Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> bariloche or Mendoza in early September ?
peterfromwigan
post Aug 22 2009, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 297443
Nominate me as a Local Expert

Hi, I'm planning a two week trip to Argentina and want to do some hiking in addition to a week in BA. Bariloche sounds more appealing but I am concerend that it may more of a place for Skiing rather than walking in September. Any thoughts most welcome.

Peter from UK
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
kathryn77
post Aug 22 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 30044

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure about walking conditions as such, but I do know that it should be spring in Bariloche then (but given global warming, you never know!) I found a good weather website specific to that region, so I hope it is helpful.

Hopefully someone will have been there at that time of year to give you a better insight

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Aug 22 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #3

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

As Kathryn says, you have to keep in mind that in the southern hemisphere the seasons are reversed. The climate in Bariloche is very similar to the Alps or the Rockies in April, which tend to be rainy in the lower reaches around the cities, and still some late snow higher in the mountains.

Mendoza is much drier and is semi-desert. Here's a breakdown on Mendoza weather:

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
jeffs
post Aug 28 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7257

Both are fantastic places... I was at both probably this time last year..... the slopes at Bariloche will be open and are pretty good. Obviously the views are stunning. Mendoza is obviously the place for wine. If you head to Bariloche i'd recommend staying at 1004 hostel - amazing views and smack bang in the middle of town! A week in BA is quite a long time, especially as you only have 2 weeks..... In that time you could actually do all 3 places if you cut down your time in BA to 3 or 4 days. Also, LAN airways do cheap airfares.. it's actually cheaper to book a return and not use the return leg than a single! Very jealous though, Arg is a tip top place!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
lexicon.
post Sep 7 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 288170

Just left Bariloche 2 days ago. Went to San Martin de los Andes for a day..and just arrived in Mendoza today.

They got dumped on in Bariloche couple days ago (snowed for 2 days straight)...hiking is not the best this time of year, more ski, but might be accessable depending on how much you like the cold--and if willing to drive little further to national parks where not covered in snow.

Mendoza is much warmer/tolerable right now...and warming up to the 70/80īs this coming week (supposedly). It is a little bit of a bus-ride to the good hiking (couple hours), but have the highest peak in SA and also pretty close to San Juan which has some great hiking from what I hear.

Lake Districts would be a much better hike if both had ideal conditions...and if you got the bullocks to gear up and weather the frigid temps...views are simply amazing.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 10:09 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Argentina

Buenos Aires Hotels
Cafayate Hotels
Capilla del Monte Hotels
Carilo Hotels
Chacras de Coria Hotels
Cordoba Hotels
Corrientes Hotels
El Bolson Hotels
El Calafate Hotels
El Chalten Hotels
Esquel Hotels
La Cumbre Hotels
La Falda Hotels
Mar del Plata Hotels
Mendoza Hotels
Neuquen Hotels
Pilar Hotels
Pinamar Hotels
Puerto Iguazu Hotels
Puerto Madryn Hotels
Puerto Piramides Hotels
Purmamarca Hotels
Rosario Hotels
Salta Hotels
San Antonio de Areco Hotels
San Carlos de Bariloche Hotels
San Juan Hotels
San Martin de los Andes Hotels
San Miguel de Tucuman Hotels
San Rafael Hotels
San Salvador de Jujuy Hotels
Santa Fe Hotels
Tigre Hotels
Tilcara Hotels
Trelew Hotels
Ushuaia Hotels
Villa Carlos Paz Hotels
Villa General Belgrano Hotels
Villa Gesell Hotels
Villa La Angostura Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.