Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 weeks in Italy, need help deciding itinerary
manderson
post Aug 28 2006, 03:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14546
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hello we are travelling to Italy for 4 weeks next June, we are 3 couples in our 50's and would prefer villa accommodation instead of hotels. We like nice restaurants and intend to base ourselves in one spot for a week at a time and drive from base to visit different towns each day. Thinking of 1 week in CT or surrounds then 1 week somewhere in Tuscany and 1 week on Amalfi Coast then finish with 1 week on Sardinia but am open to advice. We are unsure of which destination to stay at first and in what order to go. All advice would be appreciated.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sarisarah
post Aug 28 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14617

It might be better to go to Sardinia somewhere in the middle of your holiday, in order to just make your journey home a little bit shorter??? It'll also feel like a mini holiday within a holiday!!! Apart from that I haven't really got any suggestions as I've been to all the parts of Italy which you're NOT going to! (why am I even trying to answer your question?!)
The only thing I would say is that when you visit the town of Almafi (and you're bound to!) the gorgeous looking black and white stripey church is NOT Catholic so you don't need to cover your shoulders! I had just come from Rome where I had to cover my shoulders to go inside all the churches, but didn't have anything to cover my shoulders with when wandering round Almalfi so didn't try to enter the church. I was really disappointed to find out later that it's not a Catholic church!!! Silly bit of advice I know, but saves disappointment!! If you think you're not interested in churches, you will be after 4 weeks in Italy!! Also it's worth visiting the town of Ravello, which is really pretty and not half as touristy as Almalfi. Wandering around the backstreets was really picturesque.
I hope somebody else can come up with some better advice for your itinerary!!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manderson
post Aug 28 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(sarisarah @ Aug 28 2006, 02:53 PM) *

It might be better to go to Sardinia somewhere in the middle of your holiday, in order to just make your journey home a little bit shorter??? It'll also feel like a mini holiday within a holiday!!! Apart from that I haven't really got any suggestions as I've been to all the parts of Italy which you're NOT going to! (why am I even trying to answer your question?!)
The only thing I would say is that when you visit the town of Almafi (and you're bound to!) the gorgeous looking black and white stripey church is NOT Catholic so you don't need to cover your shoulders! I had just come from Rome where I had to cover my shoulders to go inside all the churches, but didn't have anything to cover my shoulders with when wandering round Almalfi so didn't try to enter the church. I was really disappointed to find out later that it's not a Catholic church!!! Silly bit of advice I know, but saves disappointment!! If you think you're not interested in churches, you will be after 4 weeks in Italy!! Also it's worth visiting the town of Ravello, which is really pretty and not half as touristy as Almalfi. Wandering around the backstreets was really picturesque.
I hope somebody else can come up with some better advice for your itinerary!!

Thank you for that info, I have heard before that Ravello is a beautiful town, do you think it would be nice to stay there instead of Amalfi and if so do they have plenty of restaurants. Starting to think it may be better to stay just out of the touristy towns and visit when we want instead of staying right in the middle of it, is this wise. Any suggestions on Portovenere in the CT area and also Verona which I think is in Tuscany?????
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarisarah
post Aug 28 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Hmmm, sorry I don't know anything about the other areas you're planning on visiting.
Ravello is pretty small. It might have one or two resturants (perhaps you should check out a guidebook?), but Almalfi definitley has a lot more.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manderson
post Aug 29 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(sarisarah @ Aug 28 2006, 05:01 PM) *

Hmmm, sorry I don't know anything about the other areas you're planning on visiting.
Ravello is pretty small. It might have one or two resturants (perhaps you should check out a guidebook?), but Almalfi definitley has a lot more.

Thanks, I will do that.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
steph_444
post Sep 8 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 28

Sorry for my ignorance but what does CT stand for. Terrible question as I have been to Italy twice before and am heading back there in a weeks time. Hopefully I can give you a bit of advice.

