Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Deep-End Tour, no experience, little money, plenty of ambition
rajdhokia
post Aug 17 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 296113
Nominate me as a Local Expert

hey there people,

this is i guess exactly what it says. i am throwing myself in at the deep end. I am a 21 year old indian british lad, just finished university with a pile of debt and a degree that doesnt get me a job, (accounting and finance- who would have thought!)

so i've taken this jobless limbo as a blessing in disguise. i am selling my only real possesions, a car and my dj equipment to fund a once in a lifetime trip. don't dismiss me yet though because once i have paid off some debts and bought my ticket, visas and equipment, i will have about 300GBP on entry to Oz, with no access to anything else. I know the authorities require something like 2000 in a bank account so a friend is putting that in an account in my name but its not mine and i dont intend to use it (dont tell ;-) )

this is the trip as i have it planned so far -

25th October 2009 - Birmingham to Melbourne (Emirates) (2 months in Melbourne)

29th Decmeber 2009 - be in Sydney (any means of travel)

--->do Sydney, Brisbane and the Great Barrier Reef (any form of travel - 2 months) by

1st March 2010 - Brisbane to Auckland (Emirates)

--->make my way through New Zealand (2 months) by

1st May 2010 - Christchurch to Bangkok (Emirates)

---> do bangkok, ko sumui, phuket, kuala lumpur and singapore (7 weeks) by

23rd June 2010 - Singapore to Birmingham (Emirates) (Home)

this is a working holiday and i plan not to skimp on either part, i want to travel and enjoy all of my destinations but i love culture and i think working in an area is the best way to get involved with local culture - plus i will quite clearly need the money. so the flights are shown with an emirates tag. i want to be in sydney for new year for obvious reasons and then getting to each flight departure destination is my own problem. so thats getting to brisbane, christchurch and singapore on foot if i have to!

i have never travelled before and i that is the biggest conundrum - being prepared. If i am prepared, I reckon i can handle anything that comes my way. thats where i need your help. i've been reading many of the posts on the site and thank everyone for their input. i just need some more help and tips, anything you guys have would be appreciated.

so
ticket - CHECK (906)
australian working holiday visa (subclass 417) - CHECK (115)
New zealand working holiday visa - CHECK (50)
Lowe Alpine 65litre Rucksack - CHECK (Duke of Edinburgh days)
Eastpak Day pack - CHECK (20)
Berghaus Twister Softshell - CHECK (60)
Sprayway Waterproof/Windstoper - CHECK (DofE)
Cargo Shorts - CHECK
2x flip flops rugged (clarks) and leisure (superdry)
First Aid Kit
Camera (Have an ok one but searching for better)
Phone
Sunglasses
Benchmark Knife (hard to find in the UK but searching)

what i'm stuck on is boots and safety equipment mostly.
Merrells dont fit very well, Salomon fit great but not sure which pair are best for trekking around town but also fit for the blue mountains and wellington etc. the berghaus's i've tried seem abit overkill. really do need help on this. they will be very well used so not fussed about price at the moment.

As i will be hostelling alot and may find lodging and my person in less civilised areas of inhabitance, i need my stuff to be relatively protected. I've looked into PacSafe steel mesh protection and think i might go for something like that. what do you think?

-----I think i'll leave it there for now, will add abit tomorrow so please come back and anything anyone has to say will be greatly appreciated. anything from gear, to transport suggestions, jobs, legal stuff, accomodation suggestions, do's and dont's or even if anyone wants to join me at any point!

thanks and be well.
raj
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 18 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #2

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 103914

Wow, you are brave. Welcome to the forums! I can't believe you're not saving up a little more money before you go! What's the hurry?

My thoughts on a PacSafe: Waste of money and weight. If someone wants your stuff, they'll find a way to get it. Just be aware and do your best to secure your REALLY valuable possessions like credit card and passport. Everything else is just "stuff" anyway.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 18 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #3

hey starlagurl,

thanks for the reply. why the haste? i've always been a career boy with family expectations, plus its my brothers wedding in june so now is really the only time.

cheers for the advise on pacsafe, still not sure tho. see i'm taking my mac and another pricey bit of kit that will allow me to DJ while im out there to earn some cash but cheers for the point of view.

still really struggling on boots tho, think ive decided i need trekking boots for everything, looked at the salomon fasttracker's but they are based on their trainers so might not last in the mountians...

cheers and be well
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 18 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Hmmm... what percentage of your trip will you actually be hiking?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 18 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #5

not sure but i guess a fair bit. i want to visit the blue mountains and do the whole lord of the rings thing in wellington and i may be hiking up to the rice fields in vietnam. but i basically want to be ready for anything. i will be walking around the cities aswell ofcourse. I've had a car to do my dirty work for the last 4 years, time to use the pegs :-)
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
sianeth
post Aug 18 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Jet Setter

Member No.: 60100

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Aug 18 2009, 02:55 PM) *

My thoughts on a PacSafe: Waste of money and weight. If someone wants your stuff, they'll find a way to get it. Just be aware and do your best to secure your REALLY valuable possessions like credit card and passport. Everything else is just "stuff" anyway.

