Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Juggling a car and a ferry
swampcat
post Aug 28 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 302691
Nominate me as a Local Expert

My wife and I are driving a rental car from Cinque Terra to Capri where we are staying for 5 nights (Anacapri).

I am looking for a place to leave the car when we take the ferry to Capri. We would like to return to the car maybe once or twice during the 5 days to visit Sorrento, Positano, etc.

Can anyone suggest the best port to use, Sorrento would be nice because it is further south than Naples. We hope to find a guarded car parking lot we can walk to from the port.

Our day would go something like:

Taxi from Anacapri hotel to Capri port.

Ferry from Capri port to ?????

Walk to car and visit couple towns

Park the car again, walk to ferry, taxi back to hotel.

I'm tired just writing about it! Are we nuts to try this??

I would be super appreciative if someone could give us a suggestion, the name of the car lot and ferry would be very appreciative.

Ed Pavia

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 1 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

I'm wondering if they just rent cars right from the port? Is there any way you can find out?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rinr
post Sep 1 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 312361

Ciao Ed!

I live in Rome and we travel often south tho Sorrento, Naples, and Capri. Check out this posting for our most recent trip to Sorrento: Getaway to Sorrento

There are plenty of car parks available near the port in Naples. I recommend Naples only because there are more options than Sorrento and we've used the car parks there before. I would Google "Car Parks" in either Sorrento and Naples and you'll get many hits - probably in Italian... like these folks: [url=http://www.carsudpark.com/] .

If you're already locked into your hotel on Capri, so be it... but I'd rather not go back and forth on the hydrafoil unless I had to. Once we get to Capri, we just tend to stay there - It's very quiet and relaxing. Naples is exactly the OPPOSITE! But if you have limited time I understand your dliemna. If you could, I might change to 2 -3 nights in Capri and then 2 nights in Sorrento... you get the best of both worlds. Oftentimes when we stayed at a hotel in Naples or Sorrento, we coordinated with them to LEAVE our rental car and pay a daily fee. This is another option to consider if you're spending a night before heading out to Capri. Good Luck - you'll have a great time in Capri!

Ron
Ron-in-Rome

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
suz123nj
post Sep 3 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #4

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 280549

HI,

Here are my thoughts about your car situation. If you are not completely committed financially to the car I would turn it in in Naples. Driving to and from little towns even if you weren't on Capri would be a vey big pain. We thought about using our car from Sorrento to Pompeii and even took it out of the lot over the protests of the hotel conceirge. We got just out of town and turned back because of the hectic traffic and took the train. crazy.gif

My suggestion would be to return the car in Naples. Take the ferry to Capri. If you want to visit towns on the coast or go into Pompeii etc. use the train. It is direct and easy from Sorrento. You can also take a boat or one of the red tourist bus services from Sorrento to visit Amalfi or Positano. When you leave return to Naples and get a new car.

Hope this gives you pause to think about making your vacation less confusing. blink.gif

Suzan
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
birmingham1
post Jun 16 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2975393

In Sorrento park your car in the garage that is on the road that goes down to the ferry to Capri.
Have done it several times leaving luggage in the car. It is safe and convenient.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 03:03 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.