I've spent time in Torino which is a lovely city in the north. Milan is alright but I wouldn't recommend spending any real amount of time there with the exception of it's museums. Venice is everything you expect and more. Going back a third time and I am just as excited as the first time. Stunning. Verona is absolutely gorgeous as well. Just beautiful. I definitely recommend it as well. Not quite in Tuscany though I don't think. Florence is nice to visit for it's museums and surrounding scenery. Not my favourite city because of all the crowds and the weather at the timee, but everyone else I've met loves it. Fiesole is just outside of Florence and it sounds like a nice place. An old villa or town I believe. Haven't seen much of Tuscany, but will be spending a few days there in a weeks time. Siena sounds great, as well as some of the hilltops towns. Montepulciano, Cortona, and San Gimignano are on my list for the next trip. Shouldn't be too hard to find a villa to stay in while you are there.
Rome is great. Spent a week there last fall and though the crowds were a bit too much by day 6, it can't really be helped. It's an amazing city and deserves definitely a few days time.

Haven't yet been south of Rome, but from what I've heard it sounds great. I'll be staying in a town called Atrani right next to Amalfi. SHould be a bit quieter but still close to the center. Heard good things about Ravello, Positano would be nice to visit though touristy and expensive, and basing yourself there (Amalfi coast) for a week, you'd be able to visit Naples, Sorrento, Salerno, Pompeii, and other roman towns south of there quite easily.

Never been to Sardinia so I can't help you there.

One other place up north is the Ligurian coast? Cinque Terre. I was only able to get there for part of a day, but it was gorgeous!! Five villages tucked into the cliffs and rocks high above the sea. There is a path linking all the towns along the coast and it's so amazing to walk through them. Stayed in Lucca the night before and it was quite pretty as well.

I love Italy and I think you'll have an amazing time. If you have any other questions then just ask me.

Cheers!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sarisarah
post Sep 10 2006, 04:24 AM
Post #7

Aah yes Sienna is stunning (although it was heaving with tourists when I was there) and well worth a visit for yet more ancient architecture!!

If you plan on visiting Pompei, I would recommend also visiting Herculanium which is not far away. Pompei and Herculanium are interesting for different reasons. Pompei is huge and fascinating to wander round, but only a tiny amount of Herculanium was preserved, however, what is there tends to be more detailed. i.e. there were some beautiful hardly damaged and complete mosaics and fireplaces at Herculanium, whereas Pompei seemed better for understanding whole buildings.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manderson
post Sep 10 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(steph_444 @ Sep 8 2006, 09:49 AM) *

Sorry for my ignorance but what does CT stand for. Terrible question as I have been to Italy twice before and am heading back there in a weeks time. Hopefully I can give you a bit of advice.

I've spent time in Torino which is a lovely city in the north. Milan is alright but I wouldn't recommend spending any real amount of time there with the exception of it's museums. Venice is everything you expect and more. Going back a third time and I am just as excited as the first time. Stunning. Verona is absolutely gorgeous as well. Just beautiful. I definitely recommend it as well. Not quite in Tuscany though I don't think. Florence is nice to visit for it's museums and surrounding scenery. Not my favourite city because of all the crowds and the weather at the timee, but everyone else I've met loves it. Fiesole is just outside of Florence and it sounds like a nice place. An old villa or town I believe. Haven't seen much of Tuscany, but will be spending a few days there in a weeks time. Siena sounds great, as well as some of the hilltops towns. Montepulciano, Cortona, and San Gimignano are on my list for the next trip. Shouldn't be too hard to find a villa to stay in while you are there.
Rome is great. Spent a week there last fall and though the crowds were a bit too much by day 6, it can't really be helped. It's an amazing city and deserves definitely a few days time.

Haven't yet been south of Rome, but from what I've heard it sounds great. I'll be staying in a town called Atrani right next to Amalfi. SHould be a bit quieter but still close to the center. Heard good things about Ravello, Positano would be nice to visit though touristy and expensive, and basing yourself there (Amalfi coast) for a week, you'd be able to visit Naples, Sorrento, Salerno, Pompeii, and other roman towns south of there quite easily.

Never been to Sardinia so I can't help you there.

One other place up north is the Ligurian coast? Cinque Terre. I was only able to get there for part of a day, but it was gorgeous!! Five villages tucked into the cliffs and rocks high above the sea. There is a path linking all the towns along the coast and it's so amazing to walk through them. Stayed in Lucca the night before and it was quite pretty as well.