I agree - I reckon that will just draw more attention to your things, people will think you have something worth stealing. Actually good advice is probably to take things that aren't worth stealing in the first place!

Anyway, this trip will be awesome... you should be able to pick up a job relatively easily - fruit picking, bar work, receptionist kind of stuff. If you can find something in a hostel then you may wind up getting free accomodation/food out of it aswell so that may be a good choice if you're struggling for money.

Personally I wouldn't bother with boots, they're a bit chunky for me... I'd get a decent pair of trainers and rock and roll.

Good luck anyway - give us a shout if you need anything else, I can recommend some awesome places on the east coast of Oz smile.gif
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 18 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #7

Rolling Stone

QUOTE(rajdhokia @ Aug 18 2009, 12:05 PM) *
not sure but i guess a fair bit. i want to visit the blue mountains and do the whole lord of the rings thing in wellington and i may be hiking up to the rice fields in vietnam. but i basically want to be ready for anything. i will be walking around the cities aswell ofcourse. I've had a car to do my dirty work for the last 4 years, time to use the pegs :-)

Hmmm... if you're spending more than half your time in the mountains, I'd say buy boots, but if not, don't bother with them. Get some sturdy shoes or hiking sandals instead.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 18 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #8

cool cheers. anyone heard of CouchSurfing?? and no anything an Australian Tax File or Hospitality Responsibility Certificates??
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 18 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #9

Rolling Stone

I do Couchsurfing all the time, what do you want to know about it?

I've never heard of those other two things you mentioned

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 18 2009, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Well stumbled upon it yesterday and from what i can get from it is you sign up, search the city you are going to, its brings up a list of people which shows if they have a "couch" free or if they can meet for coffee or something and then you just stay at their house on their couch if everythings is cool?? for free....???

is that how it works? really cant be can it? really appreciate the help starlagurl.

Sianeth - thanks for the vote on pacsafe. I'm guessing you have done something similar? what was your trip?

be well
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 18 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #11

Rolling Stone

That's it... I've been doing it for more than 2 years now: http://www.couchsurfing.org/people/starlagurl/

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 18 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #12

lol ok then. i've added you, shame your not on the route! but canada is on the todo list. how many days is usually appropriate to stay will a couchsurfer host? and are there any unwritten rules?

thanks, be well
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 19 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #13

Rolling Stone

It all depends on each individual host. The important thing is communication and the unwritten rule is courtesy. Do unto others as you would have done unto yourself.

If you're not sure of something, ASK, don't just assume.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 26 2009, 02:21 PM
Post #14

so anyone know about this backpacker pilgrimage to a bondi beach on christmas day??
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 26 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #15

Rolling Stone

No... what is that, and why?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 26 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #16

was reading rough guide to east coast australia and under the important dates of the year there is new years in sydney for obvious reasons but then also some sort of mass party on bondi beach for all backpackers on christmas day. sounds cool.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 26 2009, 03:45 PM
Post #17

Rolling Stone

Oh I see... I think I'd rather be with my actual family on Christmas.

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
rajdhokia
post Aug 26 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #18

lol, i would if i could but they will be afew thousand miles away!! looking forward to this trip now, doing alcohol responsibility course on the internet tomorrow so should sail into jobs. got a camera sorted aswell, all coming together nicely.

anyone got any "must see's" for the any of my destinations or close to??
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
starlagurl
post Aug 27 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #19

Rolling Stone

Check my Bangkok blog for ideas maybe?!

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entri...03660/tpod.html

I can't remember if I sent it to you yet or not.

I liked seeing Hellfire Pass but I didn't like the "tiger temple" and the elephant rides we were forced to endure...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 02:56 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Australia

Adelaide Hotels
Airlie Beach Hotels
Albany Hotels
Albury Hotels
Alice Springs Hotels
Apollo Bay Hotels
Ballarat Hotels
Bendigo Hotels
Brisbane Hotels
Broadbeach Hotels
Broome Hotels
Byron Bay Hotels
Cairns Hotels
Caloundra Hotels
Canberra Hotels
Coffs Harbour Hotels
Coolangatta Hotels
Darwin Hotels
Hervey Bay Hotels
Hobart Hotels
Launceston Hotels
Mackay Hotels
Main Beach Hotels
Margaret River Hotels
Maroochydore Hotels
Melbourne Hotels
Mooloolaba Hotels
Newcastle Hotels
Noosa Hotels
Palm Cove Hotels
Perth Hotels
Pokolbin Hotels
Port Douglas Hotels
Port Macquarie Hotels
Rockhampton Hotels
St Kilda Hotels
Surfers Paradise Hotels
Sydney Hotels
Toowoomba Hotels
Townsville Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.