want to snuggle in in the winter. It offers horse-drawn carriages during the snowy season. It's great for skiing/snowboarding and has a great atmosphere!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
dancera
post Dec 19 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 250755

I have lived in Krakow for a few months. I would for sure go to visit Zakopane...especially if you like to ski. Go for a few days and just relax. It is wonderful.

Also, go to Sopot by the Baltic. It's a cute town.

And, go to the Slovakia/Poland border to see the Pieniny Mountains and the Dunajec river. If it was warmer you could take a raft ride down the river.

Enjoy Poland! It is great!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Dec 23 2008, 05:05 AM
Post #10

Drifter

Member No.: 254315

Hi,
I'm a US citizen who lives in Poland now,I have been born in here,so I know this and that about Poland and I will tell you all,good ,bad and ugly but unfortunately you will have to pay me for my assistance.I have run out of money about a year ago and I can't even go back to USA.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
zijuzijazijana
post Dec 30 2008, 05:31 AM
Post #11

Drifter

Member No.: 254315

QUOTE(swedpart @ Dec 30 2008, 03:27 AM) *

QUOTE(beyond @ Oct 9 2006, 01:47 PM) *

Since you are going to be there for so long, I would definelty suggest a trip through the Baltics, they are fantastic. In particular Tallinn, Estonia, for a great walled midevil city, and Kaunas Lithuania for a great devil museum. Also, if you are looking for the more abscure, I have often wanted to visit Kaliningrad Oblast, a small section of Russia between Poland and Lithuania that is home to the Russia's Baltic Fleet. When the USSR broke up, it was just too valuable to Russia to give up because it is Russia's only warm water port to the Atlantic.
All the best,
Beyond

If you ever decide to visit Kaliningrad i can recommend you a very good web portal in english where you can find all kinds of useful information about the city. The name of the site is Kaliningrad city - International web portal

best of luck!

Thank you for suggestion but I have a travel plan for opposite direction.I'm planning to visit Austria,Germany,Switzerland,Italy and France.
Happy New Year
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
soar
post Jan 4 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #12

Wanderer

Member No.: 631281

Hi, glad to hear that you're going to spend such a long time in Poland, I know you think Krakow is a very common travel destination, but I think you'll see it anyway. Many amazing places to see in this city, churches, castles, monasteries and so on. If you're planning longer stay in Krakow I recommend you Aston Hostel as a very cheap and neat place to spend the night, very close to the city centre. Anyway, have fun!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nigh_panda
post Jul 2 2010, 04:21 AM
Post #13

Drifter

Member No.: 926111

Cracow is amazing. I love this city. People are so kind and always willing to party.
I met so many friends there whit who I'm in constant touch.
We liked have fun in Baccarat.
Do you know that place?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
anunia1985
post Jun 1 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1938101

In Poland, there is so much to see, I don't know whether any Pole has seen it all. With many interesting places I can recommend - "Crooked House" in Sopot, or house upside down in Szymbark (Kashubia). An interesting place is also Kazimierz Dolny - the pearl of the Renaissance. There are also many scenic parks, land of lakes - Masuria, Tatra Mountains, Bieszczady, Sudety and the Polish Baltic Sea.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
terahostel
post Feb 19 2012, 03:46 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 2680463

THIS IS HOSTEL FROM Tbilisi,GEORGIA:http://www.facebook.com/pages/TERA-HOSTELTbilisi/309567339058821?sk=wall

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 03:42 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.