I love Italy and I think you'll have an amazing time. If you have any other questions then just ask me.

Cheers!

Thanks Steph444 for all your help, CT stands for Cinque Terre and I believe it is a must see but so are alot of other places, ahh decisions decisions.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
steph_444
post Sep 12 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Drifter

Cinque Terre of course. I would feel less embarassed for not knowing what that stands for if I hadn't been there before. It is AMAZING though. I would love to go back there. I am reading a book on Italy at the moment and there was a chapter on Cinque Terre and it makes me wish I had been able to spend more than an afternoon there. It really is so peaceful and scenic. All of Italy so far has been amazing so I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose. Good luck!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manderson
post Sep 12 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(steph_444 @ Sep 12 2006, 03:14 PM) *

Cinque Terre of course. I would feel less embarassed for not knowing what that stands for if I hadn't been there before. It is AMAZING though. I would love to go back there. I am reading a book on Italy at the moment and there was a chapter on Cinque Terre and it makes me wish I had been able to spend more than an afternoon there. It really is so peaceful and scenic. All of Italy so far has been amazing so I don't think you can go wrong whatever you choose. Good luck!

Hi Steph, I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me as I am having trouble deciding what would be the best for us. There are 4 of us in our early 50's, we are all quite fit and healthy but dont know whether it would be best to stay in towns or just out of and drive in each day. We are hoping to rent villas everywhere we go as we like the independance they give. Thought 1 week in CT perhaps Monterossa or wondering if it would be best to stay in Portovenere???? 1 week in Tuscany maybe San Gimignano??? 1 week on Sardinia at Alghero then 1 week on Amalfi coast perhaps Praia or maybe Ravello. We like the option of a night of being close to several restaurants as will be out looking around all day and dont want to go far of a night. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated, thanks Steph, Michelle.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
steph_444
post Sep 13 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #11

Drifter

Hmm, good questions. I will try to give you my opinions but that's about all I can offer.

As for Cinque Terre, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the five villages as far as where to stay goes. Monterosso seems like the largest one and therefore maybe better for restaurants and that type of thing. It couldn't be simpler to get to the other villages as they are just short gorgeous walks between each and then the train connects each of them so you could always do that and leave the car behind. Think it might be difficult to get your car into some of the villages. Portovenere looks like quite a bigger place. More tourists, shops, restuarants. Very close to the other towns looking on a map so you could always drive in and back out when you wished. My preference would be to get to know the smaller villages before I would stay in the bigger town/city. Haven't spent the night anywhere there so I can't tell you more than that. Sorry.

If you were looking for a villa in Tuscany, one in the countryside might be nice especially if you have a car with you. I don't think I would pick just one small town like San Gimignano. Though I've heard a lovely town. For Tuscany I think just find some places that you'd like to see for sure and then find a place in the middle and not too far driving distance away. Tons of towns worthy of spending time in there. Though all of this I have only heard. I'll know more in two weeks time when I've actually spent some time in Tuscany/Amalfi.

Also heard Ravello is nice. Not on the coast? but the nicest views of the area. I am going to be staying in Atrani, just around the bend from Amalfi. Apparently not too far of a walk to Amalfi and all it's amenities, but a lot quieter and smaller. I'll see how I like it.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific on any of your questions. If you have the time do a google search for some of the towns you are planning on visiting. Check out what kind of attractions are there, restaurants, how many tourists might be around depending on the time you are visiting.

Have fun planning and maybe ask me again in two weeks about Amalfi/Tuscany. I'll have a little more insight then. Cheers!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
manderson
post Sep 13 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(steph_444 @ Sep 13 2006, 10:41 AM) *

Hmm, good questions. I will try to give you my opinions but that's about all I can offer.

As for Cinque Terre, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the five villages as far as where to stay goes. Monterosso seems like the largest one and therefore maybe better for restaurants and that type of thing. It couldn't be simpler to get to the other villages as they are just short gorgeous walks between each and then the train connects each of them so you could always do that and leave the car behind. Think it might be difficult to get your car into some of the villages. Portovenere looks like quite a bigger place. More tourists, shops, restuarants. Very close to the other towns looking on a map so you could always drive in and back out when you wished. My preference would be to get to know the smaller villages before I would stay in the bigger town/city. Haven't spent the night anywhere there so I can't tell you more than that. Sorry.

