Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

> Central Switzerland: request for advice regarding our tour plans, areas : interlaken jingfraugh
tziyon
post Aug 18 2009, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 296428
Nominate me as a Local Expert

We are a couple (47, 44), planning our first ever visit to Switzerland. We have reviewed certain articles, books and web sites and now have a general concept of the course and intinary., but still insure about certain issues.
We would deeply appreciate any advice on these issues:

Mountains (including excursions) : Which of the following is more recommended and which less :
Jungfraugh/ Monch/ Schilthorn/ Mannichlen/ First/ Kandersteg
Luzern area: Pilatus/ Rigi
Interlaken area: Ruthorn/ Titlis.
Others?

If we do the Pilatus from where should we ascend and to where descend?

Which of the following nature sites is more recommended :
Trummelbach/ Staubbach/ Aareschlucht/ reichenbach/ Gletscherschlucht / Giessbach/ others?

Recommended things to see on half day tours in:
Luzern
Bern
Interllaken/ Brienz etc.

Recommended accommodation in the Interlaken Jungfraugh area (preference to apartment rental).

Shall we rent a car or use public transportation, taking in account the different considerations such as: saving time, convenience and independence on the one hand and the difficulty to enjoy the landscapes while driving, the thrill of taking special public vehicles (railways, cog trains, cable cars etc.), the difficulty of driving the very steep and narrow roads, and traffic and parking difficulties and costs in the cities.

Thank you so much for your timeand effort [color=#3366FF]
[font=Times New Roman]
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 2)
starlagurl
post Aug 18 2009, 01:38 PM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Hellooooo and welcome to the forums.

I have been to Lucerne, but only for a couple of days. I would say that you should not go on a cruise where you get unlimited drinks. I spent the evening hanging around the docks there and watched how annoying it was... amazing!

Anyway, it is a beautiful town.

Have a look at some of the blogs from Switzerland and you should find some advice.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-count...rland/tpod.html

I'm sure more people will have better ideas for you than I do as well.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travelingdiva
post Oct 11 2009, 05:49 AM
Post #3

Explorer

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 201752

I know I am probably way too late for you, but I thought for future searches I could answer a few of these questions.

Honestly, from what I have seen and what I have heard from others, all of the mountains you listed are worth a visit.

Jungfraujoch is not actually in Central Switzerland but it is not far. It seems to be the most well known internationally as it is Europe's highest altitude railway station (3,454 metres) and also has the longest ice stream in the Alps (Aletsch Glacier - 22 km). In addition, there is an ice palace and husky-drawn sledge rides, and terraces with 360 degree views.

On the other hand, Pilatus has the steepest cogwheel railway in the world at 48% gradient (and 4618m long) and two gondolas. In the summer they have Switzerland's longest tobaggan run and a large suspension rope park. However, Pilatus is significantly lower than Jungfraujoch at 2132m.

Titlis is another great option. At 3020m, it has the only glacier in Central Switzerland and a revolving cable car to the top.

As for traveling around Switzerland, I am inclined to say you should take the train. You will find no inconveniences with the transit sytem. The roads are fine but they do have some confusing intersections and parking is generally expensive and hard to find. The trains aren't cheap either but they take you from where you are to where you want to be and it is all so well planned out you will never get lost trying to find a bus station from a train station, or any other transfers. Also, the trains are often (but not always) faster than driving, especially if you can get intercity train(s) to your destination.

Bern, Luzern, and Interlaken are all great day or half-day trips. And they all have nearby mountain cablecars / railways to visit, so that may help you decide which itnerary to make. For what to do on daytrips to these areas, please read the Switzerland Starter Kit pinned in this forum.

--------------------

Local Travel Expert for Switzerland
Read about my life abroad
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 10:10 PM
Top Hotel Destinations

Acapulco Hotels
Atlanta Hotels
Austin Hotels
Beijing Hotels
Cancun Hotels
Charlotte Hotels
Chicago Hotels
Dallas Hotels
Denver Hotels
Honolulu Hotels
Houston Hotels
Indianapolis Hotels
Kissimmee Hotels
Las Vegas Hotels
London Hotels
Los Angeles Hotels
Mexico City Hotels
Miami Hotels
Miami Beach Hotels
Montreal Hotels
Myrtle Beach Hotels
Nashville Hotels
Negril Hotels
New Orleans Hotels
New York City Hotels
Orlando Hotels
Paris Hotels
Phoenix Hotels
Playa del Carmen Hotels
Puerto Plata Hotels
Puerto Vallarta Hotels
Punta Cana Hotels
Rome Hotels
San Antonio Hotels
San Diego Hotels
San Francisco Hotels
Seattle Hotels
Tampa Hotels
Toronto Hotels
Washington DC Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.