Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tanzania visa
danblank
post Aug 23 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2549

I'm flying to Tanzania (from the US) at the end of the year. Everything I'm reading says I have to get my visa from the embassy in advance for $100. But it also seems that a visa acquired in Tanzania is $50. Does anyone know if I can get my visa upon entry at the airport, or since I'm flying do I have to get it in advance?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 24 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

What country are you a citizen of? US?

This is what the embassy in the US says about it:

Ordinary/ Tourist Visa: This visa is issued at any Tanzanian embassy. It grants tourists/ visitors the authorization to enter the country through designated entry points on the border, through airports and harbour stations. However, a person coming from a country with no access to a Tanzanian embassy or where it is reasonably distant shall be issued a visa at the entry points in Tanzania.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
benefactours
post Sep 1 2009, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 284693

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Aug 24 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Ordinary/ Tourist Visa: This visa is issued at any Tanzanian embassy. It grants tourists/ visitors the authorization to enter the country through designated entry points on the border, through airports and harbour stations. However, a person coming from a country with no access to a Tanzanian embassy or where it is reasonably distant shall be issued a visa at the entry points in Tanzania.

You will always pay more when getting your visa in advance, even when ordering directly from the embassy in question. However, I also know that Americans do pay a higher rate than most for a visa in Tanzania. You are able to get your visa when you enter the country, as you do in other East African countries.
Cheers,
Cynthia
www.benefactours.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
danblank
post Sep 10 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2549

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea if it's cheaper to get it right in country? Also, any idea if it's time-consuming to do it in the airport? I'd be willing to spend a few extra bucks to not sit in the airport for hours clearing customs.

QUOTE(benefactours @ Sep 1 2009, 06:46 PM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Aug 24 2009, 12:28 PM) *

You will always pay more when getting your visa in advance, even when ordering directly from the embassy in question. However, I also know that Americans do pay a higher rate than most for a visa in Tanzania. You are able to get your visa when you enter the country, as you do in other East African countries.
Cheers,
Cynthia
www.benefactours.com

User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
kili-kelly
post Sep 24 2009, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Tourist

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 375741

I would recommend getting it at the airport. It doesn't take too much time. The reason that I say this is because first of all, if for some reason you have to cancel at the last moment, you are not out the money. Secondly, the TZ government may at any time decide to make changes. I had this happen my first trip to TZ. I was going to volunteer and was told that I had to apply in advance for a work permit. I got it in advance, then one week before my trip, I was told that the policy had changed and I needed a newly created volunteer permit. I was told that my unused permit was non refundable and was not able to be converted into the new permit. If the TZ government changes the price of a permit, you will most certainly not get a rebate if the rate gets lowered and may not have a valid permit if the rate increases. (In the past few months for example, a volunteer permit was raised without advance notice from $120 to $500, then a short time later, returned back to $120) I would apply in advance only if you need something special. At the airport, often you will not get a choice of getting a single entry or multiple entry visa. Last time I came in, they would not grant a mulitple entry visa, only a single entry visa. I had a friend who when he came in, could only get a multiple entry visa. Safari njema. I am sure that you will enjoy your visit immensely.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 11:02 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.