If you were looking for a villa in Tuscany, one in the countryside might be nice especially if you have a car with you. I don't think I would pick just one small town like San Gimignano. Though I've heard a lovely town. For Tuscany I think just find some places that you'd like to see for sure and then find a place in the middle and not too far driving distance away. Tons of towns worthy of spending time in there. Though all of this I have only heard. I'll know more in two weeks time when I've actually spent some time in Tuscany/Amalfi.

Also heard Ravello is nice. Not on the coast? but the nicest views of the area. I am going to be staying in Atrani, just around the bend from Amalfi. Apparently not too far of a walk to Amalfi and all it's amenities, but a lot quieter and smaller. I'll see how I like it.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific on any of your questions. If you have the time do a google search for some of the towns you are planning on visiting. Check out what kind of attractions are there, restaurants, how many tourists might be around depending on the time you are visiting.

Have fun planning and maybe ask me again in two weeks about Amalfi/Tuscany. I'll have a little more insight then. Cheers!

Thanks so much for that information, you have been a huge help, I would love to speak to you again in a few weeks and see what your thoughts are, have fun.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
babieemelly
post Oct 10 2006, 11:11 AM
Post #13

Wayfarer

Member No.: 5722

If you get a chance, try to visit Portofino. It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The weather is great pretty much year-round. The late mornings and early afternoons are always pretty crowded since a lot of tour companies offer day trips, but in the late afternoon (when the crowds begin to thin) and early evening, especially around sunset, the views are SPECTACULAR.

There's not much to do in the area, but taking a walk around the harbor will make the trip worth it. The scenery is just unbelievable.

--------------------
IPB Image
"The core of man's spirit comes from new experiences." - Christopher McCandless

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
janessmartart
post Oct 30 2006, 10:51 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 24483

Just joined TravelPod and went right to this Italy discussion. What a great time you're going to have ... 4 weeks in Italy. Wow! In June, though, you need to be prepared for a very hot sun.

Cinque Terre: We stayed in Bonasole, which is north of the five "official" CT towns. We were traveling with Italian friends who did the planning, so it was a less "touristy" place. No English spoken at the hotel. We took the train south as far as whatever towns we wanted to explore and hike, then trained back from wherever we ended up that day. I'm not sure I'd want to spend a full week there, even though it's beautiful, unless there were plans to use it as a base with day trips. Since I'm really into art and architecture and history. I'd want to get to Genoa and Pisa.

Tuscany: San Gimignano is a lovely town for a day trip. But as to where to stay, I'd tend to look for a place East of Florence instead. Traveling with another couple, we rented a beautiful house outside Cortona. It has a pool and was very private, looking out over an olive grove. (The layout was perfect for two couples, so if you're interested in knowing more, I'll look for the info for you) From there we had easy access by car to towns like Assisi, Siena, Arrezzo, Perugia ... Cortona was a beautiful 30- to 40-minute walk.

Many of the old towns want you to park outside and walk in. It's a good idea to decide in advance on which side of the town you should park. At Siena there's a lot below the town, with a fantastic long escalator that takes you up into town. I can refer you to a terrific tour guide in Siena, if you like. At Assisi, I like to park in the lot above town by the ruined castle, and walk down to the Duomo. Beautiful vistas over the Vale of Spoleto.

I agree with Steph 444 about Florence. The art is fabulous, of course, and not to be missed. I especially love the little Gianbologna bronzes at the Bargello Museum. The Bargello is a very pleasant museum experience because it doesn't tend to draw crowds the way, for example, the Accademia and the Uffizi do. Of course you can't see at the Bargello what you can see at the Accademia and the Uffizi! If you do go Firenze, and you're feeling stressed by the city noise and crowds, head to the convent of San Marco with its wonderful serene Fra Angelico frescoes. A short rest sitting in the shade in the cloister will revive your spirits. If you're interested in the frescoes, you might like the Jane's Smart Art Audio Guide to Fra Angelico at San Marco.

