Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Info on UZ Independence Day & 2200 Anniversary, Info for travelers in the coming days
ahamill
post Aug 28 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Wayfarer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 67301

(from the Consular Warden System of the U.S. Embassy in Uzbekistan)

The Republic of Uzbekistan is celebrating its Independence Day and 2200th anniversary celebration of Tashkent city on September 1-2, and will also hold official events on August 31. The Government of Uzbekistan will increase security throughout the country and particularly in Tashkent. There will be numerous street closures and traffic detours as a result of this increased security posture. Please give yourself ample time during this period to reach your destination.

Public transportation will run, but expect that additional police officers will monitor buses, trams, and other public vehicles, and may stop passengers for document checks. Security checkpoints at the city limits will be reinforced with armed MVD troops and random document checks will increase in frequency. Be prepared for inconveniences and delays entering the capital. On August 31, 2009 trains will not be stopping at “Milliy Bog” and “Bunyodkor” subway stations and will be closed from 3 p.m. until 10 p.m.

Pedestrian and vehicular traffic will be restricted. Everyone should have identification documents in the event that police ask for them.

The Regional Security Office is expecting the tentative closure of the following streets and metro stops:
August 31st
Amir Temur Street
Jakhon Obidova Street – Shakhristanskaya Street
Mukimiy Street - Turkestanskaya Street to Amir Temur Street
Gafur Gulyam Street to tunnel entrance
Zarkaynar Street to tunnel entrance
“Milliy Bog’” subway station
Exit from Bunyodkor metro station in direction of Istiklol (former Druzhba Narodov) palace
Bunyodkor (former Druzhba Narodov)- Mukimiy to Asatullo Khujaev Street
Asatullo Khujaev Street - Samarkand Darvoza
Intersection Uzbekistanskaya- Bunyodkor to Sharof Rashidov Street
Intersection Turob Tula - Uzbekistanskaya to Gafurov Street
Intersection Gafurov Street- Furkat to Bobur Street
Intersection Bobur Street – Batir Babaev to Gafurov
Intersection Furkat Street – Gafurov to Uzbekistanskaya
September 1st and 2nd
From 0600 to 2200, the following sites may not be accessible by motor vehicles or traffic may be limited:
Uzbekistan National Park (Besh-Yogoch)
Mustakillik Square
Istiklol Square (former Druzhba Narodov)
Navoi Theater Square
Khadra Square
Mirzo Ulugbek Square
Saylgokh ("Broadway") street
Amir Temur Square
Akmal Ikramov, Bobur, Mirzo Ulugbek, Gafur Gulom, Furkat, Kodiri, Navoi Parks
Please keep these street closures and heightened security measures in mind, and allow for ample travel time to destinations.
The Embassy will be closed for routine business starting Monday, August 31 through Wednesday, September 2, 2009. During this time, please contact the Embassy at 120-5450 for any emergency American Citizen Services.
The U.S. Embassy in Uzbekistan is located at 3, Moyqo’rghon Street, 5th Block, Yunusobod District, Tashkent, Uzbekistan 100093. The main telephone number is 998-71-120-5450. The fax number is 998-71-120-6335. The website is http://uzbekistan.usembassy.gov. Travelers should also consult the Department of State's latest Country Specific Information for Uzbekistan and the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement at http://travel.state.gov. American citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States or Canada, and 202-501-4444 from overseas.

--------------------
Sleepless in Tashkent
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Sep 1 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Very interesting!

What kind of celebrations are going to happen?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
8forbreakfast
post Jul 29 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1009541
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hey Hamill,

Thanks for the heads-up. Only wish I could have been there during the celebrations, I only went to Samarkand and that was for a week ago. Lovely country, lovely people....Lovely customs office on the way home.wink.gif

Even though I did not manage (the customs kept my migration card on entry) to keep my migration card, they let me thru the customs and onwards on my way home. They were all very helpful. Thorough but helpful. Uzbekistan is definitely worth another visit in the future.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 04:49 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.