Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> scenic drive from Cinque Terre to Sienna
meredithp
post Aug 25 2009, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 298339

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to Italy in a few weeks with my husband (no children.) We'll be driving from Cinque Terre to Siena (after spending 2 days in CT.) Do you have any advice on places to see or towns to stop in on the way from CT to Siena? We're interested more in beautiful scenery and wine than we are in museums and shopping, love coastal towns, and plan to spend 2 days in Siena before driving to Florence.

While I'm at it, do you also have any advice on side trips in Tuscany to take while stayting in Siena? Finally, I've heard that I should drive the Chianti highway on the way from Siena to Florence, but need advice on where to stop.

Thanks for your advice!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Aug 25 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

You must visit San Gimignano:
http://www.sangimignano.com/sghomei.htm

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
swampcat
post Aug 28 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 302691

QUOTE(meredithp @ Aug 25 2009, 04:23 PM) *

Hi!

I'm planning a trip to Italy in a few weeks with my husband (no children.) We'll be driving from Cinque Terre to Siena (after spending 2 days in CT.) Do you have any advice on places to see or towns to stop in on the way from CT to Siena? We're interested more in beautiful scenery and wine than we are in museums and shopping, love coastal towns, and plan to spend 2 days in Siena before driving to Florence.

While I'm at it, do you also have any advice on side trips in Tuscany to take while stayting in Siena? Finally, I've heard that I should drive the Chianti highway on the way from Siena to Florence, but need advice on where to stop.

Thanks for your advice!

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
swampcat
post Aug 28 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 302691

QUOTE(Massimo @ Aug 27 2009, 12:35 AM) *

You will simply love the area around SIena.
Check out the town of Monteriggioni, drive through the windy chianti road, pick up a winery and stop for a wine tasting and if you want for a nice local lunch.
The chianti region is pretty big, and I can say any little town you choose has its own appeal.

Hi

We are also visiting Cinque Terre for a couple days (Sept 12-15) and then driving south. Like you, we also are more interested in the seacoast/landscape. We looked at Tuscany but it looks like upstate NY to us, we decided to station ourselves in Capri and then do day trips with the car in the Amalfi area - I think the real breadthtaking scenery is the coastline! And it has it quaint towns to roam. ( pinnacle@netacc.net)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rinr
post Sep 1 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 312361

Ciao Meredithp,

What a great opportunity to drive from Cinque Terre to Siena- two of our favorite spots. We live in Rome and often ride up SS2 & SS222 to Siena and beyond. We've also driven and taken the train to CT, so we know the area fairly well. To say you have many options would be an understatement!

If you like Coastal towns, then after La Spezia get off the Autostrada and head towards the coast. There you will a host of small towns all connected by a coastal highway. On our last trip we got off A-12 at Marina di Carrara and followed the coastline. It's an interesting look at how Italians do the beach! The combination of the sea on one side and the mountains on the other is beautiful.

Once past there, depending on how much time you want to spend enroute to Siena, you can see Pisa (watch out for the ZTL's), side-step over to Lucca (ride the bikes on the city walls!), then head south to Volterra (home of the Twilight series vampires), head a little northest to San G, as suggested ... and then wind down SS2 into Siena (or if it's late, take the hwy). Again, that part of the country is beautiful. I suggest your prioritize what you want to see - and don't forget the wine festivals that will be going on that time of year. Probably one of the most famous is the CHIANTI CLASSICO WINE FESTIVAL at GREVE IN CHIANTI. It's a great time of year to be in Tuscany! Have fun!

Ron
Ron-in-Rome
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 01:45 AM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.