If you want to stay overnight in Florence, I like the Hotel Orto dei Medici, which is a block from San Marco. It's quiet and pleasant, recently renovated. The rooms at the back are quiet, overlooking the part that remains of the Medici garden where Michelangelo learned to sculpt. There's also a terrific restaurant in Piazza San Marco, called Accademia. That museum is south about a block. I also can recommend an excellent tour guide in Florence, who gave us a tour of the Baptistry and Duomo this past June.

Before I close, I have to put in a plug for Rome, which I don't think you mentioned. It's my all-time favorite city in the world! If you were to want to rent an apartment there, I can recommend a rental agent. I could spend four weeks in Rome alone!

Do let me know if you'd like the Cortona or Rome rental agent and tour guide referrals.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
cheaptraveller
post Jan 21 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #15

Wanderer

Member No.: 29527

QUOTE(manderson @ Aug 28 2006, 03:40 AM) *

Hello we are travelling to Italy for 4 weeks next June, we are 3 couples in our 50's and would prefer villa accommodation instead of hotels. We like nice restaurants and intend to base ourselves in one spot for a week at a time and drive from base to visit different towns each day. Thinking of 1 week in CT or surrounds then 1 week somewhere in Tuscany and 1 week on Amalfi Coast then finish with 1 week on Sardinia but am open to advice. We are unsure of which destination to stay at first and in what order to go. All advice would be appreciated.

Hi, - sounds like you have a lot of trips to plan!

But first of all congratulations that you choose Italy for your Europe travel and those three regions for a vacation! Italy, and in particular the regions Tuscany and Lazio with their cities Florence and Rome have been one of my favourite vacation destinations for many years.

Within 10 years of travelling to Italy, plus having lived and work for 3 years in Rome as a tourist guide, I have accumulated so much knowledge about those cities and regions that I should keep it brief giving tips for your trip.

For Rome, for instance, a top priority in my opinion is to get your hotel (or other accommodation) sorted before your arrival. Trust me, sorting out your holiday houses, villas or apartments, before your arrival, keeps you away from falling into any "scam artists" tourists traps hanging around in dozens, for instance at Termini in Rome, the main railway station. You will always have to pass through that Termini station, whether you arrive by train, plain or bus. And they know that.

Having gained so much experience about Italy travelling and working in tourism in Italy I started to put my thoughts and pics together on a homepage, so if you interested you can read up on my Rome Vacations or Tuscany Holidays.

I would love to chat lots more about it but I am a bit in a rush right know and need to go out, its Saturday night.. have a look at my travel guide home page if you are interested, where I ll write down many of my experiences I had in the past 10 years of traveling around Europe.

Favorite Topics about Italy are: Tuscany Holidays, Rome Hotels and Rome Tourist Attractions.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jennifer70
post Jun 18 2008, 04:59 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 199894

QUOTE(manderson @ Aug 28 2006, 03:40 AM) *

We paid a reasonable price to visit Naples and Amalfi Coast with an English speaking driver. His name is Amadeo. Look at his website www.amedeoavellino.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
bombasticlife
post Sep 7 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 47280

You mentioned Ravello vs. Amalfi. Ravello is much nicer (in my opinion). If I were you, I would spend four day sin Ravello and three in Amalfi.

I was in Italy for five weeks in June/July this year and traveled from Rome to Napoli, Capri to Amalfi to Sicily and Sardinia. In all, 17 hotels - I write travel review for Bombastic Life - http://www.bombasticlife.com

I cannot give you info on villas but I have some good restaurant info on my site.

If you go to Sardinia, be sure to visit Algharo, it is amazing!

Enjoy your stay in Italy - its an amazing place!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
tiendn5
post Oct 22 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #18

Drifter

Member No.: 252696

you could search some best hotel in rome with website:
http://www.hotelsinrome.net
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
giacomofra
post Nov 1 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 254442

Ferrara was with Rome the place where Pasolini would have liked to live. It's a gorgeous old university town, close to Bologna and the sea, a must see.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
andrea77
post Dec 11 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #20

Wanderer

Member No.: 264657

For an accommodation in a villa or apartments give a look at http://www.italybyitaly.com
they have very good deals in all Italy and also other kind of accommodations such as b&b, farmhouses, resorts, hotels etc..

--------------------
Camere a Londra Rooms in London
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 10:43 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.